Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2013, 07:41   #6106
BHPian

Apple to announce iPhone 5S and probably iPhone 5C on Sept 10 - http://m.imore.com/yes-its-true-ipho...edium=facebook
Old 17th August 2013, 05:17   #6107
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Any guess on what the highlighted text means?

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1213
Size:  90.2 KB
Old 19th August 2013, 01:00   #6108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Any guess on what the highlighted text means?
Server may have been under maintenance. Try deleting again.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:11   #6109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
I've i-pod classic 160 GB (2008) and in 2010 got the battery changed (not from Apple authorized center) when it stopped charging thou i heard of the battery lasting least for 5 years

Anyhow; it went well for a month but after that battery did not charge to which i took it to the shop last repaired but then after the battery drowned it refused to charge and surprisingly after keeping it for two months when i plugged it again the battery charged fully but again same thing happened (it did not charge after that)
I have an iPhone 1st generation running on its original battery so it's been running for 5 years since it was purchased in 2008. It has seen lots of battery cycles (gets discharged every month) but still just lasts and lasts. I bought a spare battery along with the phone, assuming that the battery wouldn't last over a year like my iMate Jasjar (HTC Universal) but the battery in the phone will probably outlast the rest of the phone.

The problem you are experiencing with your battery is similar to what I've been getting with my Lenovo laptop battery, which ran quite well from 2006 to July this year. The battery indicates that it is at 3% but it doesn't charge though one day it would miraculously charge and last for a couple of cycles before refusing to charge again. It is time to toss out the battery for a new one and there's little that can be done with it.

Now, if only I can get car batteries to last this long.
Old 19th August 2013, 12:33   #6110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I have an iPhone 1st generation running on its original battery so it's been running for 5 years since it was purchased in 2008. It has seen lots of battery cycles (gets discharged every month) but still just lasts and lasts. I bought a spare battery along with the phone, assuming that the battery wouldn't last over a year like my iMate Jasjar (HTC Universal) but the battery in the phone will probably outlast the rest of the phone.

The problem you are experiencing with your battery is similar to what I've been getting with my Lenovo laptop battery, which ran quite well from 2006 to July this year. The battery indicates that it is at 3% but it doesn't charge though one day it would miraculously charge and last for a couple of cycles before refusing to charge again. It is time to toss out the battery for a new one and there's little that can be done with it.

Now, if only I can get car batteries to last this long.

Thanks for the info

Have been in communication with:
http://www.irepair.in/

They have also told to replace the battery that would cost around 4k with 6 months warranty

Should i go for the same ?

Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 13:03   #6111
BHPian

Quote:
They have also told to replace the battery that would cost around 4k with 6 months warranty. Should i go for the same?
The battery is usually cheaper, but they are charging for opening up the device, changing the battery for you, and giving a 6-month assurance that they'll fix any problems with the battery.

I usually don't invest much in the repair of electronics after they're 3 years old. Think about it - for roughly triple the cost of the battery replacement, you can get a new gadget and a complete 1-year warranty from the manufacturer/authorized vendor. I try to follow the same logic for my laptops, but I tend to get attached to them and spend on battery/adapter replacements.
Old 26th August 2013, 12:06   #6112
BHPian

I am looking for best free app which could be used for walk/jog without any add-on device like Nike+. Can anyone of you please suggest me the same.
Old 26th August 2013, 12:09   #6113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
I am looking for best free app which could be used for walk/jog without any add-on device like Nike+. Can anyone of you please suggest me the same.
Go for RunKeeper. This takes care of multiple activities; walking, running, cycling, etc.
Old 26th August 2013, 12:28   #6114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The battery is usually cheaper, but they are charging for opening up the device, changing the battery for you, and giving a 6-month assurance that they'll fix any problems with the battery.

I usually don't invest much in the repair of electronics after they're 3 years old. Think about it - for roughly triple the cost of the battery replacement, you can get a new gadget and a complete 1-year warranty from the manufacturer/authorized vendor. I try to follow the same logic for my laptops, but I tend to get attached to them and spend on battery/adapter replacements.

Thanks for the info

How much would the battery cost?
Old 28th August 2013, 06:40   #6115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Speculation is rife over the possible launch of a new 'budget' iPhone, there are several leaked photos of the same. I would suggest you wait for a couple of months before taking the plunge. Although the iPhone4 will support the upcoming iOS 7, it would be a little too old with a single core processor.

I remember how laggy the iPhone 3G was with iOS4, and boy was it terrible.
Never in the history of any of apple i'Tems' have we come across the concept of budget releases. Since Apple is so conscious of its image and of its brand conscious customers, it has its own floor price for all its products. When the whole world waited with bated breadth for announcement of iPad mini, we Indians thought that this would be budget priced but the real story was some thing different. What we have in mind when we say budget price is India budget but Apple has US budget in its mind. Hence, don't expect this 5c to be priced really low to entice you to go in for this. Budget iPhone is just like saying budget BMW or to put it simply "a mirage". However, it would serve better if you go in for a second hand iPhone 4S instead (considering your budget constraint) as apple may stop SW support for iPhone after iOS 7.
Old 28th August 2013, 08:41   #6116
BHPian

If ever Apple releases the much rumored iPhone 5C, that would the tipping point for Apple. It's decline would eventually be written in stone. Steve Jobs famously remarked in AllThingsD that he never wanted Apple to be either the largest company or the most profitable company in the world. All he wanted to do was to make magical products that revolutionized lifestyles.

Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs. We know he delegates a lot of decision making, unlike Steve who was a notorious micro manager. But then that's what differentiated Apple from the rest of the crap.

The apple fanboy in me is yet to come to terms with the new Apple way of thinking. It's not 'Think Different' anymore.
Old 28th August 2013, 18:54   #6117
BHPian

Quote:
How much would the battery cost?
I'm not sure about the iPod battery, but I bought an iPhone battery manufactured and sold by a third party for about Rs.1,060/- (with today's Rupee exchange rate). I never had to use it, but I bought it at the time with the thought that the next model would be out in 6 months and there would be no availability of spares for the old model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Never in the history of any of apple i'Tems' have we come across the concept of budget releases.
If you look at their MacBooks, Apple's cheapest MacBook Air seems reasonably priced for an ultrabook-category laptop. Then, upon comparison with other laptops, you realise that they're giving you a 11" screen instead of a 13" screen and that too lacks a touch interface. The MacBook Pro models are priced higher than what would seem reasonable.

The original iMac was a good value, but the "collect all five" marketing didn't really get anyone to buy more than one :-D
Old 29th August 2013, 14:04   #6118
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the info

Have been in communication with:
http://www.irepair.in/

They have also told to replace the battery that would cost around 4k with 6 months warranty

Should i go for the same ?

Thanks
Just got my 3GS battery changed for about 1500. I was also given a quote of 4K when I logged a ticket. But when I walked into the store, the guy there said it was 1750 and 750 for opening the device. If possible walk in or call and ask for Vikram.
Cheers...Juggy
Old 29th August 2013, 18:15   #6119
BHPian

Guys need help on this one, which is a better place to pick the iPhone Reliance Digital stores or Apple stores and any reviews of the store will be highly appreciated.

What my concern is whether Reliance is selling these products in partnership with Apple or they are just another vendor of the product and how does the warranty gets taken care of.
Old 29th August 2013, 18:56   #6120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
... which is a better place to pick the iPhone Reliance Digital stores or Apple stores ...
Buy wherever the price is less. If not, buy wherever they are giving any gift / freebies!

If neither, buy from Apple Store - better experience. Service is directly from Apple anyhow.

Most Viewed