Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 14:21   #6271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
thanks to your useless activation servers that cannot bear the load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Maybe you just need to wait a bit, since this being a worldwide release, there would be huge loads on the servers.
after downloading and installing iOS 7, the phone booted properly and i could see all my old stuff there. however, i wanted a clean install so i reset the device. i too got the Activation Server not available message. i tried with iTunes, but there i got the message the Cannot connect to iTunes.

tried after an hour or two and viola! activation was successfull; kept the alarm for 6:30am and went back to sleep

ps: the update was done OTA on an iPhone 4.

edit: btw, anybody use the Block feature for calls and SMS yet?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th September 2013 at 14:26.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:27   #6272
BHPian

My upgrade on iPhone 4S went on smoothly, no problems, updated OTA. It takes time to get used to new icons and features. I had to search internet for the method to force close apps :-0

I would like to hear feedback on performance of iPhone 4 and iPad 2 with iOS7.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:28   #6273
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
after downloading and installing iOS 7, the phone booted properly and i could see all my old stuff there. however, i wanted a clean install so i reset the device. i too got the Activation Server not available message. i tried with iTunes, but there i got the message the Cannot connect to iTunes.
Would you mind telling us on how your phone works now? Is there any Turbo Lag while launching applications ?
Does the phone loose its smoothness, with this upgrade? With IOS 6.1 on iphone 4, it definitely feels slower. Is it much worse than IOS 6.1 or a bit better?
How is it running on Iphone 4? Curious to know as iphone 4 had a single core processor.

Old 19th September 2013, 14:28   #6274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
however, i wanted a clean install so i reset the device.[/i]
How would you do a clean install? After clean install, what happens to SMS and other data which is not backed up by itunes or icloud.

I upgraded to iOS 7 on my dad's iPhone 4 and the biggest issue I still face is with facetime not working.

Around mid august facetime stopped working and just keeps giving connection failed. Since then it has never worked. I had high hopes that upgrade to iOS 7 would fix the issue but it's the same.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:30   #6275
BHPian

I upgraded today morning via OTA. iOS upgraded to 7 like a boss. No issues and thankfully till now, no slowdowns.

Quote:
anyone who's not done this - can you check if Personal Hotspot shows up directly under Settings?
Yup, its there directly under settings and also under "Mobile":

The iPhone Thread-photo.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhalaipatti View Post
Jhonny is still the best industrial designer, but not anywhere near a Scott.
Scott Forstall was no designer. He just had preference for skeuomorphic UIs, just like Jobs. iOS 7 is something that will take time to get used too. Off the bat, it doesn't look like an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
If i upgrade to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5,do i lose the applications and their data?
I am at 68% on real racing 3,do not want to lose on the progress due to the upgrade.
Hopefully no loss of data. Just in case, back up stuff that you can.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:41   #6276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Would you mind telling us on how your phone works now? Is there any Turbo Lag while launching applications ?
Does the phone loose its smoothness, with this upgrade? With IOS 6.1 on iphone 4, it definitely feels slower. Is it much worse than IOS 6.1 or a bit better?
How is it running on Iphone 4? Curious to know as iphone 4 had a single core processor.
one word - flawless! in fact, i kinda feel that the phone is a bit faster (dunno if its the placebo effect) absolutely no issues so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
How would you do a clean install? After clean install, what happens to SMS and other data which is not backed up by itunes or icloud.
go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. SMS and other data, if not backed up, will be wiped out. basically its a factory reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yup, its there directly under settings and also under "Mobile":
why does it show Mobile for you and Cellular for me? is this because of the language selected?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 19th September 2013 at 14:43.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:02   #6277
Distinguished - BHPian

FYI: BBM for iphone releasing on 22nd September.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:09   #6278
BHPian

3G in Control Center

I upgraded today to iOS 7 on my iphone 5.

Control center has one important button missing - 3G! Does anyone know if we could add this to control center?
Old 19th September 2013, 16:19   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Just updated to IOS7. Everything went off smoothly. It's too early to say what I like or don't like but still have one question.

I cannot see RADIO on either IOS 7 or on my Macbook pro running ITunes 11.1. On my IPhone 5, I click on the MUSIC app and can only see the music I have downloaded. Same thing happening on ITunes on my mac.

Just realised Radio is only in US :(

The contacts search option is not working on IOS7. Noticed that on two iPhones 5. For example, if i try searching for a contact starting with M it shows all names starting from A. Only when I type the second letter of the name does it shortlist the names correctly. Anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2013 at 18:20. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:50   #6280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The contacts search option is not working on IOS7. Noticed that on two iPhones 5. For example, if i try searching for a contact starting with M it shows all names starting from A. Only when I type the second letter of the name does it shortlist the names correctly. Anyone else noticed this?
There would be some data inside your contact with the letter M. Maybe the company they work for, college they went to, etc. It searches the full contact and not just the name.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:51   #6281
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have the missing radio tab in music app?
Old 19th September 2013, 19:05   #6282
BHPian

This UI sucks. There was a reason the earlier had color combinations. The current UI strains your eye in no time. Advice to team bhp do not change your app.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:28   #6283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Just finished upgrading to ios7 on my iphone 5. Everything went fine. I first had to upgrade to iTunes 11.1 and only then does this upgrade proceed. Its very important that we upgrade the software with the source being apple. There are many other sites from where you can download the software and then upgrade via iTunes (not jail breaking). However, I feel such software could be buggy, causing issues. Also there are separate images for GSM and CDMA phones.

I did not like the home screen. It makes your iphone look like a cheap counterfeit.
You don't need iTunes at all for upgrade as you can upgrade over the air too under settings>general>software. And if your settings are backed up in iCloud, this can also be updated thro wifi. I have not been using iTunes for the last six months or so. And there is a way just to upgrade to iOS 7 with existing iTunes but it is bit technical though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

Yeah, I guess I will have to wait. I've even tried reverting to 6.1.3, and that failed as well. It won't even restore from my backup.

I've given up for now. People at work were starting to stare at me after I repeatedly threw my arms in the air and mouthed curses at Apple.

Really sad, considering this has never happened before. Have had that phone for almost 3 years now, and it has never failed to update.
Generally within a day of any iOS update, IPSW signing window in apple server for the previous IPSW is closed and we can not go back to old SW. Earlier we were able to restore using Cydia and tiny umbrella but after iOS 6 this is too closed. However you need to jailbreak your iPhone though.

Last edited by aah78 : 19th September 2013 at 23:20. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 19th September 2013, 19:43   #6284
Senior - BHPian

The thread has gone berserk

iOS 7 has bugs.
A big thumbs up for feature set and ease of use.
BUT
People this UI is ugly on iPad still good on iPhone. Once you get used to it (my mother hates it) you can see the shortcuts and efficiency.

Ive is good flat design is jarring to existing skeuomorphic design users.

Not every functionality is 100% expect a version by December.

Cheers!
Old 19th September 2013, 20:58   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

There would be some data inside your contact with the letter M. Maybe the company they work for, college they went to, etc. It searches the full contact and not just the name.
Nope. iPhone starts searching for names as you type. Thus when you type letter M, it would list out all names containing M anywhere in the name. And when you had type MA, it will show all names containing consecutive letters MA. Thus it searches within names and not names with starting letters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks