Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 14:51   #4171
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

I am back with my troubles with the Iph 4. The mic strip does not work and Apple India will not fix it for me (even at my cost) because I did not buy it in India. My warranty in Europe has also expired and there is no way I would ship it out for a replacement.

A local mobile repair fellow (among best in town for fixes) tried a few times, but apparently the parts he is getting do not resolve the issue. So I am now left with what is essentially an iPod.

The problem is with reliability of voice reception at the other end. When I talk, the person at the other end cannot hear me. This happens midway through a call or at times at the beginning itself. Anyone here who has had this problem and been able to fix it?

Bluetooth device pairing also brought up the same issues.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:17   #4172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Bluetooth device pairing also brought up the same issues.
Obviously you would have used another phone for the sim and its working fine. So now the question is have you tried a factory restore of software? Also have you checked the ambient noise cancellation mike, that sits on the top? If that is interfering?
Old 5th March 2012, 15:20   #4173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Obviously you would have used another phone for the sim and its working fine. So now the question is have you tried a factory restore of software? Also have you checked the ambient noise cancellation mike, that sits on the top? If that is interfering?
yes, the sim works fine on another iPh4. Also tried a factory restore of software. Later upgraded to iOS 5 (though that isnt relevant here).

What is the ambient noise cancellation mike and how can I check for its interference? Please note I have never opened the phone by myself.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:58   #4174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
What is the ambient noise cancellation mike and how can I check for its interference? Please note I have never opened the phone by myself.
Check out point 2 mentioned under step 25. Have you tried using the wired handsdree unit?

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/4

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th March 2012 at 16:09.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 23:47   #4175
BHPian

Dropped my iPhone 4S today , Was taking it out of the pocket and it slipped . Screen is shattered but phone is still working along with the touch interface.

Bought it for 45K, exactly 1 month back . My heart is bleeding for my 45k .
What are my options can I get it repaired if yes how much will it cost or should I sell it off "as it is" . I am in delhi

Please help
Old 6th March 2012, 00:18   #4176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
What are my options can I get it repaired if yes how much will it cost or should I sell it off "as it is" . I am in delhi

Please help
The screen is available in grey market and online. You can repair it or if you have insurance, try that route. Screen cost couple of thousands. Find a mobile guy who can handle it. Also next time get a bumper guard, last week I dropped mine twice and was saved by these. Guard has minor scratches. That's it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2012 at 00:20.
Old 6th March 2012, 01:22   #4177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Heart says to go for the iPhone 4S but the mind says to wait for the iPhone 5. I would go by what the mind says. Decided to wait for the iPhone 5 which is rumored to be released by October this year. Hopefully by that time my current service provider contract will also be over and I will be free to choose the best option available. So the wait starts!
My heart won me over my mind. Today I'm back home after work with my new IP4S 32 GB. This is my first ever Apple product and it already looks appealing to me.

I have not yet got a micro SIM and I tried to connect to the internet. I have a wireless modem and I tried to connect to it, I get the message saying that it can't connect to the internet. Do I have to have a SIM card in order to connect to the wireless?
Old 6th March 2012, 02:08   #4178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My heart won me over my mind. Today I'm back home after work with my new IP4S 32 GB. This is my first ever Apple product and it already looks appealing to me.
Congratulations and welcome to the Iphone Club!

Quote:
I have not yet got a micro SIM
You can cut your regular sim into the micro-sim size yourself. Several templates online

Quote:
I tried to connect to the internet. I have a wireless modem and I tried to connect to it, I get the message saying that it can't connect to the internet. Do I have to have a SIM card in order to connect to the wireless?
You don't need the sim card in to connect to a wireless network.
If I've understood correctly you have a wifi setup. Are you sure you've connected to it (i.e before you try to use the browser/apps that run on the net) and entered the correct password?

Settings->Wi-Fi->hit the 'on' switch->choose network and enter password.

Last edited by anekho : 6th March 2012 at 02:14.
Old 6th March 2012, 02:34   #4179
BHPian

Restarted my WiFi connection and it worked.

Do I need to have an Apple ID to start downloading Apps from the Appstore? Creating an Apple ID is fine. But why do I have to subsequently give my credit card details. If I specify none, it asks for my address on the next page. Why would Apple need all this information? With Android, I just need my Gmail account and I'm set to go. Any justification as to why I have to provide my address? Is there a way that I can skip proving my address information?

Without an Apple ID, can't I simply download apps?

Please suggest me some free Apps for the following needs:

(1) Best Navigation with Turn by Turn for Europe (Paid or free)
(2) App to play mp3 files. Is this by any means possible? I have a lot of mp3 music on my Ubuntu. How do I get them all transferred to my IP4S?

Apart from that, what are some of the good apps that might be of use and worth installing. Free ones please!
Old 6th March 2012, 02:47   #4180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Restarted my WiFi connection and it worked.

Do I need to have an Apple ID to start downloading Apps from the Appstore? Creating an Apple ID is fine. But why do I have to subsequently give my credit card details. If I specify none, it asks for my address on the next page. Why would Apple need all this information? With Android, I just need my Gmail account and I'm set to go. Any justification as to why I have to provide my address? Is there a way that I can skip proving my address information?

Without an Apple ID, can't I simply download apps?
I got an account a year or two ago without giving my credit card details by following this method:

Create an iTunes Account without a credit card - How-To Geek

Quote:
(2) App to play mp3 files. Is this by any means possible? I have a lot of mp3 music on my Ubuntu. How do I get them all transferred to my IP4S?
The iphone plays mp3 files natively; you don't need any standalone app. Just add the files to itunes, sync your iphone and you're ready to go!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 08:37   #4181
BHPian

Quote:

I have not yet got a micro SIM and I tried to connect to the internet. I have a wireless modem and I tried to connect to it, I get the message saying that it can't connect to the internet. Do I have to have a SIM card in order to connect to the wireless?
>>>

I got a new connexion for the 4S 64GB. As my old SIM could not be accommodated in it. Today I go to the Apple Store to let them put the microSIM and brief me on how to use it.

I am told that there is a one year warranty on it and to extend it further, one has to do so before the current warranty runs out.

Do let me know about your initial user experiences.

Regards
Old 6th March 2012, 09:35   #4182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

I got a new connexion for the 4S 64GB. As my old SIM could not be accommodated in it. Today I go to the Apple Store to let them put the microSIM and brief me on how to use it.

I am told that there is a one year warranty on it and to extend it further, one has to do so before the current warranty runs out.

Do let me know about your initial user experiences.

Regards
Did you buy the 64 GB IP4S? Cool.

Even I was told that the IP4S has a 1 year international warranty and if I have to extend it for another year, I have to do so within the first year.

I'm yet to use a micro SIM. Will have to wait till the weekend. But I already started downloading apps from the store and my initial experience with the UI is really amazing. The typing experience is miles better than Android. I remember with my Samsung Galaxy (with Android 1.5) typing text in an urgency was possible with errors. But with IP4S, it is flawless and I'm able to type content quicker without any mistakes. I like that very much.

I'm not sure how the battery holds up with a full charge. At the Apple store, I was told that the battery would just last for a day when the IP4S is used heavily. It was always a problem for me with the Android devices as the battery drained out very quickly. But I hope the IP4S would be much better than that.

Please post your experiences as well with your new IP4S.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:37   #4183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar
Dropped my iPhone 4S today , Was taking it out of the pocket and it slipped . Screen is shattered but phone is still working along with the touch interface.

Please help
The screen can be changed, it costed my friend 3k, NFC market. As Jaggu mentioned, do take it to your retailer first. If they charge more then do PM me, I will send you the guy's number. Cheers!
Old 6th March 2012, 09:48   #4184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post

Please help
Very sorry to hear that. But didn't you have a protective case for the iPhone? I'm sure you could easily replace it. Take it to the store and I'm sure you will get it repaired.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:53   #4185
BHPian

From yesterday, my iPhone 4 is not picking signals. It is on iOS 4.3 & Baseband 3.10.01 & Gevey unlocked since 2011 June, so more than 9 months and has been working fine till now. Whenever I powered the phone on back from switch off (or a few "rare" cases when signal went blank briefly for some time) I could easily repeat the unlock process via 112 in less than a minute. So dont know what has happened now.

I took it to a person in Ritchie St who had helped me source the gevey and unlock it for first time. But no success. He was trying to fiddle with it and phone got hanged. Any way I switched it off and ON, and luckily it was back to normal except that still it doesnt pick signal. He asked me to come a few days later to check it again if any solution available. Meanwhile settled for a new basic Nokia X1 just for my calling needs. It is just one day, and I already miss my iPhone badly :-(

Any body here facing issues with Gevey after so many months of hassle free use. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Please suggest a place in Chennai where I could take it for further check up. I am also toying with the idea of upgrading to ios 5 (mainly for the new unified messaging features) and want to confirm what is the experience of the community here on it with the same bb as mine? (I did read a few posts where upgrade to ios 5 with gevey was fine)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks