Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2012, 13:58   #5581
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Do we even have 4G in India? Or are there any plans for 4G in India? From what I have heard even the 3G experience is quite patchy.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:12   #5582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
In any case, the 4G won't work in India no matter where you buy the iPhone 5 from.
And why would you say that? Airtel has supposedly launched 4 G services in a few cities in India and they do sell the iPhone 5. I see no reason why the iPhone sold in India through airtel will not work on the airtel 4G network.

Of course I could be wrong. If there is a 'technical' reason why this would not work do enlighten us.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:21   #5583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc
Do we even have 4G in India? Or are there any plans for 4G in India? From what I have heard even the 3G experience is quite patchy.
We do have 4G in Pune,Bangalore and Kolkata and is launching soon in Delhi & Mumbai but the bands that 4G works in India on, is not supported by the iPhone as well as most other 4G phones. Basically we have the 'third world' band. The spectrum on which 4G would work for these phones is atleast 3 years away of being auctioned by the government.

Yeah the 3G is not as great but is working out.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:31   #5584
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed answer. Even in the US there seems to be a good amount of confusion over 4G - what with carriers having their different operating bands and the '4G' and 'near 4G' vocabulary.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:48   #5585
BHPian

Airtel has launched 4G; not sure if they are going to support 4G on the iPhone 5

http://www.airtel.in/4g-lte/tariffs.html#4G

The rates seem fine for a new technology like 4G.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:57   #5586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Airtel has launched 4G; not sure if they are going to support 4G on the iPhone 5

http://www.airtel.in/4g-lte/tariffs.html#4G

The rates seem fine for a new technology like 4G.
that is not for phones. that is a USB data card. AFAIK, LTE/4G is not availble in India as of now for phones.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:14   #5587
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

It's been discussed a few pages back. We are not on the same band due to defense and other issues with respect to airwaves. Our 4G is not third world or anything of that sorts. It's about speed and we will get the same 100mbps on 4G. Pune/Bangalore and Kolkata have 4G of what I know from Airtel. LTE is just an evolution of 3G and thus a new radio transmitter and receiver that is different than European, Japanese and US band. HK's one mobile carrier and Chinese too have a similar band similar to India.

2300 MHz than 2100 MHz that's the difference. Thus beware of what you buy, if you don't know and buy is different than if you know and still buy a handset that will be incompatible in future.

Cheers!
Old 5th December 2012, 15:20   #5588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
that is not for phones. that is a USB data card. AFAIK, LTE/4G is not availble in India as of now for phones.
What you are talking of is a distinct data plan applicable along with voice plan on a phone. The service is available, provided you can get Airtel to give you the correct plan on your phone.
Old 5th December 2012, 15:33   #5589
Senior - BHPian

For More details on LTE.
iPhone LTE Frequency Bands.
http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/
Model A1429 might be working in India, but there's no Indian Specific Model.
As of now, Airtel LTE is using Band 40 2300 MHz
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks
Old 5th December 2012, 17:49   #5590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
Hi,
Our 4G is not third world or anything of that sorts.
By third world i don't mean the capabilities of the network but its the rarest frequency that is being used in India for 4G.

There are hardly 4-5 countries worldwide providing 4G on the only 2300 MHz frequency as India.

Hong Kong does have the same 2300 MHz band just as india but also has the 1800 MHz one on which the iPhone 5 works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik
Model A1429 might be working in India, but there's no Indian Specific Model.
No A1429 does not support the 2300 MHz frequency and cannot work in India.Neither does any other.

Last edited by k2max6 : 5th December 2012 at 17:52.
Old 5th December 2012, 19:08   #5591
Team-BHP Support

Indian 4G wont work with iPhones, till Govt changes its policies. I had done a fair amount of research. Problem is the frequency range which for whatever reason is quite different.
Old 5th December 2012, 20:57   #5592
BHPian

I came across an ad on the net today. For people looking to buy iphone5 - the following site is seeling it for 40,800 with Apple India warranty:

http://www.timtara.com/products/Appl...FQSg4Aod4GoAVQ#

Basically there is some sort of a coupon one has to apply to get this price. The coupon is on the site itself.

Mods: I have no links whatsoever with the above site and am posting this as it seems a good offer to benefit fellow members. Please delete this post if it violates any forum rules.
Old 5th December 2012, 22:02   #5593
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc
I came across an ad on the net today. For people looking to buy iphone5 - the following site is seeling it for 40,800 with Apple India warranty:

http://www.timtara.com/products/Appl...FQSg4Aod4GoAVQ#

Basically there is some sort of a coupon one has to apply to get this price. The coupon is on the site itself.

Mods: I have no links whatsoever with the above site and am posting this as it seems a good offer to benefit fellow members. Please delete this post if it violates any forum rules.
Dont bother to buy anything from this website. It is a well known Fraud. Worst online shopping site in India.
Old 10th December 2012, 13:13   #5594
Senior - BHPian

Grey Smudge behind the iPhone 4 Screen

Hi All,

I have done a blunder by pouring some 10 drops of Nail Enamel remover to clean the Home Button.
I had done it before too and made the Home Button worked better.
But, This time i have used some more drops resulted Grey Patches in the entire Screen and some of them has already disappeared and other Grey Color Area turned light. But still some Smudges has persisted in the screen.
I have tried drying it by Hair Dryer and on reading some forum , i kept it in the Fridge to clear the condensation. Nothing helps till now.
But it clears itself day by day automatically.
The iPhone 4 is out of warranty and I have been using it since last 2 years.
I am unable to get some solution for this on googling. if anyone has had any idea to clear the Grey Smudges, Please let me know.
Old 10th December 2012, 13:38   #5595
BHPian

Australian Police Warn Against Apple Maps, Citing “Potentially Life Threatening” Misdirection - http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/09/aus...-misdirection/

Quote:
Police in Victoria have urged motorists to avoid the use of Apple Maps, warning that faulty directions on the much-criticized app has left motorists stranded in the Australian outback for up to 24 hours without food or water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks