Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 19:40   #11626
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I don't know if this a global thing about iphone battery replacement plan ending Jan 1.
Old 27th December 2018, 17:53   #11627
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw this report on the ET website:

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67270909.cms

Of course this report has not been confirmed by either Apple or Foxconn.

If true it would help rationalise the preposterous prices for these handsets.
Old 27th December 2018, 18:04   #11628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I don't know if this a global thing about iphone battery replacement plan ending Jan 1.
Yep; it was always going to be until 31-Dec.
Old 29th December 2018, 11:03   #11629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
I do not think it is original. But the quality seems to be ok, I feel. I had been using the 5s since 2013, and the original battery almost gave up, I was having to charge it multiple times a day. Also, sometime suddenly it used to go to nearly zero from say 30 or 40%. The replacement battery is behaving like a normal one, though with a 5 year old phone and newer os and apps, you can not really expect too much from a 1500 mah battery. Still, as long as you avoid certain power hungry apps, it seems to be doing fine.
The vendor did say (and gave me a receipt too) there is a 6 month warranty, but it is hard to tell to what extent they will respect that `warranty', as it is just a mobile/laptop repair shop.
Hey thanks for the info. i'm a bit skeptical about the performance of a non original product. The 5s is also now about 5 years old and the battery still holding charge with about 2-3 hrs usage in a day(as it is a spare phone) .
Old 31st December 2018, 14:22   #11630
BHPian

Guys what price can I expect for my Apple Battery case for iPhone 7? I want to sell it since I no longer have my iphone 7 with me.
Old 6th January 2019, 13:37   #11631
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi guys, does the iPhone batteries still cost 2k for replacement or the offer is over this Dec 31st?
Old 6th January 2019, 22:24   #11632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi guys, does the iPhone batteries still cost 2k for replacement or the offer is over this Dec 31st?

The offer is not valid anymore and I think the cost of iPhone 7 battery for instance is back to around 4.5k I think. The scheme was only applicable upto December 31st
Old 7th January 2019, 13:39   #11633
BHPian

All - considering a switch to iPhone SE from an Android device. Have been using Android for 6 years now.

Based on your experience, how tough is the switch - considering that it would a good investment to start off with.
Old 7th January 2019, 13:50   #11634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
All - considering a switch to iPhone SE from an Android device. Have been using Android for 6 years now.

Based on your experience, how tough is the switch - considering that it would a good investment to start off with.
I switched from a Google Nexus 6P to Iphone SE . Nexus was a fantastic products but offlate the updates were buggy. For e.g the phone started losing signal intermittently causing some important calls getting missed. The most irritating bug was that on its own it used to turn on "Do not Disturb" . So my Nexus used to go into silent mode without ring or vibration alert.

Switch over to IPhone was a matter of getting used to a new interface and yes compromising on features that Android provides. For e.g camera. Some things were pretty intuitive in Andriod like settings but in iphone you need to take a little online help. But there was nothing work stopper for me. Have been using the IPhone for about a year and pretty happy with it.

The updates are very stable and I have not faced any work-stopper bug yet. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by manson : 7th January 2019 at 13:59. Reason: Typo.
Old 7th January 2019, 16:48   #11635
BHPian

Quote:

Can you list the reasons, why you are making the switch? That would help in getting unbiased opinions from many users.
I switched from a Blackberry directly to an iPhone 5, years ago ( supplemented with a sub 5000 Rs Android office phone), so unable to comment without a bias.
Old 7th January 2019, 18:14   #11636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Can you list the reasons, why you are making the switch? That would help in getting unbiased opinions from many users.
I switched from a Blackberry directly to an iPhone 5, years ago ( supplemented with a sub 5000 Rs Android office phone), so unable to comment without a bias.
Any Android phone which I am using is becoming extremely slow within 6 months. I use it for taking official calls, and usually have at least 3 VOIP calling apps on the phone, in addition to the normal social media apps. However, no games at all.

What I have noticed and have been told is that iPhones usually do not slow down very easily, as they are primarily cloud based. But need confirmation from the like minded group of people - thus the query.
Old 7th January 2019, 20:05   #11637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I went from Android to Apple lured by its brand name and so called simplicity etc. Suffered a lot. Two things that affected me the most are: No free apps for most common sense things, and Apple arbitrarily limiting things you want to do.

