Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2019, 16:32   #11971
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

With the new iPhones getting announced today, if anyone you know is looking to upgrade from his iPhone X 256 Silver : Model A1901 ( without any damages and with full box and accessories), stays in Mumbai, do let me know via DM. Tentatively will pay around 35. If with extended warranty in place, then 38-40 ish.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 10th September 2019 at 16:34.
Old 10th September 2019, 16:33   #11972
Senior - BHPian

Do I sense zero excitement for the new iPhones coming out tonight, or are the loyalists holding their breath for the big reveal? Rumour is that the design remains the same, with a chip change and few extra cameras thrown in. Steve Jobs needs to resurrect himself from the grave, and lead my favourite Company forward
Old 10th September 2019, 16:54   #11973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Do I sense zero excitement for the new iPhones coming out tonight, or are the loyalists holding their breath for the big reveal? Rumour is that the design remains the same, with a chip change and few extra cameras thrown in. Steve Jobs needs to resurrect himself from the grave, and lead my favourite Company forward
I don't know about others but I have definitely lost the excitement of watching the new phone launch. For me it's just that their existing phones itself are great, I don't feel the need for upgrading. Their phones are already fast how much of a noticeable change will a chip change make to our everyday activity performance anyways? Same with the camera.

I got an iPhone X last year during the Amazon sale and I feel that inspite of it being a 2 year old model is still a very good performing phone be it the Camera, processor or the display quality. Besides Apple's pricing strategy also doesn't help. I feel 100k for a phone is a rip off!
Old 10th September 2019, 16:54   #11974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Rumour is that the design remains the same, with a chip change and few extra cameras thrown in.
You forgot the logo being displaced in the middle now, which is a huge leap forward.
I am looking forward to the live streaming tonight just for knowledge purposes.
My guess is that most of the online fans are holding on till 2020, when the qualcomm chips will be back in, 5G gets added + a possible reverse charging feature, USB-C port instead of lightning, etc etc.
This year doesn't seem like a monumental upgrade, considering the sky rocketing prices that the phones are being sold at.
Old 10th September 2019, 17:12   #11975
BHPian

All phone launches are now a drab. Phones have plateaued and there aren't any significant changes in them. Have a Xs, don't think there'll be much to 11

iPhones are of the same mold. Don't expect anything ground breaking; it will be an incremental upgrade.

As for excitement, which phone launch actually elicits one?
Old 10th September 2019, 17:41   #11976
Distinguished - BHPian

I still own two iPhone 6, one the 6s.
I will be in the USA later this month and I will be looking to hopefully trading on both against one new iPhone. I am not convinced I ll be going for the brand new ones.

My biggest gripe is battery life. I'm perfectly happy with everything else my current phone do. The x model should be a big difference compared to my (old) series 6

So we will see what Apple in Dallas has on offer!

Jeroen
Old 10th September 2019, 18:17   #11977
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
With the new iPhones getting announced today
====
Tentatively will pay around 35. If with extended warranty in place, then 38-40 ish.
Good try lol! But honestly I don't think you will get at such a low price from serious sellers. at 35k 64 GB is more of a possibility. That's been the trend with iPhone resales.

As far as new launch, I think phones in general (iPhone or otherwise) has reached a plateau, only place where I see improvements coming in are camera and maybe overall processing power. What else is there where a so called smart phone needs to be more smart? Software or the OS is the place where the action and competition is between various platforms.
Old 10th September 2019, 19:38   #11978
BHPian

Quote:
But honestly I don't think you will get at such a low price from serious sellers. at 35k 64 GB is more of a possibility. That's been the trend with iPhone resales.
Did lowball a bit, but no so much either.
See the quote you would get had I to sell. And these guys offer a decent deal than cashify and others.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-43dbc70f6ec84f2ca6731313ce57b417.png  

The iPhone Thread-a56ea914f34b4dc6b3c4ca1e4bb7ea38.png  

Last edited by riteshritesh : 10th September 2019 at 19:39.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:27   #11979
BHPian

The iphone 11 prices are revealed and the prices for 11 seems like a good deal. the XR prices has been reduced too! I have the XR and the 256GB price for iphone 11 seems like a steal. I will wait for the pre book offers and trade in value to decide.

The iPhone Thread-iphone.png

Prices - https://www.apple.com/in/iphone/compare/
Old 11th September 2019, 08:34   #11980
Team-BHP Support

Nowadays iPhone launches are akin to what VW is doing with the Polo in India. Just a few minor updates and pass on as new generation.

That said, happy that they retained the XR for this year, and that too at a reduced price. I got one for my daughter couple of weeks back; a brilliant device for those who want to stay in the iOS ecosystem (without the guilt of overpaying).
Old 11th September 2019, 09:12   #11981
Team-BHP Support

The iPhone 11 doesn't seem to miss out a lot vs the XR last year. The Pro will still have it's followers but Apple have done somewhat of a consolidation on naming and price.

The 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max are named quite logically vs the XR and XS.

The XR was single camera and a little more basic but the 11 seems to be right up there now with the wide angle and only missing telephoto. At the new lower price the XR makes a very strong case for itself.

There is one thing I cannot understand with the 11 and 11 Pro. With the amount of camera and processing and video capability what is the point in launching the entry level with 64GB? At the prices of 65K and 1L, the minimum storage should have been 128GB to differentiate even more with the XR. The worst part is there is no 128GB option so you need to pay 14K more for the 256GB straight which will be the only usable model.
Old 11th September 2019, 09:17   #11982
Distinguished - BHPian

Top of the line iPhone 11 Pro Max is 1,41,900!

The iPhone Thread-annotation.png

Features wise it may be nice but I didn't like the looks of the lens module on the rear. looks like a stovetop! This is probably the first Apple device that is not good looking
Old 11th September 2019, 09:19   #11983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The iPhone 11 doesn't seem to miss out a lot vs the XR last year. The Pro will still have it's followers but Apple have done somewhat of a consolidation on naming and price.

There is one thing I cannot understand with the 11 and 11 Pro. With the amount of camera and processing and video capability what is the point in launching the entry level with 64GB? At the prices of 65K and 1L, the minimum storage should have been 128GB to differentiate even more with the XR. The worst part is there is no 128GB option so you need to pay 14K more for the 256GB straight which will be the only usable model.
This! For the iphone 11, there's no 128GB version in India. Straight to 256 and that costs around 5k more which is reasonable! The prices and version of the pro makes it more unlikable! The iphone 11 and the XR are the real iphones for India this year.
Old 11th September 2019, 09:41   #11984
BHPian

128 GB seems to be offered. Screenshot from Apple India website.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-953058f4f58f40158aad261508ef95c6.jpeg  

Old 11th September 2019, 10:18   #11985
Senior - BHPian

So the iPhone XR prices starting at 50K is almost at par with the US prices. That's good.

Also, people comparing Apple launches to Polo launch events. Isn't that a bit too cruel?

Irrespective of what Apple launches, have you seen the amount effort that goes into these events, the quality of presentations and presenters. I watch them not just for the gadget but also for learning and improving my own presentation skills.

Moreover, the quality of Apple phones is already so good, already so fast, it is really difficult to better the preceding iterations every single year. So this is bound to happen, that is, us getting the similar phones year after year with minute changes.

Even the batteries in XR have been improved since last year. This year may not be very good for Apple but I guess this is how the smartphone market is going to be.

Last edited by Pancham : 11th September 2019 at 10:19.

Most Viewed