Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2013, 07:34   #6166
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond_dawg View Post
Apple should have just lowered the cost of Iphone 5(cost of manufacture is around 250 something for the Iphone 5) and sold it for 549$ cause the body of the Iphone 5C is just gonna feel like holding a S3, the feel of the Aluminium body is richer IMO
If Journalist across the world are to be believed (very hard these days) the feel of the 'plastic' used in the 5c is way superior than the pathetic feel of the korean counterparts. Knowing Apple, the feel will definitely be different.
Old 11th September 2013, 07:41   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
If Journalist across the world are to be believed (very hard these days) the feel of the 'plastic' used in the 5c is way superior than the pathetic feel of the korean counterparts. Knowing Apple, the feel will definitely be different.
I guess we will know when it comes out though i do feel that plastic will feel plastic at the end of the day plus i am used to my Iphone 5 so thats why i am probably biased on the poly carbonate body.

Last edited by Diamond_dawg : 11th September 2013 at 07:43.
Old 11th September 2013, 08:02   #6168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post

Also hope the pricing for 5C(heap) is actually sane.

Fingers crossed.
The expected price of the 5C in india is 30-35 K, which by no means is cheap.

Moreover my 2 year old 4S looks more classy and stylish than the 5C.
Old 11th September 2013, 08:17   #6169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

As per Engadget the Iphone 5C wasn't planed to be a cheap phone but a colour phone giving users more options like the Ipod Touch

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/10/a...isnt-low-cost/
Old 11th September 2013, 08:42   #6170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1

The 4/4s is prolly one of the best looking phones in the market. The timeless design and premium feel it gives is unmatched by any of its successors till date.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:02   #6171
BHPian

Quote:

Apple should have just lowered the cost of Iphone 5(cost of manufacture is around 250 something for the Iphone 5) and sold it for 549$ cause the body of the Iphone 5C is just gonna feel like holding a S3, the feel of the Aluminium body is richer IMO
The reason why apple will not lower its price is that it will lead to eating up the market space of new 5c as both are almost similar except dimension, weight, and body material. As 5 has outlived it's life, and apple can retain its market share only by introducing new phone, shelving 5 was a good decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I guess the unlocked prices for the Iphone 5C will be around the 36K region or higher in India for the base 16GB version. Not all that "cheap" I would say. In a way am happy that it is still out of bounds for most of the average mobile phone user in India. That way, the exclusivity unique to Apple should remain quite intact.
As I had already mentioned in this thread, apple will never be cheap (unless the market forces it) as it is perceived both by its customers and apple themselves to be a premium product. Good news is that we will get iWork suite (pages, numbers, keynote, photo, and movie) free of cost on introduction iOS 7!

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th September 2013 at 10:37.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:06   #6172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

True; seems like iPhone will still remain exclusive and not for the "masses", as was expected with 5C; C=Colors and it wasn't C=Cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
+1

The 4/4s is prolly one of the best looking phones in the market. The timeless design and premium feel it gives is unmatched by any of its successors till date.
Have a 4S and it was good to know that it will also receive the new iOS update.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:13   #6173
Senior - BHPian

The iPhone Thread-image1473265124.jpg
Courtesy: 9GAG.COM

They say the fingerprint information is not stored on Apple severs or on iCloud, but rather on the chip itself. However, isn't this something that can be exploited if someone wanted to?

How many of us knew that Ad tracking was enabled by default and the option to switch it off was hidden in some place where people wouldn't normally look? How many knew that Apple was tracking its customer base - not spying, but for demographic purposes?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Apple products, but this is something to ponder about.
Old 11th September 2013, 11:16   #6174
BHPian

The key take-away for me is the searing realization that Apple still won't compete for price-conscious customers. This seems a risky strategy.

The 5S is priced at $650, same as the 5 was last year, and the 4S the year before. The new 5C is priced the same as the 5 it replaced would have held this year - $550. With nothing to show except color, the older 5 had to be replaced. This is the Apple model - sell old iphones each launch, by knocking off $100 on older iterations.

Now consider this, the Unlocked iPhone5 costs $650 for 16GB. This costs $207 to manufacture (courtesy iSuppli ), which gives a solid 68% profit margin. With the use of plastic, it is probable that the margins Apple makes on iPhone5C have actually GONE UP. So why did Apple go to all this trouble to release a new iPhone5C, when they could have carried on selling the 5? The 'fresh color' thing is an old Apple sleight of hand. Remember the 'fresh' iPod color refreshes, before they disappeared.

There are now dozens of Android & Windows phones available around the $300-400 price bracket. The Nexus 4 is under $200. So what were they thinking? Maybe today's China show will hold some clues. But I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11th September 2013, 12:03   #6175
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
With Samsung going full blast ahead, it would be suicidal if Apple does not pull out a rabbit from their hat.

Also hope the pricing for 5C(heap) is actually sane.

Fingers crossed.
A Squirrel came out in place of a rabbit

Quote:
I agree with you with respect to iphone price. But i am sure that it aint going to happen.

Cook explicitly told that the feel of Iphone 5c will not be same as other plastic phones. i hope its not wise to make statements on iphone 5c feel as of now.

No ipads were launched... dissapointed.

Old 11th September 2013, 12:23   #6176
BHPian

iWork and iLife will be free only with newly purchased devices not for existing devices and users - very bad

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10/...-to-employees/
Old 11th September 2013, 12:41   #6177
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel Apple is loosing its capability to innovate. Offering phones in different colors or "finger print" capability or faster processors would not appeal to everyone. I doubt whether anyone would buy an iPhone to play games though that would be a secondary function. The features they're offering are not something new or "out of the box"!

They would have been better off with features like slots for micro-SD cards, slightly larger lenses for the camera, or even make the system more open by allowing users to locally download and store files rather than locking them to apple.

I also feel they've purposely delayed the launch of ios 7 so that in the interim people may impulsively purchase the iPhone 5S/C! Nice trick!

Going by this trend, Microsoft & Android platforms are likely to see increased sales - my personal feeling.
Old 11th September 2013, 15:30   #6178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
That was their quote.... So am still waiting for iRepair to call on battery stock, as the paper issue means I need to open it anyways. Hope this clarifies.
Thanks mate. While waiting for iRepair to restock the battery, I came across two more shops specializing in Apple product repairs - http://www.theapplerepairs.in/ and http://itweak.in

theapplerepairs.in is also based at Koramangala. The price is same (got a quote for 2500 INR) but warranty is only 3 months while iRepair offers 6 months warranty.
iTweak is at HSR layout, and theprice is lesser (got a quote for 1850 INR) with six months warrenty.
Both places have battery in stock.
Before I try them, just wanted to check if anyone here have availed their services?

--Anoop
Old 11th September 2013, 15:41   #6179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

5c wont be less than 45k and 5s around 50k.

I am wary of this finger print scanning. Considering the way snowden has proved companies like Apple and facebook share user information with NASA, am sure all the fingerprints details will be shared as well.
Old 11th September 2013, 17:17   #6180
Senior - BHPian

You meant NSA i hope

Most Viewed