Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2021, 06:39   #13726
BHPian
 
Ithaca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MH 43 // MH 46
Posts: 326
Thanked: 806 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Hi guys

Please suggest me a good case/guard for my 11 pro. It’s a new device and I am open to all kinds of suggestions. Thank you!
Visit Amazon India and search for "Spigen" brand for cases. They are good quality cases. Spigen also makes good quality screen guards. (I am a long time user of Spigen products and very happy with their quality)

Example 1 Spigen Ultra Hybrid Back Cover Case Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro

Example 2 Spigen Ultra Hybrid Back Cover Case Compatible with iPhone 11 Pro

Off Topic, do check out boAt or similar braided charging cable for your iPhone on Amazon.
The quality of the iPhone charging cable shipped with the phone in the box leaves a lot to be desired and this is usually my second purchase after a case.
You will also find braided charging cables of 1.8 meters length which will be useful in your vehicle.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 10:21   #13727
BHPian
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 705
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I've been noticing for the past few months that iBooks keeps crashing often and randomly. Initially thought it was only during battery saver mode, but now seeing it even with a fully charged battery. The screen just freezes and the current reading book fails to open. Sometimes goes into a black screen and then back to Home Screen after a few seconds.
I have an ageing Ipad 2 where I have lots of iBooks to read. This behavior is normal with some books. If the book has many illustrations or images, iOs tries to render the images along with the text and if it is too much for it to handle it crashes (freezes) and then recovers on its own. It will write a log about the incident.
The simple solution is not to keep too many books in iBook app. Second thing which also helps is to have sufficient free 'disk' space in iPhone/iPad. Hidden under the iOs, it uses swap memory. All swap files system require adequate free space.
Prowler is offline  
Old 18th June 2021, 19:39   #13728
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,344
Thanked: 1,585 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The simple solution is not to keep too many books in iBook app. Second thing which also helps is to have sufficient free 'disk' space in iPhone/iPad. Hidden under the iOs, it uses swap memory. All swap files system require adequate free space.
I only have fiction epubs in iBooks. about 10 of them at a time. These don't have images in them except the cover image.
Also I've used only 27.7 of the 64 GB so I should assume that swap memory wouldn't be the problem.
Unfortunately yesterday even the Facebook app crashed. I switched off the phone and restarted it and the problem seems to have resolved.
It's just that apps never used to crash in iOS before. I've never switched off the phone except when the charge runs out or for service like replacing the SIM or battery.
wildsdi5530 is offline  
Old 18th June 2021, 20:25   #13729
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 6,574
Thanked: 17,208 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys, when you put your phone for charging, as a good practice, consider removing the cover from the device to let the heat dissipate. Plus, charge the device only when it goes into low power mode and charge it all the way to 95 - 100% and turn the charger off instead of leaving it for charging it overnight.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 20:28   #13730
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,140
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Hi everyone

Is iPhone 11 better VFM at the moment than Iphone12 at the moment ?

Usage 3 yr max.

Found the 11 screen a bit soothing than 12 screen.

Consumption usage is mainly emails, Spotify internet and casual Netflixing…

Thanks
Rahulk76 is offline  
Old 18th June 2021, 22:53   #13731
BHPian
 
speedfreak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 145
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Hi everyone

Is iPhone 11 better VFM at the moment than Iphone12 at the moment ?

Usage 3 yr max.

Found the 11 screen a bit soothing than 12 screen.

Consumption usage is mainly emails, Spotify internet and casual Netflixing…

Thanks
Why not wait till September for the upcoming iPhone 13 or 12S whatever is coming. And if that will be costly ( as expected ), you can pickup the iPhone 12 whose price will start going down after launch of the new one.
speedfreak01 is offline  
Old 18th June 2021, 23:26   #13732
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,095
Thanked: 36,886 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, when you put your phone for charging, as a good practice, consider removing the cover from the device to let the heat dissipate. Plus, charge the device only when it goes into low power mode and charge it all the way to 95 - 100% and turn the charger off instead of leaving it for charging it overnight.
Or just click on enable optimized charging and let the phones AI manage the charging

Quote:
Your iPhone uses on-device machine learning to learn your daily charging routine so that Optimized Battery Charging activates only when your iPhone predicts it will be connected to a charger for an extended period of time. The algorithm aims to ensure that your iPhone is still fully charged when unplugged. When the feature is enabled, your iPhone will delay charging past 80% in certain situations.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 18th June 2021 at 23:27.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 23:41   #13733
BHPian
 
PaddleShifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CH01 - UK12
Posts: 601
Thanked: 1,094 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Hi everyone

Is iPhone 11 better VFM at the moment than Iphone12 at the moment ?

Usage 3 yr max.

Found the 11 screen a bit soothing than 12 screen.

Consumption usage is mainly emails, Spotify internet and casual Netflixing…

Thanks
11 is ok because I am going to go even a step back. LoL.

I bought iPhone 11 earlier this year and after using it for 5 months, I’d say even iPhone XR is a great deal. My junior has XR and since we have been working for extended time together in the same room, I have seen its performance in detail over months. I bought 11 only because I was not ok with the single camera lens in XR. XR will last 3 years comfortably, has the same display and everything minus the second camera lens. You can find detailed differences between XR and 11 specifications online.

