Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2012, 12:57   #5641
BHPian

I bought the iPhone 4, 18 months ago. Now i am confused if i should upgrade to iPhone 5 or wait for the next generation till Oct 2013.
Iphone 4 is doing the job perfectly and is in perfect condition, does it make sense to go for the 5 for the provided improvements? Is it worth?

One more question
Has any one moved from iOS to Android? I was considering Note2 as well but i 'love' iOS and don't want to regret buying it.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:26   #5642
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Yes, buyer has to do it. In my case it is my brother in law. Search around Internet, there are people who will do it for as little as Rs. 150.
Can you share more on this ? I really need to unlock the iPhone 4.

How do people unlock it at as low as 150 bucks ?

This is like something which has been pending for me for a long time now.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:34   #5643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Can you share more on this ? I really need to unlock the iPhone 4.

How do people unlock it at as low as 150 bucks ?

This is like something which has been pending for me for a long time now.
Contact maulikmorzaria@gmail.com (iPhone Solutions on facebook). He was talking of AT&T phone. I'd seen some unlock offers on eBay as well, search for it.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:38   #5644
BHPian

Quote:

Contact maulikmorzaria@gmail.com (iPhone Solutions on facebook). He was talking of AT&T phone. I'd seen some unlock offers on eBay as well, search for it.
INR 150? Doesn't sound like factory unlock to me, is this a software unlock (jailbreak unlock)?
Old 17th December 2012, 13:53   #5645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
INR 150? Doesn't sound like factory unlock to me, is this a software unlock (jailbreak unlock)?
I'd tried this guy when I got my phone jailbroken with Gevey SIM earlier, not this time. It will not be a jailbrake/Gevey SIM solution this time, because AT&T is giving out unlock codes. These people (and also the person selling on eBay, Rs. 150) might have got a bunch of those unlock codes (or anything else related to it). In my case, I did not have to enter any code, just restore with iTunes.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:57   #5646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
I bought the iPhone 4, 18 months ago. Now i am confused if i should upgrade to iPhone 5 or wait for the next generation till Oct 2013.
Iphone 4 is doing the job perfectly and is in perfect condition, does it make sense to go for the 5 for the provided improvements? Is it worth?

One more question
Has any one moved from iOS to Android? I was considering Note2 as well but i 'love' iOS and don't want to regret buying it.
As earlier my $0.02, if you are not overly dependent on performance intensive apps and multimedia editing apps then you can stay firm and keep on enjoying the 4. If you have 4G in your area and you wish to enjoy the faster browsing and edit videos and play latest games then you should change to 5. iPhone 5 has a better camera than 4.

I am not sure for what else user might let go of iPhone.

Coming to Android, yes the game has become more competitive and Android will become the Windows of the world, iPhone (Apple) wants to keep it niche and nothing more. If you could get a 8GB iPhone 4 for 25k now for the same amount you can get a better specked Android device. Apple has the power to sell more but its not in its DNA to have more market share rather more profit market share is there mantra.

I think you will not be very comfortable with Note 2 if iPhone has been your phone for a while now. The screen is gorgeous and the processor fast but the apps and the eco-system to my mind has a lot to do. Google Play has loads of crappy apps and the decent ones do not make good use of the power packed specs. Google S3 or Note2 vs iPhone and you will be surprised that iPhone is better at handling a lot of competitive tasks. I am sure Google is working tirelessly but at this point I am an iOS advocate.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:07   #5647
BHPian

Quote:
because AT&T is giving out unlock codes. These people (and also the person selling on eBay, Rs. 150) might have got a bunch of those unlock codes (or anything else related to it)
AFAIK It never works out this way when it comes to iPhones. At&T never gives any unlock code to anyone. The standard process is AT&T will initiate the unlock request from customer and if the request qualifies, AT&T will give instructions to apple to whitelist the IMEI of that device. Once whitelisted, AT&T will send you confirmation email that your phone is now unlocked. All you need to do is sync the device to itunes and you are done.

There is no other work around for the method I mentioned above. Even if you qualify for an unlock of your device (for instance out of contract) and if you approach Apple for unlock request they will never entertain you. Its only AT&T who will initiate the request and Apple will abide to unlock only if request comes from AT&T and not the customer.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:13   #5648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post

AFAIK It never works out this way when it comes to iPhones. At&T never gives any unlock code to anyone. The standard process is AT&T will initiate the unlock request from customer and if the request qualifies, AT&T will give instructions to apple to whitelist the IMEI of that device. Once whitelisted, AT&T will send you confirmation email that your phone is now unlocked. All you need to do is sync the device to itunes and you are done.

There is no other work around for the method I mentioned above. Even if you qualify for an unlock of your device (for instance out of contract) and if you approach Apple for unlock request they will never entertain you. Its only AT&T who will initiate the request and Apple will abide to unlock only if request comes from AT&T and not the customer.
Yes, that is how my phone was unlocked. However, Amit does not know the buyer who can talk to the carrier and get the phone unlocked. See the attached pic from eBay.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-image4015935422.jpg  

The iPhone Thread-image3711704946.jpg  

Last edited by sa_kiran : 17th December 2012 at 15:15.
Old 18th December 2012, 15:30   #5649
BHPian

Guys just recently I got Iphone 4S locked with Verizon.The minimum quote to factory unlock I have got is 5300Rs.Can somebody help me if its possible to factory unlock it at lower cost?
Old 18th December 2012, 16:10   #5650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post

One more question
I have moved from iOS to Android, I am using a Google Nexus 4 now.
Been using iOS since the day the first iPhone was launched, used it till iPhone 4S
Old 19th December 2012, 01:29   #5651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post

Been using iOS since the day the first iPhone was launched, used it till iPhone 4S
So how do you find the move?
Old 19th December 2012, 09:50   #5652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I am also going to move to Windows phone. I am not a big fan of Android. The Lumia 920 is such a stunning piece of hardware that I am ready to ignore the shortcomings of Windows OS, compared to the legendary iOS. I will come back to iPhone in another 1-2 years may be.

I already have an iPod Touch (Bought in 2009), iPod Shuffle (Bought in 2006), and coming-soon iPad Mini, so its not like I am divorcing Apple completely.
Old 19th December 2012, 10:34   #5653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am also going to move to Windows phone. I am not a big fan of Android. The Lumia 920 is such a stunning piece of hardware that I am ready to ignore the shortcomings of Windows OS, compared to the legendary iOS. I will come back to iPhone in another 1-2 years may be.

I already have an iPod Touch (Bought in 2009), iPod Shuffle (Bought in 2006), and coming-soon iPad Mini, so its not like I am divorcing Apple completely.
That sounds like a good move. The Lumia 920 looks like a capabale gadget(tad big though), with the pureview camera, wireless charging etc. I really like the Windows Phone OS. Still keep the HTC HD7 as my backup phone.

And by the time you get back to iPhone, almost all the new apple devices would have moved to the new charging sockets, docks etc.
Old 19th December 2012, 11:11   #5654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is how my phone was unlocked. However, Amit does not know the buyer who can talk to the carrier and get the phone unlocked. See the attached pic from eBay.
Got my iPhone 4 running OS 4.0.1 unlocked.

Okay, One BIG thanks to sa_kiran for showing the light.

Got my iPhone 4 unlocked.

Thanks to sa_kiran, I checked on the offers for unlocking the iPhone on ebay.in

Got some offers, picked the cheapest one for INR 98, thought 98 bucks is nothing, even if it doesnt work, no harm, the max loss is less than 100 bucks. Paid online, gave that guy my IMEI number.

Today in the morning at 5:30 AM he sent an email that it is unlocked.

I tried doing everything I could to not to install latest OS 6.0.1, however, could not avoid it.

Updated my OS to 6.0.1, and was waiting for the prompt on iTunes to say that the phone is unlocked, however no such prompt came up.

However, phone is working fine. Had taken out Gevey Sim earlier and the phone booted well and is working fine on iOS 6.0.1

Earlier my phone was jailbroken one, hence couldnt get the backup restored, lost all installed apps, however these apps are on iTunes, I just need to select them and they will be installed.

Enjoying latest OS, big change from OS 4. (though was using latest OS on iPad, but on iPhone its a different experience).

One word of caution - Please do take a backup of your contacts with atleast Windows contacts, so that you can get the contacts back on your phone from Windows contact list.

I did lots of googling, before paying that INR 98 (to see if I can do it myself), however could not find out.

However one link would like to share, this site tells you if your phone is unlocked OR not based on IMEI number.

http://www.iphoneox.com/

The ebay seller I tried who did the job - http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...:PPOPN:IN:1123

(I am in no way associated with the dealer, however, he did the job on payment of just INR 98, big thanks to him too)

Hope all you people using Gevey, get going on this one.

Try this site to see if your phone can be unlocked OR not (blacklisted etc)

http://cellunlocker.net/

ALL the best and big thanks again to sa_kiran
Old 19th December 2012, 12:35   #5655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Got my iPhone 4 running OS 4.0.1 unlocked.

Okay, One BIG thanks to sa_kiran for showing the light.
Welcome, enjoy the full potential of the phone and the latest OS. You don't have to bother about losing unlock due to upgrades. I've not noticed any tardy response due to iOS 6.0.1, it seems good for another 1-2 years at least.

iTunes backup really helped. I have a few paid apps (or downloaded when they were free). I could get those apps on iPhone 4 (which my wife uses with her App Store ID) easily with iTunes. Latest version of iTunes makes installing and removing apps very easy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks