Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2018, 20:00   #11116
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Taxes are ₹450
2500 +18%GST=2950 per month
That would take net cost (phone + service plan) over 2 years to ~80k, as against ~70k if phone was bought outright and service plan separately. Convenient EMI-wise but not exactly interest-free as it would appear prima facie.
Old 24th April 2018, 21:44   #11117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Taxes are ₹450

2500 +18%GST=2950 per month

Out of 2499, 1667 is applied towards EMI and the balance of 832 will only attract GST. Effectively, 1667x24 plus 7500 is applied towards cost of the handset (as this is generally funded by hdfc or bajal fin) and the balance of 832 per month is plan charges.
Old 25th April 2018, 18:19   #11118
BHPian

In my opinion, we should also consider the time value of money. If we pay 75000 lumpsum today, considering a 6% inflation rate, the value of that money in 2 years is roughly 85000/-.
So as long as the EMI mode, doesn't exceed that, it is always better to pay in installments of any kind ( and invest the money not foregone today).
Old 25th April 2018, 18:36   #11119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
In my opinion, we should also consider the time value of money. If we pay 75000 lumpsum today, considering a 6% inflation rate, the value of that money in 2 years is roughly 85000/-.
So as long as the EMI mode, doesn't exceed that, it is always better to pay in installments of any kind ( and invest the money not foregone today).
In that case you should also consider the returns you can get by investing the EMI amount in any of the various instruments available.
Old 1st May 2018, 12:37   #11120
ZMG
BHPian

Hi All,

I have a iPhone 5s which was purchased in June 2016.
The battery has been acting up since the last 1 month.

Usually it used to last me for 24 hours before completely dying (coming close to 1%), but now, I have to charge it 3 times a day, and yet at night when I go to sleep with around 60% battery, in the morning the phone shuts off, or there is hardly 1% battery left.

I am wondering if it is a battery problem, or some SIM problem where the phone is working extra hard to catch signal.
I use Vodafone network and usually have 4G working.

I am also wondering if anyone has gone for battery replacement of iphone 5s? Original or 3rd party? And how much does it cost?

I want to use this phone at least till September 19, when the new generation of iphones come out again.

Thanks,
Old 1st May 2018, 13:36   #11121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMG View Post
Hi All,

Usually it used to last me for 24 hours before completely dying (coming close to 1%), but now, I have to charge it 3 times a day, and yet at night when I go to sleep with around 60% battery, in the morning the phone shuts off, or there is hardly 1% battery left.

I am wondering if it is a battery problem, or some SIM problem where the phone is working extra hard to catch signal.

I am also wondering if anyone has gone for battery replacement of iphone 5s? Original or 3rd party? And how much does it cost?

I want to use this phone at least till September 19, when the new generation of iphones come out again.

Thanks,
I suggest you do an iTunes back up + factory reset routine once to ensure if its really a battery issue. Owing to the battery replacement program by Apple, the cost will be around 2K + taxes from an Apple authorized service center
Old 1st May 2018, 21:05   #11122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I suggest you do an iTunes back up + factory reset routine once to ensure if its really a battery issue. Owing to the battery replacement program by Apple, the cost will be around 2K + taxes from an Apple authorized service center

I do not think 5s is part of this replacement program. The program is for iPhones 6 and above.
Old 2nd May 2018, 05:43   #11123
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi All,

Easiest way to confirm if its a battery problem or related to network is to put the phone in Aeroplane mode for a night before you go to sleep. Check the battery percentage at this point, and then compare once you are awake in the morning.

If the battery is not consumed much, then you know for sure its network related. If it shows the same behavior as you notice now, for sure its related to the battery hardware.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:39   #11124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a iPhone 5s which was purchased in June 2016. The battery has been acting up since the last 1 month.

I am wondering if it is a battery problem, or some SIM problem where the phone is working extra hard to catch signal. I use Vodafone network and usually have 4G working.
Classic signs of a battery dying. Poor network reception doesn't drain the battery to this extent. But keep in mind it could be a rogue application too. Back up your data using iTunes, do a reset and an OS upgrade if available. Monitor the phone battery for a day or two and you will have your confirmation.

But I think the battery is a goner.

Quote:
Budget about 4-5k for a genuine battery. Alternatively an aftermarket battery will do if you intend selling/exchanging the phone. These are a fraction of the cost.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:58   #11125
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

My cousin currently faces the same issue with his 5S especially after upgrading to iOS 11. Does taking a step down to iOS 10.3.2 help? Was asking the same in couple of AASS, however they don't recommend / support the suggestion. Wonder why.

Cheers,
Vijay
Old 2nd May 2018, 10:47   #11126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
My cousin currently faces the same issue with his 5S especially after upgrading to iOS 11.
That's because his battery is on it's last legs. These are consumables and must be replaced after the rated # of charge/discharge cycles is exhausted. As with a car or laptop etc you should budget for a replacement battery depending on how you use the handset. This applies to any mobile phone from any company.

Quote:
Does taking a step down to iOS 10.3.2 help? Was asking the same in couple of AASS, however they don't recommend / support the suggestion. Wonder why
You cannot downgrade to 10.x.x as this version of iOS is no longer offered by Apple. The service centres will stick to Apple's guidance in these matters.

In fact version iOS 11.3.x can inform the owner if handset performance is being compromised by the battery and if a replacement is advised.
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:20   #11127

Hi All,

Can anyone please share your experience of using a sim-free iPhone purchased in the US, in India. Was planning to ask my friend to get 8+, price difference is almost 18k. Wanted to know if there are any issues faced, as the frequency used by telephone operators over there is different from India.
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:41   #11128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakra View Post
Can anyone please share your experience of using a sim-free iPhone purchased in the US, in India. Was planning to ask my friend to get 8+, price difference is almost 18k. Wanted to know if there are any issues faced, as the frequency used by telephone operators over there is different from India.
I bought my 6 this way. Bought a contract-free phone from the AT&T store at full price.

I was still asked to drop AT&T Cust Care an email mentioning my phone no. and device IMEI; it is a mere formality to make the phone carrier-independent.

I got the device to India in June '15 when 4G was just about being implemented. Airtel 4G worked on my phone in NCR and KA but not in MH. I went to the Airtel office in Pune and was asked me for the IMEI. When the guy figured that it was a US-purchase, he said Airtel MH doesn't support all bands for 4G yet and that it could take a few months. Sure enough, 4G started working in a few months.

Someone posted the same query a few pages back and I gave the same answer; someone else then mentioned that such a problem wouldn't exist anymore for some reason.

All said and done, get the phone from the US. With a US-purchase warranty now valid in India, no reason not to buy a phone there, given the significantly lower cost.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 2nd May 2018 at 14:56.
Old 2nd May 2018, 14:53   #11129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakra View Post
Hi All,

Can anyone please share your experience of using a sim-free iPhone purchased in the US, in India.
My wife's 8 + is a US purchased set. I bought and paid for it online, selected a store near my cousin's place for pick-up and she picked it up on the desired date.
You can buy from India and assign your contact in US to pick up the phone.

Regarding the bands, newer iphones have all the possible bands ( 3,5,40) required for LTE in India,so unlike the 6, 8+ will work regardless.
You can also purchase the Apple Care/EW, before the end of 1 year, here in India, to extend the warranty and not opt for Apple Care in US, as it is expensive there ( and it has to be done within 30 or 60 days (?).
Old 3rd May 2018, 10:52   #11130

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
You can buy from India and assign your contact in US to pick up the phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I bought my 6 this way. Bought a contract-free phone from the AT&T store at full price.
Thank you both for the quick responses. Really proud to be part of this forum, where you can ask any query under the sky and can expect a quick response. All because of esteemed members like you

Most Viewed