XR and 11 had a price difference of 14k back in January and XR included the charger and headset too that the 11 didn’t. The price difference exceeds 17k when these are factored in.

Disclaimer: I generally believe in taking a one step old technology rather than the absolute new stuff that is always overpriced when it comes to gadgets. The way updates are coming to the gadgets/phones etc, what is new today no longer remains “latest” after 6 months anyway.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 00:01   #13734
Senior - BHPian
 
Cyborg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,133
Thanked: 1,967 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Found the 11 screen a bit soothing than 12 screen.
Rahul, it’s a strange comment, soothing screen. Check my comments below, it may apply to you.

The 12 series (all of them) come with a OLED screen while the 11 is the only one in the 11 line up to have an LCD screen.

Check if you can tolerate the OLED screen by trying it for a longer period. Read about Pulse Width Management (PWM) with OLED screens online and how it affects some people. It causes eye strain and headaches among other issues.

I know about it because I cannot tolerate Apple’s OLED screens. I had to sell my 11 Pro Max and settle for a 11 because of the LCD screen.

Lasting wise, I don’t think either phone will be an issue for more than 3 years. I bought my 11 in November 2019 and it’s still performing like new.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th June 2021 at 00:04.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 20:14   #13735
BHPian
 
Candy$Cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Allahabad
Posts: 118
Thanked: 668 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys,
Has anyone of you changed batteries of your older iphones? Is it worth to go for a new battery and do the new battery last like the one came with the phone? Also, what is the cost for one?

My brother has upgraded to the 12 pro and so has handed me down his 7 plus. For a 3 year old device ( with a 4 year old hardware, he bought it after the 8 plus was launched), it still works pretty smoothly! The battery health is down to 77% and so I run out of juice mid day.
I don't want to sell it as it is working very well, no lags whatsoever. In comparison my oneplus 6T, after 2.5 years suffers from occasional stuttering and lagging.
Candy$Cars is offline  
Old 21st June 2021, 11:42   #13736
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 132
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Guys,
Has anyone of you changed batteries of your older iphones? Is it worth to go for a new battery and do the new battery last like the one came with the phone? Also, what is the cost for one?
Change it from Authorised Apple Service Centre only. It will cost around 10K or so however it's worth it as it'll surely last 2-3 years more depending on the usage. Don't change it from the local service centre as most of them will use Chinese duplicate batteries which don't last long.
VJ05 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2021, 11:44   #13737
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 132
Thanked: 148 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys - I hate using the covers in the phones. Currently using a back screen guard in my 12 Pro Max but it's not of good quality. Does anyone know good quality back screen guard?
VJ05 is offline  
Old 21st June 2021, 11:51   #13738
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 19,645
Thanked: 13,499 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy$Cars View Post
Guys,
Has anyone of you changed batteries of your older iphones? Is it worth to go for a new battery and do the new battery last like the one came with the phone? Also, what is the cost for one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Change it from Authorised Apple Service Centre only. It will cost around 10K or so however it's worth it as it'll surely last 2-3 years more depending on the usage. Don't change it from the local service centre as most of them will use Chinese duplicate batteries which don't last long.
+1 use the apple authorised centre to replace the battery, the cost is around 6k if I remember correct for your model since it is old. I would say worth every penny coz it can easily give you another 2-3 years if the device is otherwise in good condition.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:43   #13739
BHPian
 
krish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin/Bangalore
Posts: 754
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Rahul, it’s a strange comment, soothing screen. Check my comments below, it may apply to you.

The 12 series (all of them) come with a OLED screen while the 11 is the only one in the 11 line up to have an LCD screen.

Check if you can tolerate the OLED screen by trying it for a longer period. Read about Pulse Width Management (PWM) with OLED screens online and how it affects some people. It causes eye strain and headaches among other issues.

I know about it because I cannot tolerate Apple’s OLED screens. I had to sell my 11 Pro Max and settle for a 11 because of the LCD screen.

Lasting wise, I don’t think either phone will be an issue for more than 3 years. I bought my 11 in November 2019 and it’s still performing like new.

Cheers
You aren't rare among those having issues with iPhone OLED screens. I'm used to OLED screens from my Androids for years and had no issues till date. But I have headaches while using my 12Pro, which I don't have when I use my wife's old 6S or her iPhone 11.

I'm not selling it off because of the massive loss I'd get by selling it, and the lack of good small(ish) screen phones in the market. The good part of it is that I'm using less of the phone nowadays.
krish3 is offline  
Old 23rd June 2021, 12:38   #13740
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/NCR
Posts: 1,542
Thanked: 1,406 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
+1 use the apple authorised centre to replace the battery, the cost is around 6k if I remember correct for your model since it is old. I would say worth every penny coz it can easily give you another 2-3 years if the device is otherwise in good condition.
The last time I checked, original batteries from Apple authorised service costed a flat 3.5k across all models. This was in July 2020.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks