Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:36   #11776
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Fast charging is actually harmful for the battery and therefore I only use my iPad's charger to charge my iPhone XS when I do not have time. For the rest of the time, I put my iPhone XS on the wireless charger before I go to sleep. The wireless charger is connected to the 5W iPhone charger and takes a good 4-5 hours but then again, do I care when I am sleeping?

I am sorry but I have always charged my iPhone 6 and my current XR with iPad chargers but never faced any issues.

Also, if what you mention was the case then phones supplied with fast chargers would have faced severe backslashes from the public. No?
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:47   #11777
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Adding to the discussion of fast charging, what is really harmful for the battery is not the rate at which it is being recharged but the amount of heat generated as a result. The iPhone batteries are designed to function best between 0 and 35 deg. C. What fast charging does often is heat up the battery due to higher power. Heat is Li-ion battery's worst enemy and that over time will degrade the battery.
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:39   #11778
BHPian

Adding to the discussion of Fast charging, I have an 8 plus which I charge with Anker Powerport duo and the standard 5W charger. My observations -

A. Anker powerport with USB C to Lightening - charges the phone at 20w with battery temps exceeding 40 degrees frequently ( with the cover removed and no screen guard)

B. Anker powerport with Standard lightening cable - charges abt 12w with battery temps at around 35 degrees and the back cover in situ.

C. 5W charger - battery temps stay at around 30 - 32 degrees.

My 8 plus is jailbroken and by using some tweaks it displays battery temperature and current and voltage at being it is being charged.

I feel the 2nd option is the best with intermediate charging times and battery temps remaining in the safe zone.
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:43   #11779
BHPian

I have been using an Aukey Quick Charge 5 port Brick to charge the 2 iphones,2 ipads & watch, since last 3 years. Never checked how fast it charges, but have been happy with the results as 5 gadgets can charge at the same time and it does it wee bit faster than the rubbish plugs provided by Apple.
My chargers, cables, earphones never come out of the box.
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:23   #11780
BHPian

Guys a quick question, planning to buy an iphone XR for my wife. Planning to get it from singapore where people sell their recontract phones (sealed in box) at slightly cheaper rate. Are phones in singapore unlocked? any idea?
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:35   #11781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hi. Can you post links of the above mentioned items?
https://www.anker.com/products/varia...20000/A1260011
Old 23rd May 2019, 12:58   #11782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Planning to get it from singapore where people sell their recontract phones (sealed in box) at slightly cheaper rate. Are phones in singapore unlocked? any idea?

Check the rates at: https://www.istudiosg.com/tax_free
They sell GST free phones, which could be cheaper and you get a risk free unlocked phone.
As for checking if the recontract phone is unlocked, try your Indian sim and see if that catches network.
Old 23rd May 2019, 15:20   #11783
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Guys a quick question, planning to buy an iphone XR for my wife. Planning to get it from singapore where people sell their recontract phones (sealed in box) at slightly cheaper rate. Are phones in singapore unlocked? any idea?
Yes, all iPhones sold here are unlocked. What do you mean by recontract phones?
Old 24th May 2019, 18:37   #11784
BHPian

Anyone ordered iPhone case from d-brand (USA) - they do ship the case at USD 34.95; question is - will this reach me in India without any issue?

How many days will it take to reach here and most importantly, is there any other case which has this sort of case which is slightly higher at the edges?
Old 25th May 2019, 07:40   #11785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Anyone ordered iPhone case from d-brand (USA) - they do ship the case at USD 34.95; question is - will this reach me in India without any issue?

How many days will it take to reach here and most importantly, is there any other case which has this sort of case which is slightly higher at the edges?
i ordered from d-brand twice - but they never reached me.
Old 27th May 2019, 07:27   #11786
BHPian

Planning to replace my 2.5 years old iPhone 6 with a sub 35k phone from the same stable. The iPhone 7 and the 7 Plus fall within the bracket if purchased from UAE. The question is, I really do love the Matte Black colour on these phones, but the internet is flooded with images of paint chipping for the colour. Anyone here experienced the same?
Old 27th May 2019, 07:37   #11787
Senior - BHPian

I have a matte black 7, but frankly, I've never seen the colour as the Spigen case is always on it. Apple's coating is quite durable, but if you're not careful scratches are inevitable. Like any phone. As Indians, we take extra care so don't worry about paint peeling off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
internet is flooded with images of paint chipping for the colour
Old 27th May 2019, 08:41   #11788
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiGOD View Post
Planning to replace my 2.5 years old iPhone 6 with a sub 35k phone from the same stable. The iPhone 7 and the 7 Plus fall within the bracket if purchased from UAE. The question is, I really do love the Matte Black colour on these phones, but the internet is flooded with images of paint chipping for the colour. Anyone here experienced the same?
Yes. I had my phone look like it’s got chicken pox.
Sold it. And now the 8plus, the sides look the same.
Old 27th May 2019, 10:35   #11789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post

I have ordered from dbrand multiple times and they packages always reach me within 10 days. No issues so far
Old 27th May 2019, 11:12   #11790
Senior - BHPian

Haven't seen these. Do you prefer these over Spigen cases for protection and aesthetics? Would appreciate a pic or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
I have ordered from dbrand multiple times

Most Viewed