Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2020, 15:16   #12766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselritzer View Post
Does it make sense to buy an iPhone 7 32GB variant now? I don't play high res games on mobile & want a fluid, safe and stock OS experience. My budget is 30k.

Why not spend 8k more and get the latest iPhone SE. It even has more storage.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 22:16   #12767
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Does it make sense to buy an iPhone 7 32GB variant now? I don't play high res games on mobile & want a fluid, safe and stock OS experience. My budget is 30k.

With IPhone 7 you will get 2 more IOS updates, given that 6s is gonna get iOS 14. So you are fairly future ready. However, because iPhone runs an older processor, the new software will hurt the battery even more.

I am using iPhone 7 for the past 3 years and the only real problem I face is battery drain. Battery health is at 83%.

So in that sense iPhone SE makes much more sense. Also you get more RAM, more ROM, wireless charging , better camera, better video recording and of course better battery life as it's using the latest processor/hardware. You would be set for the next 3-4 years easy.

If you don't want to shell out Rs 38k right now I would suggest wait till the year end when the Great Indian sale comes (Amazon/Flipkart) and then I am pretty sure you will get it for around 30k.Last year during that sale XR was available for as low as Rs 36k.

Last edited by Waspune : 4th July 2020 at 22:19.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 22:34   #12768
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Doesn't make sense at all as mentioned by others as well its better you spend a bit more and go for the SE its much better in every aspect and you wouldn't regret paying the extra amount over the long term.

Since you talked about stock experience have a look at the One Plus 7T as well if you are looking for a phone with a larger display its price is comparable to the SE and also the experience is almost stock.

Maybe also have a look at the Pixel 3a for the stock android experience and better camera.

Hope this helps.
sv97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 18:42   #12769
BHPian

Hey guys, On the night of 24th March (the night lockdown was introduced) my iPhone 6S fell from my desk and it's screen completely broke. I don't just mean cracked, the screen went black and refused to switch back on.

A few days ago I visited my local apple service centre and they told me that the motherboard was broken and the phone cannot be fixed - instead they gave me an offer to replace it with another 6S 32GB for 28,000 rupees.

So I'm now having to choose between 3 options -
1) Get my broken 6S replaced with another 6S from the service centre - 28,000 for another 32GB phone

2) Buy a new iPhone 7 from my local Apple store - 36,800 for a 128GB model

3) Buy the new iPhone SE 2 - 42,000 for a 64GB variant.

Which one do you guys think I should choose? I'm primarily choosing between the 7 and SE, the 6S is too old to buy now and 28K is too high a price.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 18:49   #12770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrayus_shirali View Post
2) Buy a new iPhone 7 from my local Apple store - 36,800 for a 128GB model
3) Buy the new iPhone SE 2 - 42,000 for a 64GB variant.

Which one do you guys think I should choose? I'm primarily choosing between the 7 and SE, the 6S is too old to buy now and 28K is too high a price.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks
In my opinion, its better to go for SE2 since incremental cost is just 5K over iPhone7. I suppose 64 GB is quite enough as compared to 6S 32 GB. Look online if store is not giving any discount for either of the models (7/SE2)
abhi_tjet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 19:01   #12771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
better battery life as it's using the latest processor/hardware. You would be set for the next 3-4 years easy.
The battery life will be WORSE because it runs on the latest processor. Honestly, the SE is daylight robbery. It has a puny 1800 mAH battery. You could buy 2 better phones at that price.
evoker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 19:04   #12772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any help would be appreciated
Getting the (five year old) 6s for 28k makes absolutely no sense. What's your budget? Look out for deals; you may get the Xr for sub-50k soon.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 19:11   #12773
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Which one do you guys think I should choose? I'm primarily choosing between the 7 and SE, the 6S is too old to buy now and 28K is too high a price...

No brainier. Go for the iPhone SE. There are some offers I believe on Flipkart. So you might get it for a lot lesser than the amount you mentioned.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th July 2020 at 19:17. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 19:42   #12774
BHPian

Did any one updated the OS to 13.5.1? I’m seeing the battery cruncher is back. I’m made to charge my phone at least twice a day which was not the case in the earlier version.
saisree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 19:56   #12775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
Did any one updated the OS to 13.5.1? I’m seeing the battery cruncher is back. I’m made to charge my phone at least twice a day which was not the case in the earlier version.
I updated my 11 to 13.5.1 sometime back, the battery life is excellent. Which model are you using/talking about?

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 21:22   #12776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I updated my 11 to 13.5.1 sometime back, the battery life is excellent. Which model are you using/talking about?

Cheers
Oh good to know. Mine is iPhone 7S and it doesn’t last longer.
Old 8th July 2020, 13:32   #12777
BHPian

Quote:
I have the same issue with my iPhone7, having to recharge twice a day despite very low usage. This is with a new battery, changed few weeks back.
Old 9th July 2020, 01:47   #12778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it’s apple’s software that tends to eat up battery quite easily at a faster rate. My 6S is charged atleast twice a day now. It’s either battery’s life degrading / the software is designed to eat up battery and make us think on upgrading to a new iPhone

Apart from battery issue, my phone (2016) is in immaculate condition and I’ve no plans of upgrading at the moment. Apple makes good devices that lasts a lifetime. But, their own quality is a bit of a downer for them in terms of making people switch to newer models from their line up. Thus, the practice we can also recall they had admitted to making old phones slower through their software updates.

This is from business standpoint for sure. But, honestly their new OS keeps taking phones resources too because it contains substantial updates over the predecessor versions which is understandable.

Regards

RV
Old 9th July 2020, 12:22   #12779
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Well, it’s apple’s software that tends to eat up battery quite easily at a faster rate. My 6S is charged atleast twice a day now. It’s either battery’s life degrading / the software is designed to eat up battery
What is the battery health of your 6S ? I also have a 2016 iPhone 6s & had installed a new battery on 8th June & as of today battery health is down from 100% to 98% !
I also charge the phone twice a day but this is more due to watching Netflix for 7-8hrs a day.
Old 9th July 2020, 13:31   #12780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
What is the battery health of your 6S ? I also have a 2016 iPhone 6s & had installed a new battery on 8th June & as of today battery health is down from 100% to 98% !
I also charge the phone twice a day but this is more due to watching Netflix for 7-8hrs a day.
My battery health shows 71% lol. How much did it cost you for battery replacement? 7-8 hours of screen time is absolutely above normal I am thinking of battery replacement now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks