Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 22:24   #11476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Don't know how far its true, but a colleague mentioned that XS bought in Hongkong comes with dual sim and not e-sim and regular sim respectively.

Can someone confirm, if this is factual?

Yes it is true. Hongkong and China variants have physical dual sim. Indian bands are not the same, and hence the global variant is sold instead. The Indian market is not large enough to make changes.
Old 4th November 2018, 16:00   #11477
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread

So finally bought the Xr 64 GB, black colour. Sold my iPhone 7 and 6 for around 30k together, and went for low cost EMI for the balance amount. The EMI interest sort of cancels out the 10% cash back from Citibank, so overall its like an interest free EMI scheme.

The phone feels good, slightly smaller than the 8 plus my wife uses. But the glass back is scary. My usual protection mode is an otter box case, but at current USD rates the otter box case looks super expensive if you buy if from otterbox.asia. Comes out to nearly 5k! So dropped that plan for the time being and ordered a Spigen case from Amazon, should be delivered today. May be I will look at the otterbox case when a friend or myself travel out of India.

But the biggest disappointment is that the E-Sim is not yet enabled and no one at JIO has any idea about this at all. So Im now using my official number in the phone and my personal sim is idle. A huge issue since all bank OTPs and all communication comes to my personal number. Not sure what to do now. If folks at JIO take longer then I might have to look at some standby phone for a brief period, which would be a sheer waste of money when the e-sim becomes available.
Old 4th November 2018, 17:08   #11478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
But the biggest disappointment is that the E-Sim is not yet enabled and no one at JIO has any idea about this at all. So Im now using my official number in the phone and my personal sim is idle. A huge issue since all bank OTPs and all communication comes to my personal number. Not sure what to do now. If folks at JIO take longer then I might have to look at some standby phone for a brief period, which would be a sheer waste of money when the e-sim becomes available.

A friend who has an Airtel number got this message :

Just a few days more !! Very soon you will be able to enjoy 2 numbers on your iPhone since we are launching eSIM feature for you shortly. Stay tuned for more updates !
Message from Airtel

So I guess even Jio would eventually be joining the bandwagon. Till then you can use any feature phone to receive OTPs
Old 4th November 2018, 18:09   #11479
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Don't know how far its true, but a colleague mentioned that XS bought in Hongkong comes with dual sim and not e-sim and regular sim respectively.

This is a fact. My wife travels there regularly and her colleagues in that region who use new models of iPhones, all have that dual SIM capability.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:44   #11480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Apple has China specific model with dual sim I guess. More details here https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT209086
Old 5th November 2018, 12:03   #11481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Apple has China specific model with dual sim I guess. More details here https://support.apple.com/en-hk/HT209086
Will they work in India?
Old 5th November 2018, 12:07   #11482
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Will they work in India?
Please check the carrier specs and see if it is supported by your provider. I haven't gone through the specs in details.
Old 5th November 2018, 12:12   #11483
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
A friend who has an Airtel number got this message :

Just a few days more !! Very soon you will be able to enjoy 2 numbers on your iPhone since we are launching eSIM feature for you shortly. Stay tuned for more updates !
Message from Airtel

So I guess even Jio would eventually be joining the bandwagon. Till then you can use any feature phone to receive OTPs
I got the E-Sim activated on 31st October, right after the 12.1 was release. Even though the process is straight forward, I had to wait for a few hours without network till the E-sim was activated.

Last edited by patron : 5th November 2018 at 12:15.
Old 5th November 2018, 13:54   #11484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
I got the E-Sim activated on 31st October, right after the 12.1 was release. Even though the process is straight forward, I had to wait for a few hours without network till the E-sim was activated.
Which network was this and what was the process you followed? Details would help others.
Old 5th November 2018, 19:36   #11485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Which network was this and what was the process you followed? Details would help others.
Need to send an SMS to 121 with content as esim <registered-email>

There will be an activation email with QR code.
Scan the code from settings > Mobile Data > Add Data Plan.

Rest of the settings will be intuitive.
Old 5th November 2018, 19:45   #11486
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron View Post
Need to send an SMS to 121 with content as esim <registered-email>

There will be an activation email with QR code.
Scan the code from settings > Mobile Data > Add Data Plan.

Rest of the settings will be intuitive.
Thank you so much, this I infer is for Airtel from the 121 number. Seems pretty convenient compared to the Jio where one has to goto the store with device and all
Old 5th November 2018, 22:18   #11487
Senior - BHPian

Had a very frustrating and unproductive day trying to install e-sim in my Xr. Apparently JIO is not as prepared for the e-sim roll out, first none of the folks at the store or customer care are aware of it. I had to tweet Jio care to get any response. And then they did get a process note, their system, JIO POS does not seem to handle it well. I spent an hour at a JIO counter with no success. Lets see if something happens in a day or two.

One other serious concern, I completely gave this thought a miss when selling my 2 iPhones and transitioning to one device. And thats whatsapp! Dependency on whatsapp is very heavy at the office, many groups and daily communications happen. On a personal level, I do not have as many groups, but since I can use only one number as a whatsapp number, how do you manage communication? My personal number has been with me for ages and old friends and folks would always whatsapp. Is there any short cut to using both numbers? I have heard of app cloning in android devices but also sure apple would never allow this.
Old 6th November 2018, 06:12   #11488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One other serious concern, I completely gave this thought a miss when selling my 2 iPhones and transitioning to one device. And thats whatsapp!.
I really doubt you can have two whatsapp accounts on the same iPhone even with dual SIM. Not sure how well this would work but you can use iPhone whatsapp for your office number and then use a cheap phone to sign-in to whatsapp with personal number and use whatsapp web on the iPhone. Put the personal sim back in the iphone after getting the whatsapp web working.

To be honest I never liked dual sim concept and prefer carrying two phones. Not sure how iPhone implemented it but on Android the chances of using the wrong number to call/text people is very high, also hate the extra step to select SIM when making a call.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:53   #11489
BHPian

Quote:
Had a very frustrating and unproductive day trying to install e-sim in my Xr. Apparently JIO is not as prepared for the e-sim roll out, first none of the folks at the store or customer care are aware of it. I had to tweet Jio care to get any response. And then they did get a process note, their system, JIO POS does not seem to handle it well. I spent an hour at a JIO counter with no success. Lets see if something happens in a day or two.

A good news for you :
https://www.indiatoday.in/technology...652-2018-11-05
Old 6th November 2018, 13:22   #11490
BHPian

Quote:
I have heard of app cloning in android devices but also sure apple would never allow this.
You can sideload and sign WhatsApp app with another bundle id on your iPhone but unless you have a developer account or a pro-signing service, push notifications for the sideloaded WhatsApp won't work and you will have to resign the app every 7 days.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks