Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2021, 14:55   #13816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Visited apple service today to get my iPhone 6s battery changed. The phone is working flawlessly so decided to plonk 3600 bucks for the new battery. Though the part wasn’t available off the shelf so they have placed an order and It will be done in a week’s time.

But the twist is that my requirement is now a dual sim phone, so was looking at XR or the 11 but then no charger, no headphones, no 3.5mm Jack and no lightning to 3.5mm cable looks like too much absurd to handle for a 6S user. Also, August is probably the worst time to shop for an iPhone since new ones will be coming out in a less than month and that means some price cuts for the older phones.
I was in the same boat but gave in and bought iPhone 12 yesterday from Flipkart sale. iPhone 12 128gb costed 72k against MRP of 85k.
I was also waiting for iPhone 13 launch and then buy iPhone 12 with better discount but was not sure if discount will be significantly more than current discount.

I am currently using iPhone 7 with battery life 72%. I get 2 hours screen time. Couldn't live with it anymore because of heavy usage in my business.
I got the screen replaced (outside repair for 4k) 6 months before. This screen also started giving issues.

I will just sell it on cashify which shows 8.5k value once i receive my iPhone 12 tomorrow.

Receiving my iPhone 12 tomorrow.

Any recommendation for full leather case? My budget is around 2k. It should age well. I was looking at an Indian Leather Craft case, but didn't like the finish in the pics. There is another one from "Mujjo" brand of Netherlands at 3.6k which looks great.

Also looking for 20W charger with dual port. I've shortlisted, a URBN brand charger, but both ports don't work simultaneously as reported in Amazon reviews. I don't want to spend more than 1k.

I also want to put a screen guard. I could hardly find any TPU film on Amazon. There is tempered glass everywhere. I don't want to put tempered glass.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th August 2021 at 19:39.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th August 2021, 21:21   #13817
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

I upgraded from iPhone 7 (2018 to 2021) to iPhone 12 Pro. It is one of my impulsive decisions, reasons :-
  • Though iPhone 7 battery was degraded over the years, but being at home made me flexible with charging time.
  • I am not a camera guy. iPhone 7 itself exceeded my expectations.
  • By no means iPhone 7 felt slow, even after heavy usage.
  • TouchID is way more user friendly when compared to FaceID.
  • I still believe iPhone 7 to be perfectly sized.
  • Never felt the need for more storage.

iPhone 12 Pro isn’t worth the premium it commands over iPhone 12 IMHO or a drastic upgrade from my earlier iPhone 7.

My favourite - iPhone 7 (32GB)
The iPhone Thread-70c1b42ad6a54e95bf7c724107d924b4.jpeg

My current workhorse - iPhone 12 Pro (128 GB)
The iPhone Thread-5f66dbc0d51c4f90a67340e94612d478.jpeg
GautamJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 21:30   #13818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
  • Though iPhone 7 battery was degraded over the years, but being at home made me flexible with charging time.
  • I am not a camera guy. iPhone 7 itself exceeded my expectations.
  • By no means iPhone 7 felt slow, even after heavy usage.
  • TouchID is way more user friendly when compared to FaceID.
+1

I have these devices to test applications (a developer in IT Security). For average user, iPhone 7 is still fast enough. I feel the same way about TouchID and FaceID.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2021, 23:03   #13819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ View Post
I upgraded from iPhone 7 (2018 to 2021) to iPhone 12 Pro. It is one of my impulsive decisions
I am still using iPhone 6S which I bought in 2015. I was planning to buy iPhone 12 last year but WFH means I can charge phone more flexibly like you mentioned. Now I am thinking to replace phone this year but honestly I am unable to find a reason to do so except battery is pretty bad. I think i can definitely carry on one more year with 6S.
Old 25th August 2021, 23:40   #13820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am still using iPhone 6S which I bought in 2015. I was planning to buy iPhone 12 last year but WFH means I can charge phone more flexibly like you mentioned. Now I am thinking to replace phone this year but honestly I am unable to find a reason to do so except battery is pretty bad. I think i can definitely carry on one more year with 6S.
Why dont you change the battery? I just did it recently 3.5k( for 8plus). I would say not bad for short term extension.
Old 25th August 2021, 23:57   #13821
BHPian

Quote:
I too went from a 2015 6S to the 12 Pro Max in dec last year, best decision ever. Get the 13 Pro Max you’ll definitely feel a major difference in everything, from the screen to the camera. Cheers.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 00:28   #13822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Also looking for 20W charger with dual port. I've shortlisted, a URBN brand charger, but both ports don't work simultaneously as reported in Amazon reviews. I don't want to spend more than 1k.
Congrats on your new phone!
I recently bought a Portronics dual-port charger from Amazon. Here's the link. You can check the specifications as per your needs.
It is working well for the past 1 month and has a decent built as per the price.
Old 26th August 2021, 07:14   #13823
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GautamJ
I am not a camera guy. iPhone 7 itself exceeded my expectations.
This is one key reason to feel that the 12 pro is not an upgrade. For normal day-to-day usage, iPhone with its latest software looks pretty much same across the past few generations. I recently moved my work phone from a 11 pro to XR. As an office phone, no difference at all. Work apps, email, MS Teams, all work the same way as it was in the 11pro. Camera doesn’t matter as well; both phones are good with occasional bill/receipt pictures. The difference is major when it comes to the camera. I would say even my 12 mini’s (personal phone) standard camera is an improvement from the 11 pro. And I am sure those incremental upgrades will follow next month with the 13/12s.

----

On a separate note, the resale value for iPhones is just brilliant. As mentioned above, I switched my work phone to an XR because my current employer provided that with a new work number, in earlier place I was using my personal device/number and claim back monthly. We already have an old XR as a spare phone at home, so decided to sell off the 11 pro (256GB). After listing online, within an hour someone came down to pick it up for SGD 800 (around INR 44,000). Not bad at all for an 18-month-old phone with couple of solid scratches on the screen!
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 12:49   #13824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Why dont you change the battery? I just did it recently 3.5k( for 8plus). I would say not bad for short term extension.
Planning to do this now. I checked cashify where they are charging 1350 for battery replacement but whenever I try to setup appointment, it says no slot available.

I called the nearby Apple Authorized service center (Aptronix in Borivali (West), Mumbai) and they quoted me 2854 Rupees. Will see if I can go on weekend. As of today, she told battery is available so replacement can be done right then and there.
Old 26th August 2021, 12:56   #13825
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Planning to do this now. I checked cashify where they are charging 1350 for battery replacement but whenever I try to setup appointment, it says no slot available.

I called the nearby Apple Authorized service center (Aptronix in Borivali (West), Mumbai) and they quoted me 2854 Rupees. Will see if I can go on weekend. As of today, she told battery is available so replacement can be done right then and there.
Get it done at authorized Apple service center. You will get the OEM replacement with them. Any where else, it would be fake. I made this mistake of replacing my earlier iPhone SE's battery with a battery from Amazon, and it had bulging problem within 2 months.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2021, 13:05   #13826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Get it done at authorized Apple service center. You will get the OEM replacement with them. Any where else, it would be fake. I made this mistake of replacing my earlier iPhone SE's battery with a battery from Amazon, and it had bulging problem within 2 months.
I totally understand. I am right now using an aftermarket battery and it is pretty bad now. The 2854 Rupees quote I mentioned is from authorized apple service center.
Old 26th August 2021, 13:39   #13827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I am curious (since i gave it recently), how did you find the bulging issue?
Did it dislodge you outer cover? Did it really bulge by such a huge amount?

Any other side effects?

Edit: Just checked youtube, seems screen popping out also is possible.
Device exploding is also possible (scary)

I think with new iphones if it is non-OEM battery the phone gives an error when you select the battery menu.

Last edited by SideView : 26th August 2021 at 13:56.
Old 26th August 2021, 14:29   #13828
BHPian

Quote:
I think with new iphones if it is non-OEM battery the phone gives an error when you select the battery menu.
I think it notifies the user that it is aftermarket battery or something. I am not 100% sure as I have 6S and that does not show any such warning.
Old 26th August 2021, 14:51   #13829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am curious (since i gave it recently), how did you find the bulging issue?
Did it dislodge you outer cover? Did it really bulge by such a huge amount?
Yes. The screen was being pushed out. I too was worried about the battery exploding. Within a week of noticing this, I upgraded to iPhone 11 and switched off the SE.
Old 26th August 2021, 17:24   #13830
BHPian

I got my 6s battery replaced at Cashify recently and no issues so far.

Quote:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks