Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2019, 17:32   #12001
Team-BHP Support

Re: The iPhone Thread

How much sense does an iPhone 8 make now? Smaller form factor preferred, don't mind the bezels, fingerprint scanner/home button over face unlock, and the XR does feel like a poor cousin compared side-by-side with its siblings in-store though other specs are great and the screen is good enough standalone.
Old 11th September 2019, 17:42   #12002
Senior - BHPian

Why does Apple price the pro models at such a premium compared to the US prices ? The iPhone 11 is almost at par with US prices whereas the pro models command a huge premium in comparison.

I understand local assembly will take a while considering all phones now have an additional lens, but how does Apple price the 11 so competitively then ? I wonder if the 11 is a low-margin product to stay relevant and pro is where the profits are made.

PS- You can use a XR only if you've never used a high quality display before (Samsung Galaxy/Note series, iPhone X.Xs) else you will hate the downgrade! The only saving grace is its very color accurate.
Old 11th September 2019, 18:04   #12003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Can't argue with you about the notch but have you used the iPhone XR with the LCD screen. I assume you have not. The LCD screen is really good and you don't really notice the difference.
My neighbor works for Apple in sales and everyone in their house has an Iphone, my sister last week bought the One Plus 7 pro. We were just yesterday comparing the phones, and believe me the difference is huge. The display on the op7 pro was distinctively bright and vivid with vibrant and true colors and blacks were absolutely black. Even a layman would notice the difference.
Please compare it with any other AMOLED phone side by side and you would know too. Even my old OnePlus 3T screen looked better than the XR.

Last edited by ishan12 : 11th September 2019 at 18:09.
Old 11th September 2019, 18:20   #12004
Senior - BHPian

Primary reason I use iphone is because of the privacy (& security) it provides in comparison to others plus the phone does not go slow after 2-3 years. I have an iphone 5s and iphone6 and both work without any issues even now.

IMHO we can keep this thread for discussing about iphone and not digress it by discussing merits/demerits of Android vs Apple. Each have their own pros and cons (& fan boys). Let's leave it at that and move on.
Old 11th September 2019, 20:27   #12005
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, people comparing Apple launches to Polo launch events. Isn't that a bit too cruel?
Polo is still a good car

Been an iPhone user from 3s days until X, and now recently got a XR for my daughter. It would have been nice if their innovations keep up with the price increases.

I feel the best thing they did this year is to make the XR more affordable. In my opinion it's the best attempt from Apple after iPhone 7. And that single camera setup is surprisingly good.

Quote:
For now, I am happy with my white iPhone XR. Only wish I got a jhataak colour instead.
Good choice with the white one! My girl was looking at the Coral and at the last minute changed to white - because it goes well with the phone covers of her choice - an example below

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Should i try the upcoming pixel 4 or stick to iphone. really confused.
If you are not in a hurry wait for the pixel phone, when I briefly moved from iOS to a Samsung it was not a very happy transition, but the move to Pixel 2 XL was great. If someone want a change of scenery from iOS, Pixel is the best option IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
How much sense does an iPhone 8 make now? Smaller form factor preferred, don't mind the bezels, fingerprint scanner/home button over face unlock, and the XR does feel like a poor cousin compared side-by-side with its siblings in-store though other specs are great and the screen is good enough standalone.
I would say at least get an XR. When checked side by side with its siblings it may look bulky but it is great if you look at it as a stand alone piece. And the face id and camera are the other reasons to pick it over a 8.

The iPhone Thread-20190911_225640.jpg
Old 11th September 2019, 20:37   #12006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

I would say at least get an XR. When checked side by side with its siblings it may look bulky but it is great if you look at it as a stand alone piece. And the face id and camera are the other reasons to pick it over a 8....
My bigger gripe with it is the size. If it was the size of the 8 (so basically an X with inferior screen and some lower specs), I'd buy one.

If I'm making the size compromise, I'd love to get a Note with the S-pen.
Old 12th September 2019, 05:20   #12007
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If I'm making the size compromise, I'd love to get a Note with the S-pen.
In that case the regular Note 10 ( not the +) maybe a good option. It's quite easy to hold - similar to my S10. Or wait for the Pixel 4.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:11   #12008
Distinguished - BHPian

So, let me say this...this is finally total departure now for Apple from it's classic, understated and timeless designs. These new phones are downright ugly, esp the rear camera set up.

- an old iPhone user.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:34   #12009
Senior - BHPian

This has been the most disappointing iPhone. It's become more of adding more cameras. Where is the innovation, or novelty in design? Would Steve Jobs allow this? No prizes for guessing how iPhone12 will look like (on a lighter note).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
So, let me say this...this is finally total departure now for Apple from it's classic, understated and timeless designs. These new phones are downright ugly, esp the rear camera set up
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_9060.jpg  

Old 12th September 2019, 10:38   #12010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I felt that it was the perfect analogy (humour added to it of course)
It's the same with Polo, it is already a good vehicle in it's segment with frequent feature additions. But the differences between the model generations are hardly anything and the price increase is not inline with the updates.
Well, I think Polo which refreshed the engines several times during its lifetime is a better innovator than, say, a Swift which gave us new body panels with every generation. I'll pick the Polo any day over a Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Please compare it with any other AMOLED phone side by side and you would know too. Even my old OnePlus 3T screen looked better than the XR.
AMOLEDs are great for watching movies or looking at photos, but for reading an LCD is better. The pentile matrix appear pixelated and hence text looks bad. Then there is the whole issue of PWM. They offer DC dimming as a solution which throws screen quality into the trash can at low brightness. A good LCD is better than any "vibrant" AMOLED any day.

Quote:
My bigger gripe with it is the size. If it was the size of the 8 (so basically an X with inferior screen and some lower specs), I'd buy one.
I do not understand where they are going with the size. And the weight. I was hoping that this year they would lose some weight. Instead the 11 pro added another 10g and the pro added 20 grams. I do not see any upgrade path for my wife's iPhone 5S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This has been the most disappointing iPhone. It's become more of adding more cameras. Where is the innovation, or novelty in design? Would Steve Jobs allow this? No prizes for guessing how iPhone12 will look like (on a lighter note).
That is the ugliest camera bump that I have ever seen. And Google is copying it in their new Pixels. First the notch and now the square bump - Google has gone nuts!

Last edited by civic-sense : 12th September 2019 at 10:43.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:44   #12011
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
True that! Steve jobs & his creativity were in a total different league.
Sometimes he is even blamed to create a hype on whatever he did, but his 'hype' did justify the integration of the technology in the electronics they made. It is true that Apple neither invented the mp3 phones, nor camera phones, not even the internet or even the mobile phone itself, but the way they integrated these tech into their models, be it the iphone or the iPod; it took the user experience to just another level. The form factor, the software and to be fair to critics, the marketing of Jobs was astounding.

It was always tough to fill his shoes, but now I feel like it is like destroying the legacy with such crude designs making to final production models.

Last edited by saket77 : 12th September 2019 at 10:46.
Old 12th September 2019, 11:45   #12012
BHPian

Ugliness lies in the eyes of the beholder. That being said, I suggest all the design haters to see the phone in reality before passing judgements. Yes, the 3 eyes do look unusual, weird, strange, ugly, but before make a firm statement leading to a closed mindset, one needs to check it out personally.
I have found many things in life, not to my liking when 1st seen in pictures, but when you see them/meet them, it has changed my perspective completely.
I am also of the opinion that Apple cannot make ugly things or things ugly, so my views may be biased.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:11   #12013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
AMOLEDs are great for watching movies or looking at photos, but for reading an LCD is better. The pentile matrix appear pixelated and hence text looks bad. Then there is the whole issue of PWM. They offer DC dimming as a solution which throws screen quality into the trash can at low brightness. A good LCD is better than any "vibrant" AMOLED any day.
Can we not in the same way justify if a 50 lack car launched today has all 4 drum brakes?
Because, of course drum brakes also have some advantages over discs.
Reminded me of the conversation Jay has with masi regarding Viru in Sholay.
Also, isin't watching movies/ videos or looking at photos are the actual purpose of large mobiles with large screens for most of the users?

We can all sing praises of the good old Bullet with the CI engine, but the fact is, it does not belong on a modern motorcycle.
The same way an LCD does not belong on a newly launched premium phone.
IMO, what is outdated is outdated.

Last edited by ishan12 : 12th September 2019 at 12:31. Reason: Adding more automobile related examples
Old 12th September 2019, 12:40   #12014
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can we not in the same way justify if a 50 lack car launched today has all 4 drum brakes?
Because, of course drum brakes also have some advantages over discs.
I was used to the AMOLEDs of the Samsungs and Nokias before I switched to the iPhone. Comparing displays to brakes is not a valid comparison at all. Honestly, I do not miss an AMOLED display with the iPhone. The only place where I find the blacks bad in the iPhone is when you are in a dark room and thats the only place the black colours dont look black. elsewhere, its not so bad. I would anyday prefer the natural colours of the iPhone compared to the bright and vibrant displays with fake colours added everywhere. That is just my opinion btw. My phone brightness is always set to the least possible levels. Nothing can beat the blacks of an AMOLED, but that doesnt mean that the LCD of Apple is trash. It all depends upon whether you look for numbers on paper and benchmark tests, or whether you are ok with it in daily use or not.
Old 12th September 2019, 12:54   #12015
BHPian

Quote:
1) iPhone 11 is not a premium phone. The Pro series are their flagships.
2) The number of LCD phones sold by Apple worldwide, makes Apple believe that there is a demand for it, hence they have it as 'also ran' in their lineup.
Apart from that, oled PWM flicker causing migraines and headaches are reported, which creates a demand for LCD screens.
They could also be having some obligations towards Japan Display and want to finish up their inventory of LCD's.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 12th September 2019 at 12:57. Reason: Spacing

Most Viewed