Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 08:03   #11686
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
If the prices reduce by half then the other brands will have a run for their money.

[/url]
The chances of that happening are slim. They have been manufacturing the 6SE here in India for a while now.

Agreed it will help in some price reduction, but reducing to half is highly unlikely
.
Sunil2307 is offline  
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:29   #11687
BHPian
 
speedfreak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 109
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Hey guys, quick question. I have someone coming over from US in june and I am planning to buy a XS, just wanted to know whether the price of the phone that is stated on the website is including or excluding GST ? If its including, is there anyway I can buy it without GST ?
speedfreak01 is online now  
Old 23rd April 2019, 20:11   #11688
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,256
Thanked: 7,808 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Hey guys, quick question. I have someone coming over from US in june and I am planning to buy a XS, just wanted to know whether the price of the phone that is stated on the website is including or excluding GST ? If its including, is there anyway I can buy it without GST ?
The price stated on the website is without tax. You can't buy it without tax, but can get it from a state without sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. You'd have to buy it from a physical store in one of these states though.

Regardless of how/where you buy it, make sure it is an unlocked phone.
libranof1987 is offline  
Old 24th April 2019, 10:29   #11689
BHPian
 
vinitbhavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai MH 02
Posts: 372
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The price stated on the website is without tax. You can't buy it without tax, but can get it from a state without sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon. You'd have to buy it from a physical store in one of these states though.

Regardless of how/where you buy it, make sure it is an unlocked phone.
Hey Libran thanks for the info above. Intend to add an iPad and the Airpods V2 to my list of ios devices. The Airpods are now being offered with Laser engraving on ordering online , please advise
1)if Airpods ordered to Boston from the website would the same tax amount apply as the iphone . will be getting same in July from a family member
2)self travelling to Singapore and intend to pick up the ipad during return journey from airport without the 7% GST , does this make sense over getting from the US
Thanks in advance !!
vinitbhavi is online now  
Old 24th April 2019, 11:49   #11690
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 451
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
You'd have to buy it from a physical store in one of these states though.

Or buy it online with a pickup scheduled in a store in these tax free havens. A friend visits Delaware for work often and I schedule pick-ups of my Apple products from Christiana Mall Newark, Delaware whenever he is planning his India visit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
The Airpods are now being offered with Laser engraving on ordering , please advise...

...does this make sense over getting from the US
Thanks in advance !!
  • Engraving: Consider a zero resale price for such customised products.
  • TAX Rate in US will be state specific and same on all Apple products.
  • Singapore purchase without GST, are you sure about this? You will have to hand carry your iPad separate from the box to avoid customs duty on arrival.
riteshritesh is offline  
Old 24th April 2019, 16:05   #11691
BHPian
 
Chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calicut, Bangalore
Posts: 54
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Anyone using XR? I am planning to get one with discounts floating around. Heard some stories about call drops/signal reception as well.
Currently am using OnePlus. Should I go for it?
Thanks for your time.
Chopper is offline  
Old 24th April 2019, 16:27   #11692
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 451
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Should I go for it?
Thanks for your time.

It would be better, if you could post your reasons for the switch. If you are fed-up with the OS and considering iOs for its dumbness and stability and use your phone for 2-4 years straight, then yes.

If you have been a long time Android user and tinker a lot with settings, ringtones, etc, and will want to continue doing so, then no, you shouldn't change.
riteshritesh is offline  
Old 24th April 2019, 16:41   #11693
BHPian
 
vinitbhavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Mumbai MH 02
Posts: 372
Thanked: 284 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Or buy it online with a pickup scheduled in a store in these tax free havens. A friend visits Delaware for work often and I schedule pick-ups of my Apple products from Christiana Mall Newark, Delaware whenever he is planning his India visit.

  • Engraving: Consider a zero resale price for such customised products.
  • TAX Rate in US will be state specific and same on all Apple products.
  • Singapore purchase without GST, are you sure about this? You will have to hand carry your iPad separate from the box to avoid customs duty on arrival.
Hey ritesh thats a good idea, could ask my friend to pick up from one of the Tax free Places


Agree about resale value but im a sucker for personalisation hence the craze for getting my name engraved.
regarding Singapore im quite certain as is clearly mentioned in the website.

https://www.istudiosg.com/tax_free
vinitbhavi is online now  
Old 24th April 2019, 16:55   #11694
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 451
Thanked: 445 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
regarding Singapore im quite certain as is clearly mentioned in the website.

https://www.istudiosg.com/tax_free

Brilliant. This is worth a consideration.

On this issue, have to share an old story relevant to VAT refund purchases.
I had heard that VAT Refund centres and Indian Customs were connected. ( I am a customs broker, so lot of here-say whenever I visit the cargo complex). They would routinely catch people, who would buy expensive watches abroad, claim GST/VAT refunds at the airport, then wear it on hand and try to walk through Indian customs.

Anyways, the iPads are small ticket items to be bothered and the shop is selling it duty free, rather than you claiming any sort of refund.
P.S. Engraving is available for the iPad too, atleast in the US online store.

Last edited by riteshritesh : 24th April 2019 at 16:57.
riteshritesh is offline  
Old 25th April 2019, 10:46   #11695
BHPian
 
2500cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 689
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Anyone using XR? I am planning to get one with discounts floating around. Heard some stories about call drops/signal reception as well.
Currently am using OnePlus. Should I go for it?
Thanks for your time.
I got one last Sunday, there were no stocks in major outlets, had to pick it up from Global Access. Havent faced any call drops or signal issues so far.

Only downside I faced is the phone is bit heavy, but otherwise it is lovely to use.
2500cc is online now  
Old 25th April 2019, 13:37   #11696
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 267
Thanked: 1,014 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Anyone using XR? I am planning to get one with discounts floating around. Heard some stories about call drops/signal reception as well.
Currently am using OnePlus. Should I go for it?
Thanks for your time.

I've been using it for the past couple of months and has not faced any issues other than the usual connectivity issues between Vodaphone->BSNL and Idea->BSNL which was present in my previous phones too.
My phone's configuration is as follows

Primary SIM (Physical): BSNL
eSIM: JIO
kozhissery is offline  
Old 26th April 2019, 11:28   #11697
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I've been using it for the past couple of months and has not faced any issues other than the usual connectivity issues between Vodaphone->BSNL and Idea->BSNL which was present in my previous phones too.
My phone's configuration is as follows

Primary SIM (Physical): BSNL
eSIM: JIO
How is the battery life? Please let me know your usage pattern so that i can relate to my use

I used iPhone for many years (4, 5s, 6s). Sold off the 6s a year back because of the pathetic battery life of half a day. I stay at a place in Bangalore where the signal reception is not that good. I also needed a bigger screen and got a Note 9. Iphone X didnt appeal to me due to high price.

Now i am eyeing the XR. OLED display and Dual camera is not important for me. Main would be good battery life and the iOS experience.
hyper-VTEC is offline  
Old 26th April 2019, 12:30   #11698
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 267
Thanked: 1,014 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
How is the battery life? Please let me know your usage pattern so that i can relate to my use

I used iPhone for many years (4, 5s, 6s). Sold off the 6s a year back because of the pathetic battery life of half a day. I stay at a place in Bangalore where the signal reception is not that good. I also needed a bigger screen and got a Note 9. Iphone X didnt appeal to me due to high price.

Now i am eyeing the XR. OLED display and Dual camera is not important for me. Main would be good battery life and the iOS experience.

I get around 2 days. But I always use in battery saver mode with GPS off.
Bluetooth is always on as it is paired to car. Data is also always on.
No games or anything of that sort.


Primary usage is for



1. Communication (Mail, WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype)
2. Office (Excel/Word/Official ERP extension app)
3. Personal Data/Banking/Authentication apps/Fuel Logger
4. Shopping Apps
5. Music Apps
kozhissery is offline  
Old 26th April 2019, 12:38   #11699
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bengal...ooroo
Posts: 589
Thanked: 141 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I get around 2 days. But I always use in battery saver mode with GPS off.
Bluetooth is always on as it is paired to car. Data is also always on.
No games or anything of that sort.


Primary usage is for



1. Communication (Mail, WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype)
2. Office (Excel/Word/Official ERP extension app)
3. Personal Data/Banking/Authentication apps/Fuel Logger
4. Shopping Apps
5. Music Apps
That's awesome. My Note 9 goes down to 15% by the end of the day with similar usage
hyper-VTEC is offline  
Old 27th April 2019, 08:36   #11700
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 92
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
That's awesome. My Note 9 goes down to 15% by the end of the day with similar usage
Whats the main reason for your switch back? Is it battery life on the Note9
Sunil2307 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks