Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2020, 18:16   #12706
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjax View Post
It came with my 8 too. So probably stopped with the XS.
I bought an iPhone 8 in January this year, and it didn't come with one. :/
Old 26th April 2020, 19:50   #12707

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkv_2401 View Post
I bought an iPhone 8 in January this year, and it didn't come with one. :/
Oh ok. Bought mine back in 2017. So maybe it is a 2018/19 decision to exclude it from all phones thereafter - not specific to models.
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:33   #12708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Purchased Two XR's and a 11Pro last year.
None of them came with a lightning to 3.5mm adapter. Afaik, Apple has never shipped one with any of their phones.
I got one with my IP7+ when purchased in March 2017. The handset was manufactured & imported in Jan 2017. They probably discontinued it subsequently. It's probably because they want to encourage BT headphones/earbuds, especially their airpods, and save some $ on headphone sockets and lightning adaptors.

On a different topic - my IP7's replacement battery turns 1 year old this month and capacity still shows 97%. I was a little concerned when it dropped from 100 to 97% within a few months after installation. I still keep it within the 40-80% charge range as far as possible and switch on optimised battery charging. I was very tempted to buy the IP11 Pro Max in Dec but postponed it because the old handset serves my purpose and functions perfectly. TBH I hate the notch and hope the IP12 comes without it.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd May 2020 at 07:34.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 07:53   #12709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
TBH I hate the notch and hope the IP12 comes without it.
The design of the IP12 is all but confirmed and it seems from all the leaks and scoops doing the rounds that the notch stays albeit smaller and more concise.

Frankly, to me the notch is so much better than the camera cut out. And if the newer one is smaller I will take it over any of those big black dots on the screen that has become all the rage.

Last edited by bigron : 2nd May 2020 at 08:12.
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:02   #12710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The design of the IP12 is all but confirmed and it seems from all the leaks and scoops doing the rounds that the notch stays albeit smaller and more concise.

Frankly, to me the notch is so much better than the camera cut out. And if the newer one is smaller I will take it over any of those big black dots on the screen that has become all the rage.
Oh well, a smaller notch is more acceptable though I'd rather do without one. A clean uninterrupted edge-to-edge display (as with my IP7+) is what I'd always prefer. Sometimes I really wonder what the heck Apple''s designers are up to. Just because it's Apple dishing out some design eccentricities out doesn't mean I have to like them.

PS - yeah, it has 5G connectivity so it's something I may be interested in. I don't upgrade my phones annually like in the past so hopefully its 5G capabilities will be put to use in the future. But I also expect the price to be a bit mind numbing.

Last edited by R2D2 : 2nd May 2020 at 09:06.
Old 2nd May 2020, 10:32   #12711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh well, a smaller notch is more acceptable though I'd rather do without one. A clean uninterrupted edge-to-edge display (as with my IP7+) is what I'd always prefer. Sometimes I really wonder what the heck Apple''s designers are up to. Just because it's Apple dishing out some design eccentricities out doesn't mean I have to like them.

PS - yeah, it has 5G connectivity so it's something I may be interested in. I don't upgrade my phones annually like in the past so hopefully its 5G capabilities will be put to use in the future. But I also expect the price to be a bit mind numbing.
True that! Nothing beats a full edge to edge display. Even if there are some bezels, a screen without any cuts and curves and notches is the only way to go.

With design, apple doesnt care. They come out with something and expect people to lap it up. The notch was so 2018 but they still want one and people will still buy it.

From the news I ve heard/read, the new IP pros will stat at the same 999 - 1099 price point and the cheaper 12 will undercut the current 11.

Lets see, if they even manage to launch the phones without delays first.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:25   #12712
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
True that! Nothing beats a full edge to edge display. Even if there are some bezels, a screen without any cuts and curves and notches is the only way to go.

With design, apple doesnt care. They come out with something and expect people to lap it up. The notch was so 2018 but they still want one and people will still buy it. From the news I ve heard/read, the new IP pros will stat at the same 999 - 1099 price point and the cheaper 12 will undercut the current 11. Lets see, if they even manage to launch the phones without delays first.
I'd prefer a bezel to that b**t ugly notch! Oh well, I guess Apple customers have to like it or lump it. As always.

The price may be about the same in the US. However, in India the depreciating INR and distributor mark ups will make this one expensive piece. And a 5G Apple handset will be priced at a premium at least initially. Let's hope Apple open their Stores and assemble more phone models here and give Indian customers a price drop.
Old 20th May 2020, 23:32   #12713
Team-BHP Support

iOS 13.5 is out. Think very carefully before updating.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/05/20/co...th-new-update/
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 00:04   #12714
BHPian

Just bought iPhone11 128 GB, black. Upgraded from a 2 year old Iphone8.

So although there was as such no hurry and probably it is not the best time to buy an iPhone considering everything is at full price and prices have gone up by roughly 4K, I thought since I was spending so much time on phone because of the lock down, why not buy a new phone now. Ordered from Amazon and it was delivered the next day.

So far the experience has been excellent. Just didn't like the black glass as this one is a smudge magnet. Initially I intended to use the phone without any case or cover as I was using the iPhone 8 without any cover for more than a year now and it is still scratch less, however these new iPhone glasses seem to more shatter proof but less scratch proof according to the internet hence ended up ordering a case.

Rachit
Old 21st May 2020, 00:28   #12715
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
iOS 13.5 is out. Think very carefully before updating.
It's good to be aware that this is part of the update, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly applicable to the U.S. I updated my phone an hour ago, and as you can see in the screenshot below, it's neither enabled, nor applicable in Europe.

Name:  IMG_1193.PNG
Views: 887
Size:  108.5 KB

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:44   #12716
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Guys I am facing a peculiar issue with my XR. The phone stops charging after it reaches 80%. I have turned off the 'optimised charging' setting but the problem still persists.

Any clue what it could be ?
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:09   #12717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys I am facing a peculiar issue with my XR. The phone stops charging after it reaches 80%. I have turned off the 'optimised charging' setting but the problem still persists.

Any clue what it could be ?
Experts can chip in, but I think its something like if the phone is heated up more than normal levels, the charging stops at 80% to save battery life
Old 22nd May 2020, 07:45   #12718
BHPian

Quote:
I'd prefer a bezel to that b**t ugly notch! Oh well, I guess Apple customers have to like it or lump it. As always.
I couldn't agree more. I have been planning for an upgrade from my 8+ for over a year. And every time I pick up wife's XR, I can't resist cursing apple for the notch and thickness To top it off, Touch ID felt to be a lot more convenient than the Face ID. I am contemplating the new SE for an edge to edge display and Touch ID. But then, other than the faster processor, I don't think it's an upgrade to the current 8+. So, the dilemma is still on.
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:01   #12719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys I am facing a peculiar issue with my XR. The phone stops charging after it reaches 80%. I have turned off the 'optimised charging' setting but the problem still persists. Any clue what it could be ?
It is normally due to the optimised charging setting which limits charging to <80% as much as possible. But given you have switched it off there's a chance your battery may faulty. How old is the handset and how much is the max capacity left? Do one thing, drain it to 0% till the handset turns off automatically. Then recharge to 100% with optimised charging switched off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
I am contemplating the new SE for an edge to edge display and Touch ID. But then, other than the faster processor, I don't think it's an upgrade to the current 8+. So, the dilemma is still on.
I am holding back till they release their 5G handsets and then take a call. I expect a bump up in price with this upgrade in wireless technology.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd May 2020 at 12:02.
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:04   #12720
Senior - BHPian

Can you turn off the phone, keep it for charging overnight and note the percentage?
Quote:
Guys I am facing a peculiar issue with my XR. The phone stops charging after it reaches 80%. I have turned off the 'optimised charging' setting but the problem still persists. Any clue what it could be ?

Most Viewed