Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2013, 20:30   #6211
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
My sister wants to buy the I phone. She won't buy the 5c. I am getting the 5 in India for 42k. But read on the net that in USA 5s is available for 650 dollars ie approx 41k. These are unlocked phones available with AT & T or something like that. So what makes more sense? Will these unlocked phones work fine in India? And is it sensible or should rather just opt for the 5?
Waiting for the iPhone 5S to launch in India would make the most sense although you might have to wait a couple months and most probably it would be around the 50k price range.Unlocked iPhone 5S would work fine in India but many Apple authorised service centers in India refuse to service it.
You could go for the 5 if you are fine with buying "last year's model" and don't care much for the new features.The price of the 5 may also drop after the launch of the 5S.
Old 14th September 2013, 20:37   #6212
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My sister wants to buy the I phone. She won't buy the 5c. I am getting the 5 in India for 42k. But read on the net that in USA 5s is available for 650 dollars ie approx 41k. So what makes more sense? Will these unlocked phones work fine in India?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post

Don't' worry these unlocked phones will work anywhere in the world. And it is better to go in for 5s as it is advanced compared to 5. And it will have at least one more year of iOS support compared to 5.
I have to disagree here. Firstly, USD 649 is the price before local sales taxes, works if you buy in a zero tax state like Delaware, but not if you buy in NYC where 10% tax takes the price to USD 715 or so. That becomes almost Rs. 48,000 depending on what exchange rate you assume. More importantly, iPhones don't come with worldwide warranties. As a result, if your iPhone conks out of the screen breaks, you will have to send it back to the USA for repairs.

If you work assuming the iPhone 5C is equal to the iPhone 5, and consider its NYC price of USD 605, it works out to Rs. 40,500. I personally think the 5 is better than the 5C, and so would go for one at 42 k vs a 5C at 40.5k - but even if you think the two are equal, Rs. 1.5 k is a worthwhile insurance premium. Of course if you are going to a zero tax state, the premium becomes larger.

You could of course wait for the 5S but the risk is that prices end up being much higher - the reason the iPhone 5 was selling for less in India than in NYC till last week is because prices were set when the USD was INR 55, and not moved up when the Rupee collapsed.
Old 14th September 2013, 22:10   #6213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

Waiting for the iPhone 5S to launch in India would make the most sense although you might have to wait a couple months and most probably it would be around the 50k price range.Unlocked iPhone 5S would work fine in India but many Apple authorised service centers in India refuse to service it.
You could go for the 5 if you are fine with buying "last year's model" and don't care much for the new features.The price of the 5 may also drop after the launch of the 5S.
Problem is that mentally I am not prepared to pay 50k. Even 40k is really a lot of money but have some how finally given in to her demand. 5s in India means 50k or more for sure. So its a choice between 5s from either usa or Singapore or a new 5 from here. And I heard 5 is going to be discontinued. So is it worth waiting for it in hope of reduced price?
Old 14th September 2013, 22:34   #6214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Whats this 64 bit OS hype about?
To me, atleast for now, this has no advantage from user perspective. It might be useful when the memory demand increases later.
Its important, OpenGL ES is now supported.. which means slicker faster smoother video games.. once they get the A7 chip on iPad it will be closer to being an awesome gaming platform...
Old 14th September 2013, 23:32   #6215
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

Its important, OpenGL ES is now supported.. which means slicker faster smoother video games.. once they get the A7 chip on iPad it will be closer to being an awesome gaming platform...
OpenGL ES was alwways supported now v3.0 of it is supported, but games need to be updated to take its advantage
Old 15th September 2013, 10:46   #6216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Problem is that mentally I am not prepared to pay 50k. Even 40k is really a lot of money but have some how finally given in to her demand. 5s in India means 50k or more for sure. So its a choice between 5s from either usa or Singapore or a new 5 from here. And I heard 5 is going to be discontinued. So is it worth waiting for it in hope of reduced price?
Here in Singapore, iPhone 5 is already removed from the Apple website. So its now 8GB 4S along with 5C (16 & 32GB) and 5S (16, 32 & 64GB). So if you can now get an iPhone 5 at a discounted rate in India, that maybe a better option. And you'll have the 1 year standard warranty as well.

Here iPhone is always sold unlocked, the 5S 16GB costs around INR 49300 (SGD 988), and the 32GB will cost around INR 57300 (SGD 1148).
Old 16th September 2013, 12:33   #6217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I have to disagree here. Firstly, USD 649 is the price before local sales taxes, works if you buy in a zero tax state like Delaware, but not if you buy in NYC where 10% tax takes the price to USD 715 or so. That becomes almost Rs. 48,000 depending on what exchange rate you assume. More importantly, iPhones don't come with worldwide warranties. As a result, if your iPhone conks out of the screen breaks, you will have to send it back to the USA for repairs.

If you work assuming the iPhone 5C is equal to the iPhone 5, and consider its NYC price of USD 605, it works out to Rs. 40,500. I personally think the 5 is better than the 5C, and so would go for one at 42 k vs a 5C at 40.5k - but even if you think the two are equal, Rs. 1.5 k is a worthwhile insurance premium. Of course if you are going to a zero tax state, the premium becomes larger.

You could of course wait for the 5S but the risk is that prices end up being much higher - the reason the iPhone 5 was selling for less in India than in NYC till last week is because prices were set when the USD was INR 55, and not moved up when the Rupee collapsed.
Quote:
true. I believe 5c itself is priced at USD549 hence a factory unlocked 5s at USD649 is unlikely. I believe Apple haven't released factory unlocked 5s prices or availability in US. Even when it comes it will be around USD 750.

5c is a bit superior to 5 in that though the SOC is A6, it comes in a all new chassis and expected to have better network reception and most importantly a little better battery life.

5s is class apart and hence its unbelievable to assume that it will be available at 649USD when 5c is 549.

5 would go off-market in India as and when 5c 5s is launched in India. that could be anytime from now and December. when that happens, even though Apple will not announce a discount, it will be available through smaller shops at a bargain. You wont find them then in official apple re-sellers like croma or reliance digital at that time. it would simply vanish from their displays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
OpenGL ES was alwways supported now v3.0 of it is supported, but games need to be updated to take its advantage
Just like current iPad with A6 SOC with boosted performance, new one will have an A7 which will perform better than A7 on 5s. Reason for boost is mostly to take on account of more pixels and ES v3 on the upcoming iPad will make it a real gaming device. Once the Logitech game controller also comes up, the gaming experience will be far more better like the old school Ps3 n Xbox.

It however wont be able to match the next generation of Ps4 and Xboxs

I am sure all gaming software companies would have already readied their boosted updates to match the new hardware goodies

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th September 2013 at 14:18.
Old 16th September 2013, 18:43   #6218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawkeron View Post
true. I believe 5c itself is priced at USD549 hence a factory unlocked 5s at USD649 is unlikely. I believe Apple haven't released factory unlocked 5s prices or availability in US. Even when it comes it will be around USD 750.

5s is class apart and hence its unbelievable to assume that it will be available at 649USD when 5c is 549.
The Iphone 5S is available at $649 for the 16GB unlocked! Visit apple.com and view the Iphone 5S pricing.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-iphone.png  

Old 16th September 2013, 22:06   #6219
BHPian

I don't remember when was i so much confused the way i am right now. I have always been an android user (currently having Note 2). The note 3 did not appeal me at all and i am more than willing to move to the Ios 7 now, moreover i love the aesthetic appeal of the apple products esp. the iphone 5.

My questions are:

1.Should i buy an iphone 5 or 5S? ( No 5c please).
2.When tentatively would the i5s be available in India? ( with indian warranty & bill)
3.Is it wise to go for i5 instead ? (though its going to be discontinued soon.)
4.Will the i5 see a price drop soon?

One thing is for sure that if apple comes up with a iphone 6 with a bigger screen next year ( as rumors suggest) i am surely going to upgrade to that so accordingly what should be bought. Pls. all throw some light.
Old 17th September 2013, 10:58   #6220
BHPian

Would suggest you look at the Iphone 5 as its your first foray into iOS. Is a great phone and I have been using iOS 7 along with it for the last month or so and its very snappy. The Iphone 5S would cost upwards of 50k in India if the indications are correct.
Old 17th September 2013, 12:56   #6221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I have been using iOS 7 along with it
How do the apps work with IOS 7? Many of my apps are today showing updates for compatibility with IOS 7. I plan to update my phone with IOS 7 on Thursday.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:15   #6222
BHPian

All apps are working fin now, which was not the case a month ago. A month ago I had some apps closing on me, but now its fine.
Old 17th September 2013, 13:25   #6223
Team-BHP Support

Most of the apps are stable, Tata Sky is the only app right now that is crashing on my iPhone 5 but i guess its an update long time pending from the vendor. So you can safely go for iOS upgrade.
Old 17th September 2013, 18:09   #6224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
How do the apps work with IOS 7? Many of my apps are today showing updates for compatibility with IOS 7. I plan to update my phone with IOS 7 on Thursday.
I have been trying iOS Gold Master and it is stable. Only issue is that due to RAM and other hardware restrictions, animation effect is bit slow. On the whole, a new experience. Apple has heavily borrowed features from Jailbreak community.
Old 17th September 2013, 22:12   #6225
Senior - BHPian

Those planning to upgrade to ios7 immediately might want to read THIS

The 5S is expected to start at Rs 55000 here - keep those kidneys in working condition

Most Viewed