Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2012, 14:23   #5626
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Any members with iPhone and ANHC?

I've a problem (iPhone 4s, iOS 6.0.1). Yesterday, while driving back home from office, I set my home as destination and started. Google Maps lady spoke a few words and then went mute! The announcement was on car's stereo system, just as music. Switching the music system off and on does not help. I had to kill the Maps app and restart. I had faced this problem with Waze earlier. It seems to be a problem with navigation apps. Navigation apps either mute or greatly reduce the volume. If only music is played, it never faces any problem.

I had faced this problem earlier on jailbroken iPhone 4 and Sygic.

I've told Honda about this today, no response yet. The people at service centers don't even understand this problem.

Google Maps had a 3D view (or was it called something else?). If we double touched the arrow, the apps showed the road ahead, not oriented to any particular direction. The present app does not replicate this feature as neatly.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 14th December 2012 at 14:24.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:15   #5627
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
...but read here that there could be WiFi related issues with the SW update so have not done it as yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I am not facing any trouble at all with wi fi or indeed any other issues with 6.0.1.
Just fyi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
+1 to that; 4S, upgraded to 6.0.1 a week after purchase; using wifi and gprs without an issue (touch wood!) so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Thanks Shankar and HappyWheels. I guess I will go for that update after all.
I was in the US when I upgraded my Iphone to 4s to ios 6.0.1. There was surely an issue initially with wi-fi but it vanished after I reset the phone back to factory settings. In my personal observation, I used to lose wi-fi connectivity whenever the internet connection went via a proxy.

Do you guys get good battery life with ios6? I am kind of unhappy with the battery life after the upgrade.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:19   #5628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I was in the US when I upgraded my Iphone to 4s to ios 6.0.1. There was surely an issue initially with wi-fi but it vanished after I reset the phone back to factory settings. In my personal observation, I used to lose wi-fi connectivity whenever the internet connection went via a proxy.
I still have wi-fi issues on iPhone 4S, iPhone 4 and iPad 2, all on iOS 6.0.1.

All app downloads are extremely slow, updates take ages to download, 5-10 MB apps take 10-15 min to download. However, all other downloads (videos) are very fast and play without noticeable buffering. Another problems noticed on iPhone 4S - stored wi-fi password is lost and I'm prompted to enter it while connecting! I had not faced it on any of the versions prior to iOS 6.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:27   #5629
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post

All app downloads are extremely slow, updates take ages to download, 5-10 MB apps take 10-15 min to download. However, all other downloads (videos) are very fast and play without noticeable buffering. Another problems noticed on iPhone 4S - stored wi-fi password is lost and I'm prompted to enter it while connecting! I had not faced it on any of the versions prior to iOS 6.
Never faced the issue of losing stored wi-fi password on my iPhone 4S. Yes, I noticed wi-fi getting dropped occasionally and connection going to 3G automatically. As a workaround, when I enter home, I switch mobile data to OFF and strangely wi-fi remains active after that
Old 14th December 2012, 15:36   #5630
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Do you guys get good battery life with ios6? I am kind of unhappy with the battery life after the upgrade.
Infact mine has improved a lot after upgrading to iOS 6.

Btw, Kiran, got the 4S unlocked. $6 was a steal deal. Thanks for that.

Im having problems with Wi-Fi connection. I'll try the restore you suggested.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:46   #5631
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:

Very odd. For me so far none of these issues have popped up.
I seamlessly waddle between the home wi fi and office wi fi and it picks up the signal as applicable.
iOS6 is also perfectly cool for me as of now...
Old 14th December 2012, 17:07   #5632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Infact mine has improved a lot after upgrading to iOS 6.

Btw, Kiran, got the 4S unlocked. $6 was a steal deal. Thanks for that.

Im having problems with Wi-Fi connection. I'll try the restore you suggested.
I had got my iPhone 4 from my brother-in-law in the US, AT&T network. SW unlock was not available for the baseband on the phone, so used with Gevey SIM unlock and iOS 4. With iOS 5, Gevey was not a reliable solution and did not use it. AT&T has now unlocked the phone, no charges. I just had to restore the phone with iTunes. The tougher part is now, getting Vodafone Maharashtra circle micro SIM in Mumbai I'm planning to go to Ulhasnagar tomorrow to get it.
Old 15th December 2012, 15:39   #5633
BHPian

Quote:

I had got my iPhone 4 from my brother-in-law in the US, AT&T network. SW unlock was not available for the baseband on the phone, so used with Gevey SIM unlock and iOS 4. With iOS 5, Gevey was not a reliable solution and did not use it. AT&T has now unlocked the phone, no charges. I just had to restore the phone with iTunes. The tougher part is now, getting Vodafone Maharashtra circle micro SIM in Mumbai I'm planning to go to Ulhasnagar tomorrow to get it.
You can just cut your SIM without going in for a micro sim. I did that. Lots of videos on YouTube.
Old 15th December 2012, 18:31   #5634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

You can just cut your SIM without going in for a micro sim. I did that. Lots of videos on YouTube.
I could have done that. But the old SIM being over 5 years old acts cranky sometimes. Anyway, I had been to Ulhasnagar today to get the new SIM - my contempt for Vodafone has gone up a few notches after today's experience.
Old 16th December 2012, 09:26   #5635
Senior - BHPian

Come on Apple... iPhone 4? Now?

The iPhone Thread-img_20121216_090400.jpg
Old 16th December 2012, 10:08   #5636
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Come on Apple... iPhone 4? Now?
Surplus stock dump...
Old 16th December 2012, 11:39   #5637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had got my iPhone 4 from my brother-in-law in the US, AT&T network. SW unlock was not available for the baseband on the phone, so used with Gevey SIM unlock and iOS 4. With iOS 5, Gevey was not a reliable solution and did not use it. AT&T has now unlocked the phone, no charges. I just had to restore the phone with iTunes.
Same situation as yours, however got iphone 4 from craigslist in US.

How did AT&T unlock the phone now? Did you call them? In my case they have been asking the buyers name or plan or any info which I donot have.
Old 16th December 2012, 12:21   #5638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

Same situation as yours, however got iphone 4 from craigslist in US.

How did AT&T unlock the phone now? Did you call them? In my case they have been asking the buyers name or plan or any info which I donot have.
Yes, buyer has to do it. In my case it is my brother in law. Search around Internet, there are people who will do it for as little as Rs. 150.
Old 16th December 2012, 12:31   #5639
BHPian

Quote:

All app downloads are extremely slow, updates take ages to download, 5-10 MB apps take 10-15 min to download.
I'm facing the same issues with the same set of devices. Also add to app updates to that list as well. What was your fix for it?
Old 16th December 2012, 12:34   #5640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post

I'm facing the same issues with the same set of devices. Also add to app updates to that list as well. What was your fix for it?
No fixes yet :-(, have to live with it till Apple releases iOS 6.1. Imagine my frustration while downloading NFS and its updates! The app is more than 1 GB and updates are probable 100s of MB.

Last edited by sa_kiran : 16th December 2012 at 12:40.

Most Viewed