Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 21:57   #13771
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 488
Thanked: 547 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

My daughter is using an iphone 7, 128Gb Red phone. She has no complaints so far but was thinking to switch her to 12 mini because I am getting a buyback of 9800 on FK for her older phone. It is 3.5 years old now, should I go in for the iphone 12 mini now or wait for a better price in Sep/Oct?
diyguy is offline  
Old 28th July 2021, 22:38   #13772
BHPian
 
gautamkhadse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: pune
Posts: 343
Thanked: 306 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My daughter is using an iphone 7, 128Gb Red phone. She has no complaints so far but was thinking to switch her to 12 mini because I am getting a buyback of 9800 on FK for her older phone. It is 3.5 years old now, should I go in for the iphone 12 mini now or wait for a better price in Sep/Oct?
You should check the buy price of that phone on Cashify. You'll probably get a lot more than 9.8 K. Better to sell it to cashify and get a FK voucher and use that to buy a phone on Flipkart.

May I suggest that you upgrade to an iphone 11 or even a iphone 11 pro . The 12 mini to me, just doesn't have anything to offer. The 12 series has the famous screen refresh issue which causes headaches to some and if that hapens in your case you'd be stuck with a phone that you don't want . So for now, the series 11 is the best upgrade .

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th July 2021 at 09:47. Reason: Minor typos.
gautamkhadse is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th July 2021, 07:58   #13773
Senior - BHPian
 
motorworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 3,102 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My daughter is using an iphone 7, 128Gb Red phone. She has no complaints so far but was thinking to switch her to 12 mini because I am getting a buyback of 9800 on FK for her older phone. It is 3.5 years old now, should I go in for the iphone 12 mini now or wait for a better price in Sep/Oct?
The 12 mini works as long as your daughter is fine with the screen size. I just switched from the XR to the regular 12 and I think itís a significant upgrade in terms of camera and speed. The 12 mini is almost the same as the 12, so I think in terms of performance it would be a good leap from the 7. Normally, prices of the existing iPhone models come down a bit sometime in December when the next generation phone is launched, but not before that. You can try in Cashify or even CEX, but my guess is 10-12k maybe the best value for a 7.
motorworks is offline  
Old 29th July 2021, 09:19   #13774
Team-BHP Support
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 6,457
Thanked: 9,057 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
My daughter is using an iphone 7, 128Gb Red phone. She has no complaints so far but was thinking to switch her to 12 mini
Go for it! 12 mini is a wonderful device and coming from the 7, your girl will love it. I have been using the mini for the past 4 months and absolutely love the form factor. Its exactly the same phone as the regular 12 with a small screen and slightly smaller battery. If your daughter is keen on a larger screen size, go for the 12. My daughter is using a 12 (128gb red color).

Do not go for the previous gen 11/11 pro models; in two months your daughter's new phone will be 2 generations old! I moved to 12 mini from an 11 pro (still have that as my work phone), and can safely say that the 12/ 12 mini takes better pictures than the 11 pro.
vb-san is offline  
Old 29th July 2021, 14:24   #13775
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 488
Thanked: 547 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Thanks guys, I've taken the plunge and ordered the iPhone 12 mini for my daughter. Please suggest a reasonably priced case and tempered glass, if available online. My son has managed to break his screen through tempered glass couple of times, so thinking i am not buying the right type. He broke his Samsung M12 supposedly having gorilla glass twice, and both times there was a cheapo tempered glass on it.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 15:18   #13776
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 13,905
Thanked: 11,115 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Please suggest a reasonably priced case and tempered glass, if available online. My son has managed to break his screen through tempered glass couple of times,..
The cheap ones available outside and online are often just covers, enough to protect from scratches. Sold by the kilogram, I hear.

Do check with the local apple stores if they have something. Should be better than what's available outside.
condor is offline  
Old 29th July 2021, 15:40   #13777
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,612
Thanked: 10,239 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Please suggest a reasonably priced case and tempered glass, if available online.
You've two options:
- buy one (for 100-200) from a local shop or from the street, this will be nothing but a glorified screen plastic
- buy one from the Apple Store itself. I bought mine along with the 11; cost me about 1200. Very sturdy, proper fit, no bubbles/coming off

Also, vanity aside, I strongly recommend using a Spigen case. This will protect the phone and minimize a direct hit on the screen.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 15:45   #13778
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 295
Thanked: 539 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Thanks guys, I've taken the plunge and ordered the iPhone 12 mini for my daughter. Please suggest a reasonably priced case and tempered glass, if available online. My son has managed to break his screen through tempered glass couple of times, so thinking i am not buying the right type. He broke his Samsung M12 supposedly having gorilla glass twice, and both times there was a cheapo tempered glass on it.
Checkout spigen screen protectors. This is a reputed company and I am sure you will get 2 pack for 1K or so. I think they also come with those adjusters that help you in properly aligning the protector to screen and give you a perfect application.
raksrules is offline  
Old 30th July 2021, 09:57   #13779
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/NCR
Posts: 1,544
Thanked: 1,437 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Guys, these new iOS updates have completely ruined my Apple Watch - Airpods - iPhone integrated experience. Few issues I am facing:

1. My Apple Watch gets mandatorily locked when I take it off my wrist. I think there is some employer setting installed on my iPhone that does not let me turn this off. I am fine with this.
So previously, before iOS 14.7 came in, I had to wear the watch and unlock my phone and my watch would unlock too.
But now with iOS 14.7, this happens only on the 3rd try. Its almost like a set feature - that you have to lock and unlock your phone twice and then only on the 3rd attempt your watch gets unlocked.

This is even more frustrating when you are wearing a mask.

2. Before iOS 14, Airpods were my favourite. They would work, connect seamlessly with my phone. After iOS 14 it does not connect 50% of the times. Many a times it has happened that I have received client calls on the phone and tried to quickly put my airpods on only to realize that it has not connected. I thought this was the issue with my set of airpods, but then I tried another one for a few days - and the same issue persisted. These are the normal airpods by the way, not the Pros.

Last edited by Pancham : 30th July 2021 at 10:02.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 11:06   #13780
Newbie
 
TheDarkKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 14
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, these new iOS updates have completely ruined my Apple Watch - Airpods - iPhone integrated experience. Few issues I am facing:

1. My Apple Watch gets mandatorily locked when I take it off my wrist. I think there is some employer setting installed on my iPhone that does not let me turn this off. I am fine with this.
So previously, before iOS 14.7 came in, I had to wear the watch and unlock my phone and my watch would unlock too.
But now with iOS 14.7, this happens only on the 3rd try. Its almost like a set feature - that you have to lock and unlock your phone twice and then only on the 3rd attempt your watch gets unlocked.

This is even more frustrating when you are wearing a mask.
Update to 14.7.1 as it has been released a few days back as a hotfix to specifically address the Apple Watch unlock and related issues.

Cheers,
TheDarkKnight
TheDarkKnight is offline  
Old 30th July 2021, 11:17   #13781
BHPian
 
97_Octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 180
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Guys, these new iOS updates have completely ruined my Apple Watch - Airpods - iPhone integrated experience. Few issues I am facing:

1. My Apple Watch gets mandatorily locked when I take it off my wrist. I think there is some employer setting installed on my iPhone that does not let me turn this off. I am fine with this.
So previously, before iOS 14.7 came in, I had to wear the watch and unlock my phone and my watch would unlock too.
But now with iOS 14.7, this happens only on the 3rd try. Its almost like a set feature - that you have to lock and unlock your phone twice and then only on the 3rd attempt your watch gets unlocked.

This is even more frustrating when you are wearing a mask.

2. Before iOS 14, Airpods were my favourite. They would work, connect seamlessly with my phone. After iOS 14 it does not connect 50% of the times. Many a times it has happened that I have received client calls on the phone and tried to quickly put my airpods on only to realize that it has not connected. I thought this was the issue with my set of airpods, but then I tried another one for a few days - and the same issue persisted. These are the normal airpods by the way, not the Pros.
The first issue has been fixed with iOS 14.7.1. Updated mine yesterday.

Don't really know what's the issue with your Airpods, maybe try unpairing and then pairing them as new again? I'm using Airpods 2 with my iPhone on latest software and they connect in a jiffy everytime.
97_Octane is offline  
Old 30th July 2021, 12:01   #13782
Senior - BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata/NCR
Posts: 1,544
Thanked: 1,437 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Update to 14.7.1 as it has been released a few days back as a hotfix to specifically address the Apple Watch unlock and related issues.

Cheers,
TheDarkKnight
Okay, I was on iOS 14.7.1 but not on Watch OS 7.6.1. Updated my watch now and the problem still persists. In fact, now it is taking at least 3 to 4 iPhone unlocks to unlock my watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
The first issue has been fixed with iOS 14.7.1. Updated mine yesterday.

Don't really know what's the issue with your Airpods, maybe try unpairing and then pairing them as new again? I'm using Airpods 2 with my iPhone on latest software and they connect in a jiffy everytime.
I have now ended up with 2 sets of Airpods 2. I face connectivity issues with both.

P.S: It seems the watch issue they solved with 14.7.1 is for phones with touch ID only and not the ones with Face ID.

Last edited by Pancham : 30th July 2021 at 12:05.
Pancham is offline  
Old 1st August 2021, 21:39   #13783
BHPian
 
eyesice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: TVM / Chennai
Posts: 220
Thanked: 131 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Hello guys,

I recently purchased an iPhone SE and the charging cable that came with it is a USB type C to Lighting connector. However, I suppose most car head units dont support the USB C. Can someone suggest a google cable that I can purchase to connect to my car that supports Carplay?

P. S I saw several Amazon Basics cables online but they all had pathetic reviews.
eyesice is offline  
Old 1st August 2021, 23:09   #13784
AYP
Senior - BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,006
Thanked: 2,531 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Hello guys,

I recently purchased an iPhone SE and the charging cable that came with it is a USB type C to Lighting connector. However, I suppose most car head units dont support the USB C. Can someone suggest a google cable that I can purchase to connect to my car that supports Carplay?

P. S I saw several Amazon Basics cables online but they all had pathetic reviews.
Original apple cable would be the best option-

https://www.apple.com/in/shop/produc...o-usb-cable-1m

On the other hand, Belkin isn't a bad option at all-

https://www.amazon.in/Belkin-Lightni...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

If you wanna save money and yet to go for a decent one, I'd suggest this-

https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B08QSF...13NParams&th=1

I have been using a Zoul usb c to c type cable for the past few months and it has been working fine. In fact, the cable which I bought was the only one costing less than INR 500 and still having a support for upto 60W charging. Others were costing close to a 1000 bucks.

Have also heard good reviews about 'Ausmo' branded cables. Though my experience with an Ausmo car charger was far from satisfactory.

Last edited by AYP : 1st August 2021 at 23:11.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:00   #13785
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 5,612
Thanked: 10,239 Times
Default Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
I saw several Amazon Basics cables online but they all had pathetic reviews.
Strange. I have been using three AB cables (two kept in the house and one in the car) for the last three-four years and they've all held up really well (being used even now).
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks