Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2013, 09:34   #6331
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
This was waiting to happen, no?
I wouldn't read too much into that. it is just like taking someone's finger and using it to unlock the phone -- the thing we've seen in umpteen movies. They haven't actually cracked the code on the phone. So a remote exploit is still not possible.

If one has access to taking hi-res photos of someone's fingerprints and replicating them in a controlled environment, they can do anything -- why limit to simply photographing the fingerprint?
Old 25th September 2013, 09:37   #6332
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
As per Apple's press release, over 9 million iPhones were sold during first weekend. Highest ever for any iPhone model so far.
The number of countries which had the first day release this time was more than last time. The new iPhone had a first day release in China & Puerto Rico which were missing from the list last time. China contributed 3 million of the 9 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
If one has access to taking hi-res photos of someone's fingerprints and replicating them in a controlled environment, they can do anything -- why limit to simply photographing the fingerprint?
Which is one of the reasons why fingerprints are a very bad method of authentication for most use cases. It's silly to use biometrics for this purpose.

Last edited by carboy : 25th September 2013 at 09:42.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:02   #6333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Which is one of the reasons why fingerprints are a very bad method of authentication for most use cases. It's silly to use biometrics for this purpose.
While it is less than ideal for many cases, it is certainly better than leaving your phone unlocked, without a password. What Apple is trying to do is improve security, not to nail it down -- coz we can never nail down security.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:03   #6334
BHPian

Quote:

The number of countries which had the first day release this time was more than last time. The new iPhone had a first day release in China & Puerto Rico which were missing from the list last time. China contributed 3 million of the 9 million.

So even deducting China's sales numbers, it's 6 millions phones and Puerto Rico didn't sell million phones for sure. Moreover, considering that it was a 5S and not a complete new launch like 3GS to 4, 9 million sales is really good. Additionally, none of the market analysts (who usually have been close in their predictions) predicted no more than 7.75 million. And don't forget that it's much more competitive market with better products currently than last year.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 25th September 2013 at 10:04.
Old 25th September 2013, 10:20   #6335
BANNED

Quote:
So even deducting China's sales numbers, it's 6 millions phones and Puerto Rico didn't sell million phones for sure. Moreover, considering that it was a 5S and not a complete new launch like 3GS to 4, 9 million sales is really good. Additionally, none of the market analysts (who usually have been close in their predictions) predicted no more than 7.75 million. And don't forget that it's much more competitive market with better products currently than last year.
The earlier iPhone sold at $199 with a contract during the release weekend. This time, 2 phones were introduced & one of them sold at half the price - i.e. 99$. In the US, almost everyone buys a phone with a contract - having a 2nd iPhone available at half the price would most certainly increase the sales.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:20   #6336
BHPian

Quote:

The earlier iPhone sold at $199 with a contract during the release weekend. This time, 2 phones were introduced & one of them sold at half the price - i.e. 99$. In the US, almost everyone buys a phone with a contract - having a 2nd iPhone available at half the price would most certainly increase the sales.
I know that very well. However, majority of the phones sold are 5S and not 5C. Apple has not released the spilt yet and it never will like iPad and iPad mini. Even if you were to order the new phone right now here in USA, 5Cs are available in stock with any color where as 5S is sold out till October.

Moreover, Apple announced yesterday that they adjusted their earnings projections to higher than previously projected as per current sales of the 5S. This shows that even Apple didn't project to sell these many and off course, most optimistic expected count was also 7.75 million from market experts.
Old 25th September 2013, 11:31   #6337
BANNED

Quote:
I know that very well. However, majority of the phones sold are 5S and not 5C. Apple has not released the spilt yet and it never will like iPad and iPad mini.
Assuming, just 25% of phones sold are 5C, that would mean 4.5 million 5S's sold excluding China. If you exclude Puerto Rico, it will be even lesser.
Quote:
Even if you were to order the new phone right now here in USA, 5Cs are available in stock with any color where as 5S is sold out till October.
That means nothing unless you know how much quantities of each were manufactured.
Quote:

Moreover, Apple announced yesterday that they adjusted their earnings projections to higher than previously projected as per current sales of the 5S. This shows that even Apple didn't project to sell these many and off course, most optimistic expected count was also 7.75 million from market experts.
All companies project less to so that they can later be surprised about the sales. Most of them also manufacture less than their production capacity just to say "sold out".
Old 25th September 2013, 16:50   #6338
BHPian

Quote:

Assuming, just 25% of phones sold are 5C, that would mean 4.5 million 5S's sold excluding China. If you exclude Puerto Rico, it will be even lesser..
First of all, to my knowledge, Apple has not released individual country sales yet. So don't know your stated 3 millions is true or not. Apple sold 2 millions iPhone 5 during opening weekend last year. So if 3 millions as per you is true, again shows strong demand than iPhone 5.
Coming to 5C, 25% is an assumption by you. But if you look at industry expert's analysis, the expected ratio in USA is 80% to 20 % for iPhone 5s and 5c respectively. And it goes up to 91% to 9% in China.
Quote:
That means nothing unless you know how much quantities of each were manufactured.
At least I know that iPhone 5S sold much more than 5C. If you read around on the web, it's easier to get that demand of 5S is much higher than 5C. I was at apple store last evening and the store employee himself told me that iPhone 5S is selling stronger than expected and 5C is not moving fast.

Quote:
All companies project less to so that they can later be surprised about the sales. Most of them also manufacture less than their production capacity just to say "sold out"
Agreed that all companies do that. However, if you see iPhone's opening weekend sales history, you will notice that company and industry experts were pretty much spot on as far as sales were concerned. However, based on apple's last few quarters, no body thought that they will be able to sell these many phones considering that it was from 5 to 5S and not a completely new phone like from 4S to 5 or 3GS to 4.

What all I am saying is, looking at the fact that competition is much stronger than before (Galaxy S IV and Android combination) and since it was a launch of 5S and not all together a new phone, the expectation was lower than 9 millions. Samsung Galaxy S IV took a month to reach 10 million mark when it was launched. Considering that, iPhone 5S and 5C sales of 9 millions in 3 days is really exceptional.
Have to agree that It's a cult and that too a very strange cult.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 25th September 2013 at 17:02.
Old 25th September 2013, 18:49   #6339
Team-BHP Support

What also works in Apple's favor now is their closed ecosystem.

An android user can switch between 3-4 major manufacturers without investing in anything except the phone itself.

An iPhone user will have spent considerable money putting together his own setup, and since almost all accessories are proprietary, a change to another manufacturer would mean investing in everything that goes with the phone. For a sophisticated user, that could mean a huge spend on compatible devices & accessories, not to mention the reluctance to step out of a comfort zone which we all suffer from to some extent, and the hassle of integrating a non-apple device into his setup which may or may not work seamlessly (compared to an iDevice).

I personally know at least two people who want to move away from iPhones, but think the hassle and sunk investment in the Apple ecosystem isn't worth it. Sounds like a mafia tag-line "Once in, impossible to get out", but true for a lot of users.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th September 2013 at 18:50.
Old 25th September 2013, 19:21   #6340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
In fact, I feel my battery life has increased post the upgrade. I have turned off background refresh except for couple of apps. And I keep my data off always unless I need to check something during travel. This used to be a major batter drainer during my early days. I have wifi on always though. Check if you have updated all the apps to start with.
I did the upgrade Wednesday evening, and Thursday I noticed my battery life had significantly decreased. I have iOS7 with the same set of applications I had with iOS6.
Now this is confirmed with the tests conducted as part of Ars Technica’s hugely comprehensive review of the entire operating system, and what they show for the iPhone 5 is problematic. See the change in quantum for iPhone 5 alone
Hope there will be a update soon.

Original image courtesy of Ars Technica
Attached Images

Old 25th September 2013, 21:19   #6341
BHPian

My iPhone4 is telling me to get the iPhone 5s asap.. it fell & the screen broke.. the glass.. not the LCD.

As I bought it in France, I cannot go to an Apple Store in Mumbai; can anyone recommend a place where I can get the glass replaced?
Old 26th September 2013, 23:11   #6342
BHPian

iOS 7.02 is out

The iPhone Thread-image2232666276.jpg
Old 27th September 2013, 17:56   #6343
BHPian

Parallax effect has problems with 7.0.2, does not show the effect a lot of times on iPhone 4S. iOS 7 was showing the effect without any problem.
Old 27th September 2013, 18:01   #6344
BANNED

Apparently, the Parallax Effect gave a lot of people motion sickness and vertigo
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

So may be it's better if it doesn't work well :-)
Old 28th September 2013, 00:57   #6345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post

I wouldn't read too much into that. it is just like taking someone's finger and using it to unlock the phone -- the thing we've seen in umpteen movies. They haven't actually cracked the code on the phone. So a remote exploit is still not possible.

If one actually goes through the pain of lifting a fingerprint to unlock a phone, that phone better have something really valuable or he is better off targeting more than just a phone.

Most Viewed