After 18 months, my observations are:
1. It is perfect for those who are content with factory provided apps and want to have no control on the mobile. Simple tasks such as changing of ringtone, transferring file to others etc are headaches.
2. It is primarily embedded in MacOS enviornment. So if you have Mac, then your experience may be different. But iTunes on Windows is a horrible software, and it is compulsory to do anything (even from the limited things you are 'allowed' to do by Apple).
3. Brand aura is amazing. Everyone will identify apple phone, whether it is Rs.15k SE or Rs.1 lakh X.
4. That said, I don't think they are better than android in ANY way. Androids getting slower is mainly because of memory mismanagement by user and/or older systems. For my older androids, whenever they lag, I go to developer options and stop the old services that hog the memory. The newer androids to this themselves. And I would prefer a slow system that allows me to do anything than a fast on dictating me what to do.

For example, on an Android, you can quickly set up an mp3 as ringtone by either downloading, or by emailing it to you, or by connecting the phone to the PC. On Iphone, none of the above is possible without mental gymnastics.

iPhone is best 'as-is'. If you want your phone to do ANYTHING besides generic uncle tasks, be prepared to search a lot and ask questions on this thread a lot (like I did!)

After selling my iphone at a great depreciation loss, I have never felt happier than returning to the master of Androids, a Google Pixel 2 XL.

If at all you want to risk going to iPhone, DON'T go for SE. People may say screen size is not an issue, trust me, it is. It is basically a toy version that fits perfectly in your shirt's pocket, but that's it. Unless your job wants you be mainly making calls and not use phone otherwise, go for bigger sized ones. You should think of screensize of at least 4.7 inches onwards.

If you are open to buying used, try OLX, these phones depreciate fast.
Old 7th January 2019, 22:10   #11638
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

Quote:

What I have noticed and have been told is that iPhones usually do not slow down very easily, as they are primarily cloud based. But need confirmation from the like minded group of people - thus the query.

IPhones don't get slower because of the kind of marriage between it's software and hardware. In Android software needs to made for a plethora of configurations and the open source doesn't help either.
In simpler words in the iPhones, the software is perfectly optimized for the hardware. The reason, why even with smaller batteries, the standby time is great in the iPhones when compared to the android phones. The reason even a 5-6 year old iphone is able to run the latest ios.
Now let's talk about the performance. The performance/core is quite superior in iPhones. Androids need octa cores to somewhat match iphone 's performance!
Talking about RAM, Android needs a lot of RAM to push the apps. Apple does it much more efficiently without any lags.
Another plus is the security. Android, being an open source is vulnerable to virus/malware attacks, nothing such with the iPhones.
Also there is an option of jailbreaking of iPhones that can make you the superuser of your iPhone and enables you to do more without apple's restriction. Also it's much safer than rooting an android, which in a lot of cases bricks the android phone.
Yes an android does give the user more freedom in the stock form but it has its cons as well.

Last edited by Waspune : 7th January 2019 at 22:12.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:07   #11639
BHPian

It's a never ending fight. Android fans hate iPhones and iPhone fans hate Androids.

Then there are some of us in the middle - iPhone in the left pocket and Android in the right.

Its a myth that you need to have iTunes for everything. I never have used iTunes in the last 5 years. You need that for things you used to do a decade ago (like copying songs from PC, installing ipsw etc). Now nobody needs it.

It is also untrue that iPhones depreciate fast. It holds its value well compared to Samsungs and the likes.

You get more useful years with an iPhone than an Android phone. My iPhone 5S is as fast and fluid as my Nokia 7 plus. And it still gets iOS updates, 5 years after it was released.

Sure, iPhones are restrictive. If direct file system access is important to you, then iPhone is not for you. But even in my Nokia I rarely have to access the FS. If theming is important to you, then iPhone is not for you. But I find people who lament that they can't have themes in iPhones but praises stock Android quite funny.
Old 8th January 2019, 12:21   #11640
Distinguished - BHPian

I am okay with iPhones but what I never understood in life is people buying them for almost a lac of rupees and still finding value in it!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks