Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 21:04   #12226
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Tried that. Didn't work. Here's a video clip of the issue that I shot just now. Apart from this issue, another thing I noticed that any recorded video on the phone starts in mute mode by default. You have to enable the volume to have the audio. This is not just with 13.1.1. It came right with iOS 13:
I just tried it in my phone (iphone X) and am not able to replicate it. I can see that my ringer volume remains the same even after restarting.

This may sound dumb but if you have a case, try removing it and cleaning it up. If not, you can try a force restart and check if that helps.
Old 30th September 2019, 22:13   #12227
BHPian

The iPhone Thread

@saket77 - what model is this?
Old 30th September 2019, 22:33   #12228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
This may sound dumb but if you have a case, try removing it and cleaning it up. If not, you can try a force restart and check if that helps.
The case is not interfering with the operation for sure. The ringer volume icon would have appeared anyway if it was interfering. As you can see in the video, there is nothing as such.
Tried force start but to no avail. Happens most of the time if not always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
@saket77 - what model is this?
This is a 6S.

Regards,
Saket
Old 1st October 2019, 00:55   #12229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The problem is that blocks work on phone numbers. However, in India, we have these SMS Service Providers with cryptic names instead of numbers (like VK-VWCARE

The only solution for this is turning off sms message notifications and checking for sms manually.

This way you are not at the mercy of spammers who grab our attention via sms every hour.

I have done this since 2 years and every night I delete all unwanted stuff.

OT: HDFC guys have tied up with Airtel for flash messages with their offers! I was dumbstruck when I saw this and had to turn off flash messaging in sim settings which I had done last on iOS 12. Add to their incessant calling, this flash messaging was really an eye sore and blatant misuse of an emergency only service.
Old 1st October 2019, 04:26   #12230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

This is a 6S.

Regards,

Saket

Ok. Not sure what else to suggest. Better to take backup and reset your phone.

In other news , iOS 13.1.2 a minor update of around 75mb has been released.
Old 1st October 2019, 07:16   #12231
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Ok. Not sure what else to suggest. Better to take backup and reset your phone.
Hmmm. Will check that sometime later. Since we don’t restart phones much, it isn’t too much of a bother but definitely an irritant.

Quote:
In other news , iOS 13.1.2 a minor update of around 75mb has been released.
Thanks for the information. This is getting funny now. 4th update within 10 days! Speaks volumes about the beta testing. Also do we have to earmark all available space on iPhones for their updates only?

Regards,
Saket
Old 1st October 2019, 09:28   #12232
BHPian

Hello everyone, this time I was really tempted to get iPhone Xr or X but I had a fear of getting trapped in apple ecosystem. I had a few questions if someone is able to help me:

1. How hard is it to switch from an android to iOS or iOS to android as my dad has over 5000 contacts and in androids it is really simple?
2. Benefits of the iOS over android.
3. My dad takes loads of calls, sometimes he does have meeting over phones which can go as long as 1 - 2 hours. How is the battery backup in real world usage?

PS I don't mean to start any war, just want an advice before switching over.
Old 1st October 2019, 09:43   #12233
BHPian

13.1.2 is out as well. Fixes some more bugs. Updated today morning.
Old 1st October 2019, 09:55   #12234
BHPian

iOS 13.1 is running butter smooth in my iPhone 7. The only problem that I have faced till now is that when I try to view Apple ID it crashes. Hope this is rectified in 13.1.2.
Old 1st October 2019, 10:07   #12235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
13.1.2 is out as well. Fixes some more bugs. Updated today morning.
Updated to 13.1.2. One thing is definitely clear that 13.0 was rushed for the event deadline and for shipping the IP11. Noticed one more issue that the reminders on iOS 13 don't sync with reminders of my other devices running lower versions.

Some people over the net had me in splits...

"Jesus. I don’t know whether to be impressed or worried!"

"They're REALLY innovating this year...13.1.x updates every week until the holidays."

"These frequent updates give me hope for being a developer at Apple sooner than expected."

"I know its like Brexit - never ending"

This one takes the cake:

"I'm not applying 13.1.2. I'm waiting 30 minutes for 13.1.3"

Regards,
Saket
Old 1st October 2019, 10:09   #12236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
Hello everyone, this time I was really tempted to get iPhone Xr or X but I had a fear of getting trapped in apple ecosystem. I had a few questions if someone is able to help me:

1. How hard is it to switch from an android to iOS or iOS to android as my dad has over 5000 contacts and in androids it is really simple?
2. Benefits of the iOS over android.
3. My dad takes loads of calls, sometimes he does have meeting over phones which can go as long as 1 - 2 hours. How is the battery backup in real world usage?

PS I don't mean to start any war, just want an advice before switching over.
I have gone back and forth several times. Since I did not use Apple apps (cloud, email, photos, notes etc) but used Google Apps (Drive, Gmail, Google Photos, Keep etc) the switching was pretty easy. The only problem was with WhatsApp messages. When you switch, the messages you received in the previous ecosystem cannot be migrated to the new one. Some people have suggested workarounds, but none has worked for me.

Last edited by civic-sense : 1st October 2019 at 10:20.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:22   #12237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
*SNIP*

Now hopefully I can jailbreak soon once CheckM8 is available (need to check details).
Why? What exactly do you hope to achieve by doing so?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
The only solution for this is turning off sms message notifications and checking for sms manually.
My issue is NOT with notifications - I have Notifications completely turned off - never need them. My issue is with the fact that I am even receiving those SMSes. I do not want to even receive those.

Would you please explain what you mean by "Flash Messages" and where exactly you turn them off?

Thanks and cheers!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st October 2019 at 11:55. Reason: Back to back posts merged, quote trimmed, typos corrected.
Old 1st October 2019, 11:39   #12238
BHPian

13.1.2 is out, mostly for bug fixes etc. Updated my Xs just now.
Old 1st October 2019, 12:00   #12239
BHPian

My sister who has been using Iphone 6S for three years wanted to change her phone and was confused between 11 and XS. I was leaning towards the Iphone 11 as it had new hardware and better battery life. My sister wanted Iphone XS because it was slightly smaller in size and had a better screen. Surprisingly, the XS was costing more than the 11 in spite of being a year old. The price of XS was high on Amazon so I inquired about the price in US. I was told that Iphone XS is no longer available in US on a contract free basis. A relative of mine was coming from Dubai and he managed to get one XS from the airport.

Apparently there are two versions sold in UAE – one with facetime and one without facetime. I did not know the difference between them so went with the version with facetime. The 64GB XS costed me 70k. I am not sure if I made the right decision.
Old 1st October 2019, 12:34   #12240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Would you please explain what you mean by "Flash Messages" and where exactly you turn them off?
I don't know if you can disable flash messages; those messages which flash directly on your screen automatically. They are generally not stored in inbox.

However you may disable the cell broadcast by dialing *5005*25370# & hit call. To enable again, *5005*25371#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Apparently there are two versions sold in UAE – one with facetime and one without facetime. I did not know the difference between them so went with the version with facetime. The 64GB XS costed me 70k. I am not sure if I made the right decision.
You went with the right version. iPhones sold in UAE had to abide by the local laws which prohibit VOIP and hence video-calling too. Price wise, I think you got a good deal for the XS.

Regards,
Saket

Most Viewed