Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2012, 07:57   #4081
BHPian
 
jaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 548
Thanked: 397 Times
Default

True Durango!
I use a Macbook Pro (Latest) and iPhone 4S. On the same Wifi, the iPhone pulls first (for example: emails).

And Mbp is the fastest compared to other brands.
But, go with a minimum of 2gb and upwards. And, If you use it as a Hotspot, then go for minimum 5gb.
The moment you Open the Phone, it may pull out 10-20 mb, within Seconds. If you configure, all your emails, then within a few seconds all your emails are updated and new mails are downloaded.

Infact, the iPhone is so good for data, that it doesn't do justice, just for talking or for 2g network.

Last edited by jaaz : 19th February 2012 at 08:02.
jaaz is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 13:40   #4082
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,483
Thanked: 2,708 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
And, If you use it as a Hotspot, then go for minimum 5gb.
Do you have any app to make the iPhone a 'hotspot'? I have iPhone 4. I used to run my Nokia N8 as a hotspot with Joiku Hotspot Premium, is there any thing similar to that for iPhone 4?
Durango Dude is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 13:44   #4083
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,869
Thanked: 7,188 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Do you have any app to make the iPhone a 'hotspot'? I have iPhone 4. I used to run my Nokia N8 as a hotspot with Joiku Hotspot Premium, is there any thing similar to that for iPhone 4?
Go to settings>general>network>personal hotspot (or set up personal hotspot)
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 15:51   #4084
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Go to settings>general>network>personal hotspot (or set up personal hotspot)
Now only if you can do this on iPad
I have a 3G connection on iPad, my query is how to download app more than 20 mb. Please help.
Sn1p3r is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 17:55   #4085
Senior - BHPian
 
IronH4WK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,468
Thanked: 4,082 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude

Do you have any app to make the iPhone a 'hotspot'? I have iPhone 4. I used to run my Nokia N8 as a hotspot with Joiku Hotspot Premium, is there any thing similar to that for iPhone 4?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
Go to settings>general>network>personal hotspot (or set up personal hotspot)
Here you go! This is in the Settings section of my iPhone 4:
Name:  image1978274796.png
Views: 463
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  image278854742.png
Views: 421
Size:  172.2 KB
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 21:29   #4086
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,483
Thanked: 2,708 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Thanks to Dhanush and IronHawk. But here's a snap shot from my iPhone4(iOS 5) there is nothing of a personal hotspot thing in here. My query is there an app to get the same?
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-photo.png  

Durango Dude is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 21:31   #4087
BHPian
 
jaaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Earth
Posts: 548
Thanked: 397 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude

Do you have any app to make the iPhone a 'hotspot'? I have iPhone 4. I used to run my Nokia N8 as a hotspot with Joiku Hotspot Premium, is there any thing similar to that for iPhone 4?
I guess you got the answer. No need of any app. It's there in the Settings.

The other question to download an app. of 20mb shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a very slow connection.

Last edited by jaaz : 20th February 2012 at 21:33.
jaaz is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 21:48   #4088
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,994
Thanked: 666 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
Thanks to Dhanush and IronHawk. But here's a snap shot from my iPhone4(iOS 5) there is nothing of a personal hotspot thing in here. My query is there an app to get the same?
AFAIK, your carrier (Aircel) has to allow tethering for it to show up in the menus. Not sure if Aircel (or perhaps your plan) allows that.
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2012, 22:10   #4089
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,483
Thanked: 2,708 Times
Default re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
AFAIK, your carrier (Aircel) has to allow tethering for it to show up in the menus. Not sure if Aircel (or perhaps your plan) allows that.
I was able to use the Nokia N8 as a wifi hotspot (joiku app) with the same connection (Aircel).
Durango Dude is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 22:24   #4090
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
Thanks to Dhanush and IronHawk. But here's a snap shot from my iPhone4(iOS 5) there is nothing of a personal hotspot thing in here. My query is there an app to get the same?
No need for an app.
Confirm with Aircel if they allow tethering and if they say yes, reset your iPhone. You could sync it first to iTunes so you save data.
Source:https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
vinod332002 is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 22:40   #4091
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 228
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
I was able to use the Nokia N8 as a wifi hotspot (joiku app) with the same connection (Aircel).
The default personal hotspot in iPhone works via USB or Bluetooth and not through wifi. For a wifi hotspot you need to jailbreak your phone and install Pdanet from Cydia.
nkg77 is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 22:59   #4092
Senior - BHPian
 
anekho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: .
Posts: 1,994
Thanked: 666 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
I was able to use the Nokia N8 as a wifi hotspot (joiku app) with the same connection (Aircel).
Hmm. Odd! I'd go with what Vinod says - full restore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

The default personal hotspot in iPhone works via USB or Bluetooth and not through wifi. For a wifi hotspot you need to jailbreak your phone and install Pdanet from Cydia.
No need to jailbreak; wifi hotspot works on iphone (atleast on iPhone 4).
anekho is offline  
Old 20th February 2012, 23:57   #4093
BHPian
 
nkg77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Trivandrum, Kerala
Posts: 228
Thanked: 142 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho
No need to jailbreak; wifi hotspot works on iphone (atleast on iPhone 4).
iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0.1, the hotspot options are USB or Bluetooth. Please check the screenshot attached.

Name:  image2464261759.png
Views: 397
Size:  69.8 KB
nkg77 is offline  
Old 21st February 2012, 00:12   #4094
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

iPhone 3GS running iOS 5.0.1, the hotspot options are USB or Bluetooth. Please check the screenshot attached.
Just read that hotspot over wifi works on iPhone 4 and newer only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

Now only if you can do this on iPad
I have a 3G connection on iPad, my query is how to download app more than 20 mb. Please help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz

I guess you got the answer. No need of any app. It's there in the Settings.

The other question to download an app. of 20mb shouldn't be a problem, unless you have a very slow connection.
Apple doesn't allow downloads of over 20 MB over 3G. If you absolutely have to download it over 3G, you'd need a jailbreak, or just hook up to a wifi (or if you have an iphone4 just set up hotspot on it and connect the iPad to the iPhone.)

Ps: Downloading 20Mb over hotspot will suck a lot out of the iPhone battery.

Mods: Please merge with my earlier reply. Thanks.

Last edited by DerAlte : 21st February 2012 at 11:16. Reason: As requested by OP
vinod332002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2012, 08:26   #4095
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 230 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002

Apple doesn't allow downloads of over 20 MB over 3G. If you absolutely have to download it over 3G, you'd need a jailbreak, or just hook up to a wifi (or if you have an iphone4 just set up hotspot on it and connect the iPad to the iPhone.)

Ps: Downloading 20Mb over hotspot will suck a lot out of the iPhone battery.
I was updating one of the games over 3G that I originally downloaded on wifi.
IMHO this limit is absurd, if you want to view/download Audio/Video content over 3G more than 20mb that's not allowed either. Now for people who are away from Wifi and have 3G should be able to spend their quota however they want, guess Apple knows something which we don't.

Battery will be sucked but the limit also applies for iPad with a bigger battery pack.
Sn1p3r is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks