Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2020, 09:11   #12616
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post

I am in market for a new iPhone but I was planning to wait until iPhone 12 launch but then I was wondering whether I will even spend the money iPhone 12 (non pro models) will command. And 11 may be cheaper then as well. Currently, I am using iPhone 5S (yes that is not a typo) as my iPhone 6S is unusable due to being incompatible (partially) with Airtel / Jio networks.
The iPhone 12 is expected to bring a completely new design language. I feel the non pro variants will be priced similarly to the current iPhone 11. The 11 and XR have helped Apple massively in terms of sales volumes. I doubt they'll increase the price by too much. Once the 12 launches, I expect the 11 to be priced around the 45k mark (similar to the XR now). At that price it will be a brilliant buy.
Old 19th March 2020, 10:03   #12617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Currently, I am using iPhone 5S (yes that is not a typo) as my iPhone 6S is unusable due to being incompatible (partially) with Airtel / Jio networks.
Is that so? What is the incompatibility? My wife has been using her airtel sim in her 6S and everything seems to be working just fine.
Old 19th March 2020, 11:46   #12618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Is that so? What is the incompatibility? My wife has been using her airtel sim in her 6S and everything seems to be working just fine.
Mine is a verizon iPhone 6S and it has some issues with the LTE Band 40 wherein when connected to this band on Jio / Airtel networks (Mumbai circle), data would not work in spite of showing full LTE signal. The iPhone 5S does not even have Band 40 (it is Boost mobile variant from US) and Airtel only connects to Band 3 for LTE on my 5S and it works fine.
On rare instances when my 6S connects to band 3 on Airtel for LTE, it works fine. I had switched from Vodafone to Airtel two months back and in vodafone, 6S was working fine as Vodafone does not use Band 40 (I believe) in Mumbai circle.
The only way to use the 6S is to go back to Vodafone which I plan to do once my 3+ months are up with Airtel.

Last edited by raksrules : 19th March 2020 at 11:49.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:42   #12619
BHPian

iOs 13.4 update available now.

iOS 13.4 introduces new Memoji stickers and iCloud Drive folder sharing from the Files app. This update also contains bug fixes and improvements.

Memoji
  • Nine new Memoji stickers, including Smiling Face with Hearts, Hands Pressed Together, and Party Face
Files
  • iCloud Drive folder sharing from the Files app
  • Controls to limit access only to people you explicitly invite or grant access to anyone with the folder link
  • Permissions to choose who can make changes and upload files and who can only view and download files
Mail
  • Always-visible controls to delete, move, reply to, or compose a message in conversation view
  • Responses to encrypted emails are automatically encrypted when you have configured S/MIME
App Store with Apple Arcade
  • Universal Purchase support enables the use of a singular purchase of a participating app across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
  • Recently played Arcade games appear in the Arcade tab so you can continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
  • List view for See All Games
CarPlay
  • Third-party navigation app support for the CarPlay Dashboard
  • In-call information appears on the CarPlay Dashboard
Augmented Reality
  • AR Quick Look supports audio playback in USDZ files
Keyboard
  • Predictive typing support for Arabic
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
  • Adds status bar indicator to display when VPN has disconnected on iPhone models with all-screen displays
  • Fixes an issue in Camera where the viewfinder may appear as a black screen after launch
  • Addresses an issue where Photos may appear to use excess storage
  • Resolves an issue in Photos that may prevent sharing an image to Messages if iMessage is disabled
  • Fixes an issue in Mail where messages may appear out of order
  • Addresses an issue in Mail where the conversation list may display empty rows
  • Resolves an issue where Mail may crash when tapping the Share button in Quick Look
  • Fixes an issue in Settings where cellular data may incorrectly display as off
  • Addresses an issue in Safari where webpages may not be inverted when both Dark Mode and Smart Invert are active
  • Resolves an issue where text copied from web content may appear invisible when pasted when Dark Mode is active
  • Fixes an issue in Safari where a CAPTCHA tile may display incorrectly
  • Addresses an issue where Reminders may not issue new notifications for an overdue recurring reminder until it is marked as completed
  • Resolves an issue where Reminders may send notifications for completed reminders
  • Fixes an issue where iCloud Drive appears to be available in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote even when not signed in
  • Addresses an issue in Apple Music where music videos may not stream in high quality
  • Resolves an issue where CarPlay may lose its connection in certain vehicles
  • Fixes an issue in CarPlay where the view in Maps may move away briefly from the current area
  • Addresses an issue in the Home app where tapping an activity notification from a security camera may open a different recording
  • Resolves an issue where Shortcuts may not appear when tapping on the Share menu from a screenshot
  • Improves the Burmese keyboard so punctuation symbols are now accessible from numbers and symbols
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

iPadOS 13.4 introduces support for mouse and trackpad with iPad for greater precision and navigating the system with Multi-Touch gestures, and adds iCloud Drive folder sharing from the Files app and new Memoji stickers. This update also contains bug fixes and improvements.

Mouse and Trackpad Support
  • All-new cursor design highlights app icons on the Home Screen and Dock and buttons and controls in apps
  • Magic Keyboard for iPad support on iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation or later) and iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation or later)
  • Magic Mouse, Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad, Magic Trackpad 2, and third-party Bluetooth and USB mouse support
  • Multi-Touch gestures on Magic Keyboard for iPad and Magic Trackpad 2 enable you to scroll, swipe between app spaces, go Home, access App Switcher, zoom in or out, tap to click, secondary click (right-click), and swipe between pages
  • Multi-Touch gestures on Magic Mouse 2 enable you to scroll, secondary click (right-click), and swipe between pages
Files
  • iCloud Drive folder sharing from the Files app
  • Controls to limit access only to people you explicitly invite or grant access to anyone with the folder link
  • Permissions to choose who can make changes and upload files and who can only view and download files
Memoji
  • Nine new Memoji stickers, including Smiling Face with Hearts, Hands Pressed Together, and Party Face
Mail
  • Always-visible controls to delete, move, reply to, or compose a message in conversation view
  • Responses to encrypted emails are automatically encrypted when you have configured S/MIME
App Store with Apple Arcade
  • Universal Purchase support enables the use of a singular purchase of a participating app across iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
  • Recently played Arcade games appear in the Arcade tab so you can continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
  • List view for See All Games
Augmented Reality
  • AR Quick Look supports audio playback in USDZ files
Keyboard
  • Live Conversion for Zhuyin automatically transforms Zhuyin into the correct characters without pressing the space bar to convert text or select candidates
  • Live Conversion for Japanese automatically transforms Hiragana into the correct characters without pressing the space bar to convert text or select candidates
  • Predictive typing support for Arabic
  • Swiss German keyboard layout supported on iPad Pro 12.9-inch
  • On-screen keyboard layout for iPad Pro 12.9-inch now matches Smart Keyboard
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements. This update:
  • Fixes an issue in Camera where the viewfinder may appear as a black screen after launch
  • Addresses an issue where Photos may appear to use excess storage
  • Resolves an issue in Photos that may prevent sharing an image to Messages if iMessage is disabled
  • Fixes an issue in Mail where messages may appear out of order
  • Addresses an issue in Mail where the conversation list may display empty rows
  • Resolves an issue where Mail may crash when tapping the Share button in Quick Look
  • Fixes an issue in Settings where cellular data may incorrectly display as off
  • Addresses an issue in Safari where webpages may not be inverted when both Dark Mode and Smart Invert are active
  • Resolves an issue where text copied from web content in a third-party app may appear invisible when pasted if Dark Mode is active
  • Fixes an issue in Safari where a CAPTCHA tile may display incorrectly
  • Addresses an issue where Reminders may not issue new notifications for an overdue recurring reminder until it is marked as completed
  • Resolves an issue where Reminders may send notifications for completed reminders
  • Fixes an issue where iCloud Drive appears to be available in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote even when not signed in
  • Addresses an issue in Apple Music where music videos may not stream in high quality
  • Addresses an issue in the Home app where tapping an activity notification from a security camera may open a different recording
  • Resolves an issue where Shortcuts may not appear when tapping on the Share menu from a screenshot
  • Improves the Burmese keyboard so punctuation symbols are now accessible from numbers and symbols
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
riteshritesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 18:55   #12620
Senior - BHPian

Need some help folks. Im having difficulty in transferring photos from my iPhone to my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to do it thru iTunes but it does not look like all the photos are getting transferred, not even 1/5th of the photos got moved after 20-30 mins.
I also tried to just do a a simple copy paste by accessing the iPhone thru folders and here again after a while I get a message stating that the phone is not connected.

What is it that Im doing wrong? I have never faced such issues in transferring photos in my earlier windows XP, but now I use windows 10 and it just doesnt allow simple copy of data from my phone for one reason or the other.

The issue is, both my wife and myself have iPhone XRs which are filled with pics and now we are running out of space in the phone.
Old 25th March 2020, 19:08   #12621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

The issue is, both my wife and myself have iPhone XRs which are filled with pics and now we are running out of space in the phone.
I use an XR and my laptop runs on windows 10.
At the beginning I faced the same problem with my XR. My 6S used to work flawlessly with windows 10.

What I do is, if I need to transfer 100 pics, I first copy 10 pics and transfer it. I do it part by part. It works for me.
Old 25th March 2020, 19:33   #12622
BHPian

Quote:
Need some help folks. I'm having difficulty in transferring photos from my iPhone to my Windows 10 laptop.
Hey, Motorworks, when you are done exploring all the options, please try the following one:

use: SynciOS

I have never used iTunes and I have on iOS platform for more than 12 years now. SynciOS is a simple file manager that simply needs one-time authorization from your phone and rest you have the access to your complete phone.

Pros:
1. Brilliantly designed & friendly UI just like windows explorer
2. You can transfer messages, contacts, songs, pics, directly transfer videos in VLC(if installed), etc just by copying and pasting. No 'sync' required
3. Best to use multiple devices as it doesn't try to wipe off a new device when connecting as in the case of iTunes
4. Simple copy and paste feature from and to iOS
5. Actually shows which task the program is working on and which file the program is transferring, if doing so
6. Many more

PS: Did I tell you its free

Do let me know if you want any help in setting up the same. Cheers!
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2020, 20:15   #12623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Need some help folks. Im having difficulty in transferring photos from my iPhone to my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to do it thru iTunes but it does not look like all the photos are getting transferred, not even 1/5th of the photos got moved after 20-30 mins.

Are you recording videos in 4K? I think this issue is because of the Win10 PC not being able to read the video files and that will lead to some connection issues. Deselect videos and copy only the pictures and this problem should not happen. I faced this issue and later switched back to Full HD recording for videos and I didnt face any issue. When I try to copy 4K videos to my Win 7 PC, everything is fine. But not the case with Windows 10
Old 26th March 2020, 14:17   #12624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
What I do is, if I need to transfer 100 pics, I first copy 10 pics and transfer it. I do it part by part. It works for me.
This is exactly what I do too to transfer pictures from my IP7 to my Windows 10 PC. Additionally, to copy more content in one go, just sort the pictures/videos as per size & start transferring from the smallest sized ones (more number of files in one go). For large sized files (mostly videos), transfer 1 or 2 at a time. I understand its time consuming; but that’s the only solution that has worked for me.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2020, 17:02   #12625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also tried to just do a a simple copy paste by accessing the iPhone thru folders and here again after a while I get a message stating that the phone is not connected.
I had a similar issue with taking a backup to iTunes for my Wife’s 8 Plus. The error was the same which you are getting. The Apple Helpdesk suggested changing the cable. In spite of my cable which looked to be in perfect condition, I went and bought a new one. The problem was solved. Try it out and update us.

Cheers
Old 29th March 2020, 09:16   #12626
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for all your replies, I tried doing many things again, however the issue persisted. I even downloaded sync iOS in my laptop but that too failed to detect the device, in spite of me changing the cable. So finally I accessed each of the photo folders in the iPhone and manually copied only the JPEG files and not the AAE and Video files. Im guessing the issue is when you try to copy the Live Photos and videos, which may have been in 4k at times. So photo back up taken now, the videos and other files in formats like AAE, PNG are still in my phone, I thought I will give it a shot sometime later.
Old 30th March 2020, 16:39   #12627

Quote:
So photo back up taken now, the videos and other files in formats like AAE, PNG are still in my phone, I thought I will give it a shot sometime later.
Not sure if you have tried this already but if you have photos backed up on iCloud, its very easy to download from there. Earlier I had installed iTunes on my work laptop which allowed access to photos over explorer. Later when laptop got changed, I didn't want to install iTunes just for accessing pictures so started using iCloud since.
Old 2nd April 2020, 07:10   #12628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Seems like you are better off going for the iPhone 11 Pro for now. Trust me its the best phone for photography right now. I haven’t used the S20 Ultra, so can’t really comment on that in terms of comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Given the current situation, I wonder what the state of R&D spend and technology releases will be this year; especially since bulk of the manufacturing is in China. May be exaggeration but we don't know how much worse the Corona situation will get and how companies will recover.
Got the 11 Pro 256GB yesterday. Thank you for the suggestions.

Initial impressions are good; after a while felt happy moving back to the iPhone. The size is just right and the new Midnight Green shade is a welcome change. And the camera setup is awesome! Though I am tempted to use the phone without an additional skin/case, it probably won’t be a good idea considering the glass back (my last iPhone was the 7 and used it without a case for more than two years). Ordered this from Amazon.

The iPhone Thread-fafbbd2479f44d5599faeb7f34745433.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd April 2020 at 07:19. Reason: Picture added
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:46   #12629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Got the 11 Pro 256GB yesterday. Thank you for the suggestions. Ordered this from Amazon.

Attachment 1987120
Good choice and been using the same since 6 months with same spigen liquid air case. good fit and protection for our phone, but it's bulgy and imprint the inner design back in our phone which needs cleaning at least a week.
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:02   #12630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Good choice and been using the same since 6 months with same spigen liquid air case. good fit and protection for our phone, but it's bulgy and imprint the inner design back in our phone which needs cleaning at least a week.
Thank you! Bulgy means it adds to the size? From the pictures I thought it will be quite thin. Maybe cancel the order and try another one?

My S10 has this thin transparent case which came with the phone. Maybe should get something similar to that?

The iPhone Thread-b8ca798bd7704722a9b993b78868ac53.jpeg

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd April 2020 at 11:12.

Most Viewed