Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 15:23   #11491
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
One other serious concern, I completely gave this thought a miss when selling my 2 iPhones and transitioning to one device. And thats whatsapp!
My wife faced the same issue when switching to Note 8. We installed WhatsApp business which was using the office number (sim 2) and normal WhatsApp for her personal number (sim 1)
Old 7th November 2018, 15:50   #11492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My wife faced the same issue when switching to Note 8. We installed WhatsApp business which was using the office number (sim 2) and normal WhatsApp for her personal number (sim 1)
But Note 8 has got the dual messenger function right – with which you can have two accounts of WhatsApp, fb messenger etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am not aware of this feature/tech. When the requirement raised, downloaded and installed the business version and it worked.
This is the link - https://www.samsung.com/global/galax...ual-messenger/

It will be nice if the XS/XR have similar feature.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th November 2018 at 15:56. Reason: Link added
Old 7th November 2018, 15:51   #11493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
But Note 8 has got the dual messenger function right – with which you can have two accounts of WhatsApp, fb messenger etc.?
I am not aware of this feature/tech. When the requirement raised, downloaded and installed the business version and it worked.
Old 8th November 2018, 19:08   #11494
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the E-Sim working on my Xr after 2 days! A big relief not to carry around 2 phones! And Apple has designed some nifty features for the dual sim functionality. Instead of prompting which number to use every single time you make a call, the phone recognises the last call number and chooses that. Alternatively you can assign a personal or business number to each of the contacts and the phone will always use that number. I found this much easier as an option, and hence assigned all office contacts to my official number and my family contacts to my personal number.

The only big drawback is whatsapp usage. Fortunately for me, I have stayed away and opted out of many groups personally, so I have less of whatsapp messages coming in my personal number. So keeping me official number as the default whatsapp number and asking some of my family and friends to use this number henceforth for whatsapp. I can keep changing the numbers in whatsapp intermittently to check if there are any messages in my personal number. This is not a convenient way, but until may be an alternative comes up, like whatsapp business for iOS, then there is no other way out.
Old 13th November 2018, 12:16   #11495
BHPian

Quote:
I can keep changing the numbers in whatsapp intermittently to check if there are any messages in my personal number.

Every time whatsapp (or even iMessage) verifies your number, the sms is sent to an international number ( whatsapp sends to +44 in UK ) and you get charged for 1 international sms. Just be careful of that.
Old 14th November 2018, 00:48   #11496
Senior - BHPian

After finding my home screen too busy, I resorted to this.
The iPhone Thread-img_0136.png
Ignore the right folder as it has my personal Gmail inbox having about 20,400 emails in promotions and forums. I'm loving this and find it distraction free- the number on the badge makes me not want to read notifications.
Old 14th November 2018, 09:26   #11497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post

Ignore the right folder as it has my personal Gmail inbox having about 20,400 emails in promotions and forums. I'm loving this and find it distraction free- the number on the badge makes me not want to read notifications.
OT: My OCD will never allow me to keep so many unread notifications
Old 14th November 2018, 10:05   #11498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Attachment 1818064
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
OT: My OCD will never allow me to keep so many unread notifications
Same here! I will simply move all the messages to Archive and be done with it
Old 14th November 2018, 12:53   #11499
Senior - BHPian

I remember disabling this unread email number for specifically for gmail app, because there are generally too many unread emails. Other apps show their new notification number just fine.
Old 14th November 2018, 18:10   #11500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riteshritesh View Post
Every time whatsapp (or even iMessage) verifies your number, the sms is sent to an international number ( whatsapp sends to +44 in UK ) and you get charged for 1 international sms. Just be careful of that.

I think whatsapp pays for that since I do not have international calling in my phone !

Also off late when I try to change numbers, its displaying an message stating that I can only change after 1 day and some hours. So then I resort to the OTP via the call which then works.

once whatsapp figures out my hack they will stop the calls as well!

One more surprise though, irrespective of which number is being used by whatsapp, I still get group messages! So if my number A is linked to a whatsapp group and even if that number is not active in my phone, I get messages in that group!
Old 14th November 2018, 18:15   #11501
BANNED

Quote:

One more surprise though, irrespective of which number is being used by whatsapp, I still get group messages! So if my number A is linked to a whatsapp group and even if that number is not active in my phone, I get messages in that group!
That is because when you change the number, it replaces the previous number in your groups. This reflects in the groups and is visible to all the members of the group.
Old 15th November 2018, 15:52   #11502
BHPian

Hi All, I am planning to get iphone xs max from dubai. I can see there is a significant difference in cost when i am buying from outside vs apple store in dubai. Is there a significant advantage of buying it from apple store?
Old 15th November 2018, 17:12   #11503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Is there a significant advantage of buying it from apple store?
Facetime call and video would be disabled, apart from this, no cons. Now that international warranty is valid in India also. As long as it is genuine no cons from buying outside also, just ensure they are not carrier locked sets.
Old 15th November 2018, 18:51   #11504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Hi All, I am planning to get iphone xs max from dubai. I can see there is a significant difference in cost when i am buying from outside vs apple store in dubai. Is there a significant advantage of buying it from apple store?
If you are getting from any of the large electronic store, ask them for the international version, which is a non AE version. It will have Facetime.

Not sure if this is possible in Apple store, but there is no specific advantage of buying from Apple store, that I know off.

EDIT: I assume you meant other retailers in Dubai when you said "outside".

Last edited by HappyWheels : 15th November 2018 at 18:52.
Old 16th November 2018, 06:56   #11505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Facetime call and video would be disabled, apart from this, no cons. Now that international warranty is valid in India also. As long as it is genuine no cons from buying outside also, just ensure they are not carrier locked sets.
Thank you Jaggu for the response. I am sure it is not carrier locked. I will reconfirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
If you are getting from any of the large electronic store, ask them for the international version, which is a non AE version. It will have Facetime.

Not sure if this is possible in Apple store, but there is no specific advantage of buying from Apple store, that I know off.

EDIT: I assume you meant other retailers in Dubai when you said "outside".
Thank you HappyWheels. I will check regarding the international version. Yes, I meant the other retailers.

Most Viewed