Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:10   #12721
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Experts can chip in, but I think its something like if the phone is heated up more than normal levels, the charging stops at 80% to save battery life
This has happened every single day for the past 3-4 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
How old is the handset and how much is the max capacity left? Do one thing, drain it to 0% till the handset turns off automatically. Then recharge to 100% with optimised charging switched off.
The phone is exactly a year old. Bought it last May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Can you turn off the phone, keep it for charging overnight and note the percentage?
Yes, this is something I will try today.

I usually quick charge my phone with my iPad charger. So it builds up really fast till 80% and then stops. The battery health is at 80% and there is no dip in the overall performance.

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2020 at 07:01. Reason: Typos.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 08:50   #12722
Senior - BHPian

Update: I think it was the heat. I charged my phone last night and it went up to 100% with no problems.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 11:30   #12723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I couldn't agree more. I have been planning for an upgrade from my 8+ for over a year. And every time I pick up wife's XR, I can't resist cursing apple for the notch and thickness To top it off, Touch ID felt to be a lot more convenient than the Face ID.
I use an iPhone XR for my daily use. So far I was ok with no touch ID, but now with the mask on I also started cursing apple.
This is a bigger problem when you are out buying something and want to pay via gpay/paytm, face id does not work because of mask and you are forced to enter password every time.
Old 24th May 2020, 00:04   #12724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
I use an iPhone XR for my daily use. So far I was ok with no touch ID, but now with the mask on I also started cursing apple.

This is a bigger problem when you are out buying something and want to pay via gpay/paytm, face id does not work because of mask and you are forced to enter password every time.

There is no point cursing Apple. Nobody could have seen this coming. In fact, Apple has a solution for you. Buy the new SE.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 21:06   #12725
Senior - BHPian

Folks, what is the adapter I need if I have to use my Apple lightning EarPods with a laptop? So essentially the lighting pin needs to connect to an audio jack which can then connect to a laptop.
Old 2nd June 2020, 13:17   #12726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Folks, what is the adapter I need if I have to use my Apple lightning EarPods with a laptop? So essentially the lighting pin needs to connect to an audio jack which can then connect to a laptop.
I don't think such an adapter exists, because it would need some sort of digital to analog converter.

There is however, a lightning to USB-C adapter you can use, assuming your laptop has a USB-C port.
Old 2nd June 2020, 18:21   #12727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Round about way.

https://eassycart.com/electronics/mo...hoC_k8QAvD_BwE

Connect 3.5 to 3.5 cable from laptop to the small 3.5 to lighting that came as OE. Then use the above adapter to link the male lightning pin of the earphone and the OE 3.5 connector. Have not tried it so this is a theory.
Old 2nd June 2020, 19:46   #12728
Senior - BHPian

Is this what you need?
Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-screen-shot-20200602-7.45.37-pm.png  

Old 2nd June 2020, 19:58   #12729
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I don't think such an adapter exists, because it would need some sort of digital to analog converter.

There is however, a lightning to USB-C adapter you can use, assuming your laptop has a USB-C port.

Thanks, this seems perfect, but I cannot see this in Indian E-commerce sites like Amazon and Flipkart. Will keep checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Round about way.

https://eassycart.com/electronics/mo...hoC_k8QAvD_BwE

Connect 3.5 to 3.5 cable from laptop to the small 3.5 to lighting that came as OE. Then use the above adapter to link the male lightning pin of the earphone and the OE 3.5 connector. Have not tried it so this is a theory.

That seems a bit cumbersome, not sure about this connector too since Im not able to see it in Amazon and flipkart etc, but surely will explore this.

Quote:
Is this what you need?

Actually what I need is a way to connect my lightning pin based Original Apple earphones to my laptop, so that some of these Microsoft teams calls can be handled thru that. Unfortunately I dont have a regular earphone which can be easily plugged to the laptop.

But im guessing its not a long term requirement since offices have anyway started opening up, so I was just wondering if there is any hack for the short term

The only other alternative seem to be buying a pair of new entry level wireless earphones, say from JBL or Sony, but Im not inclined since I know I wouldnt use it beyond the work from home office calls.

Last edited by motorworks : 2nd June 2020 at 19:59.
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:22   #12730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is this what you need?
The reverse.

He needs something where the lightning pin end goes into the adapter and the 3.5mm pin goes into the audio source.

Not straightforward because it would need a DAC built into the adapter.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2020, 14:08   #12731
PPS
Senior - BHPian

My 2016 iPhone 6s battery health is now at 78% & I have to charge the phone 2-3 times a day due to heavy usage. From several posts on this thread, the cost of replacing the battery seems to be around 5k.
Was wondering whether to get it done at Authorized Service Centre or try the iCare or iService kind of after market service? Don't have any experience of using either. Does anyone know of a reliable centre in the Western Suburbs of Mumbai?
Although its part of essential services, finding a service centre which is open will be a challenge considering Mumbai is still under lockdown!
Old 6th June 2020, 18:40   #12732
BHPian

Quote:
The only other alternative seem to be buying a pair of new entry level wireless earphones, say from JBL or Sony, but Im not inclined since I know I wouldnt use it beyond the work from home office calls.
I was also looking for a similar solution years back and was not able to locate such accessory even on Aliexpress. Trust be even if apple releases some conversation jack for this, it will cost much more than a basic headset with mic for laptop (usb/3.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
My 2016 iPhone 6s battery health is now at 78% & I have to charge the phone 2-3 times a day due to heavy usage. From several posts on this thread, the cost of replacing the battery seems to be around 5k.
My 2017 iPhone 7 is showing 74% and needs immediate replacement. I am planning to take it to a authorized service center soon. I think you can book appointment through apple website for select stores:

https://getsupport.apple.com/
Old 6th June 2020, 20:17   #12733
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I am planning to take it to a authorized service center soon. I think you can book appointment through apple website for select stores:
Yes, I guess that is the proper procedure but fortunately for me I emailed the authorized service centre yesterday & today afternoon they told me to reach the service centre in the evening. I've been quoted 3.5k to replace the battery of my 6s. Strangely another email from someone from the same service centre quoted 6k-8k for the same.

Anyways, my iPhone 6s is with the service centre now. There is an issue with the display also which i've documented in the below post. I was told to fix the new battery they also need to open up the display & things could go wrong as well! The patch could get worse. So i was quoted 11k for a new display & 2k as service charge. I've told them just to put the new battery & then check if all is ok with the display & await my instructions. Have been told I'll get the phone back on Tuesday.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4659082 (The iPhone Thread)
Old 18th June 2020, 13:06   #12734
PPS
Senior - BHPian

^^ Gave my iPhone in on Saturday evening & received it back on Monday evening with my battery replaced. I guess battery should be good for a year or two atleast, hoping the blemish on the display holds up for a year or two!

The iPhone Thread-1063910.jpeg
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 08:12   #12735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
^^ Gave my iPhone in on Saturday evening & received it back on Monday evening with my battery replaced. I guess battery should be good for a year or two atleast, hoping the blemish on the display holds up for a year or two!

Attachment 2018032

I got mine replaced my 6S's battery during the battery program that came after the throttlegate.

After 1.5 years, it's at 90%. But it's no longer my primary phone. I use the 6s everyday, and without a sim; for multimedia purposes only - watching movies, browsing, shopping and playing music.

I feel the replacement battery isn't as great as the first one. But it does prolong the life of the phone. The original battery was at 82% when I replaced it after 3 years and needed a charge twice a day.

The 6s is a worthy phone for a midlife refresh/battery replacement. Even today, I only find the camera to be lacking in comparison to my current phone. Of course, there are a lot of upgrades in my new phone.. but not a lot that I really perceive.

And it still has a 3.5mm socket!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks