Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2019, 14:32   #11866
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
My iPhone X suddenly lost the battery capacity, and started showing "service" under battery option, this was last week. Had apple care active till Nov 19, so took it to service centre on Saturday and they said it would take 5-6 days to get back to me. Yesterday they called and informed I have been issued a replacement phone.
Apple replaced my 5C because of home button issues, even after it was out of warranty. It still is my phone after 5 and a half years and I am looking to buy a new iPhone in the next couple of months.
Old 25th July 2019, 15:15   #11867
BHPian

Quote:
That window is closed since Nov/Dec 18 if I remember correct. But apple does honour requests if warranty or apple care cover is there.
Yes, the window is closed. I just got my iPhone 6s battery replaced and the discount offer is no longer there. I had to pay Rs. 4800 for my battery replacement.
Old 25th July 2019, 17:03   #11868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Thanks for this. Chatted with them, got a remote diagnostic test done. Support informed that I need to take-in my device for battery change. I asked him, if the same is covered under warranty and he said yes, provided technician verifies it, etc etc.
Standard procedure, now they will check for water damage or external service being done. Assuming both are clear, you are looking at a new battery, if really lucky maybe a new or factory certified device
Old 26th July 2019, 15:56   #11869
BHPian

Quote:
Standard procedure, now they will check for water damage or external service being done.
Saar, where are your feet. Successfully submitted my Device for the Battery change. Felt sad to part with my phone because my backup is a Karbonn A9 Indian . Looking at 1 day if Battery is in stock in Mumbai, 4 days if it has to be ordered from Bangalore and more days if something else in the Device becomes faulty.

Whilst at the service centre saw an ad of AppleCare Protection Plan @ 4500/-. It mentioned that it covers the Device, Battery, Earphones and Accessories in box, for a period of 2 years along with telephonic support and support for Apple branded s/w, etc etc.
This is full 'paisa vasool', if the battery degrades before the expiry of 2nd year of warranty.
Wife's 8+ is at 85% and warranty ends Feb 2020. That one is next in line.
Old 26th July 2019, 17:25   #11870
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Whilst at the service centre saw an ad of AppleCare Protection Plan @ 4500/-. It mentioned that it covers the Device, Battery, Earphones and Accessories in box, for a period of 2 years along with telephonic support and support for Apple branded s/w, etc etc.
Glad that it worked out for you.

Just to clarify. This is what I have, it is +1 year for iPhone. On Mac's it is +2 years. So 1 standard warranty+1 apple care=2 Years for iPhone and 1 standard+2 apple care =3 Years for MBP, MBA and Desktops etc. You have to activate the same within 1 year of device initiation after purchase OR within the original warranty period of 1 year.

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th July 2019 at 17:26.
Old 26th July 2019, 18:28   #11871
Senior - BHPian

Hey Jaggu, which authorised centre did you visit in Bangalore, please? I have an old 5S with a battery issue.
Quote:
Take it to authorised centre asap and they should replace the battery free.
Old 26th July 2019, 18:40   #11872
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hey Jaggu, which authorised centre did you visit in Bangalore, please? I have an old 5S with a battery issue.
I stay in Indira Nagar and I use these guys. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pl...5!4d77.6422044

But it does not matter, you can schedule the visit at any of the Authorised apple service centre, Imagine also has many service centres.

If it has warranty or apple care coverage, if not they will charge for battery.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:05   #11873
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I have, it is +1 year for iPhone.... You have to activate the same within 1 year of device initiation after purchase OR within the original warranty period of 1 year.

Yes. That's what I buy too and to get some time value of Money, normally do it in the 11th month of purchase.
My wife's 8 Plus was purchased from USA and the Indian AppleCare Protection Plan works on it too. This works out cheaper than buying Apple Care + from USA, which I believe has to be done with 90 days of purchase, but then again, they have 2 incidental repairs/replacements at USD 29 each.
Old 27th July 2019, 12:17   #11874
Distinguished - BHPian

I had my 7+ 256 GB iPhone battery replaced out of warranty. Though the battery life was 87% the each charge would last a very short time, dropping 10% within a matter of minutes. Apple's service centre ran the diagnostics twice or thrice on separate days and claimed it was ok based on the charge and discharge cycles.

Eventually the extended warranty expired in March without resolution. I was forced to pay for a battery replacement, Rs 3500 all inclusive. A reasonable charge IMO. The iPhone is good for another 2 years. I am holding back from upgrading till 5G sets are introduced expected in 2020 according to some sites on the 'net. Plus Apple just paid $1 billion for Intel's smartphone modem businessthis week.
Old 27th July 2019, 14:16   #11875
Senior - BHPian

The drop is because so many apps are running in the background. That's why in their system it's all good. I was facing this peculiar issue as well and read up on the net, (then turning off everything that was running at the back). Issue was solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
dropping 10% within a matter of minutes. Apple's service centre ran the diagnostics twice or thrice on separate days and claimed it was ok based on the charge and discharge cycles.
Old 27th July 2019, 14:46   #11876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I was forced to pay for a battery replacement, Rs 3500 all inclusive. A reasonable charge IMO.

Was the problem sorted after a battery change? Sounds more like some app causing the unusual battery drain.
Rs 3500 post 1 year ' "we got caught" Battery offer'. If yes, then it is really very reasonable.
Old 27th July 2019, 23:30   #11877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The drop is because so many apps are running in the background. That's why in their system it's all good. I was facing this peculiar issue as well and read up on the net, (then turning off everything that was running at the back). Issue was solved.
I tried every trick including those available on various Apple focussed Internet sites hoping to get the battery life to improve to no avail.

Quote:
Was the problem sorted after a battery change? Sounds more like some app causing the unusual battery drain. Rs 3500 post 1 year ' "we got caught" Battery offer'. If yes, then it is really very reasonable.
Yes Rs 3500 was quite reasonable given the cost of the handset so I went ahead and had it done. There has been a pretty noticeable improvement in battery life. The biggest battery hog is WhatsApp. It takes more than all other apps combined. I am a moderate WA user so was quite taken aback at the battery drain (foreground and background) by this app.
Old 2nd August 2019, 19:00   #11878
Distinguished - BHPian

The screen of my 6S today went completely black just after a conversation. Since the display was totally black and phone was not responding to any input, I thought the set just died. Plugging in the charger also didn't make any difference.

Just as a basic instinct, I tried to hard reboot the phone by pressing the home button and power button simultaneously which brought the Apple logo and the phone rebooted successfully. I thought of reporting this to Apple and hence had a chat with apple support. They sent me an article across regarding this frozen screen. Looks like a known issue. Battery is in good shape at 97%; so I hope it was just a minor software glitch and not some major shunt.
Old 2nd August 2019, 23:20   #11879
BHPian

Hey friends, i am looking to migrate from android ( read onel plus 6T) to apple eco system since i have macbook, airpods, ipad already with me. Moreover, i feel ios is a better and more accomplished OS than the free Android.

Since i shall be buying an iphone for the very first time, i would reauest if you pls could let me finalise the model is should buy. Currently i am in imbroglio between iphone X and XR.

Have seen many Youtube videos wrt the differences, howsoever, the more i see the more i get confused.

I do not want to shell out bucks for the XS since the new iphone is just around the corner and i fele the X and XR are reasonable enough or my budget.

Can do with 64 gb capacity since most of the data is either streamed or kept on cloud.

I am looking forward to buy an international unit (NEW) since i have heard that Apple offers international warranty and the price difference of IN unit vs INT unit is approx. 10k which is quite substantial.

Request your kind inputs pls. so that i can finalise my purchase.
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:35   #11880
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Nothing to best the iphone Xs Max in terms of resolution, camera, speed, ease of use including typing and so on.
Being on the apple eco system for several years I dont think I really want to go out of it.
Lets see what the September i release brings!

Most Viewed