Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2012, 16:43   #4921
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

All droid lovers, why are we even discussing the Apple vs Samsung debate on a thread meant for..... wait... iPhones! There are enough debates out there on the web.

The iPhone 5 does seem lovely. Liked the new 'all black' phone. Looks better than the aluminium border on the 4/4s.
Cant really comment on the navigation, cause never really used that on the phone. Didnt find the need to.

Is the new phone path breaking? Probably not.
Logical upgrade? At least not for me. At least not yet. I mean my 4s is barely 3 months old!
Old 13th September 2012, 16:48   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Maybe thats because when you have your own OS, you can tweak more out of it to suit the target hardware.
No this is because the Processor Core is duel core Cortax A15 which has approx 40% better performance then previous generation ARM core used in iPhone 4S , also Apple A6 uses Samsung 32 nm process to fab reducing the power requirement and size so there is 2 more hours of talk time claim. One of the main feature of this core is hardware support for virtualization ( analogus to VT-X/AMD-V in case of x86) so suppose if Apple was bit more open you could have seen 2 OS side by side and compared them instead of debating on net

About the Optimization

every OEM optimizes the OS and with open source OS it is even better
except perhaps Windows Phone where microsoft decides the chasis ( yes they call Processor + GPU +min RAM + peripheral spec as chasis).
Old 13th September 2012, 16:58   #4923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That does not help with iPhone / iOS6. Usually Apple would now allow a competing product in App store if it has a navigation solution of its own.

If Google Maps does appear on iOS, that would be a different thing.
There's nothing which can beat Google maps in terms of data it has, and it is growing at exponential rates! If iPhone can have Google Maps and navigation, it would be really good.

Article: "Google Maps War With Apple Is Over - Google Won"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tjmccue/...er-google-won/

There's a point in that article which says that Apple would head back to Google Maps in few months.

I've been using Google Maps with worldwide navigation crack so far on my Android - now Google has decided to enable navigation for India, so no more updating the cracked app, but just updated to the latest Google Maps directly from market and Navigation just works! I am not hell-bent on offline map caching and offline navigation since we have good data coverage in most of the places and data traffic for loading map tiles isn't that big at all. It can't even threaten a 1GB data limit even if you use navigation quite a lot.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th September 2012 at 17:07.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:13   #4924
Distinguished - BHPian

After having used an IP4s for 9-10 months in parallel with my Motorola Razr I think I am drifiting to the 'droid camp. Apple places far too many restrictions on users. No, I don't believe in JB as it messed my phone in the past. Apple India needs to seriously rework their pricing strategy.

That said I love the attention to detail in Apple's manufacture, quality of construction and the ease of use, stability. Will I get an IP5? May be. Yeah I liked what I saw - it is a nice to have not a 'must have'. Let's see how things go.

What is of concern to me is the nano sim! Even a micro sim is difficult to get in this country. I was told by Reliance Digital that using a cut SIM may void the warranty. AFAIK only Vodafone, Airtel and Aircel provide micro SIMs. I hope nano sim become available once the IP5 is launched here otherwise the IP is ruled out.
Old 14th September 2012, 08:39   #4925
Distinguished - BHPian

Car conectivity remains a question.

Quote:
Apple also announced the new Lightning connector, which replaces the 30-pin connector to which we have become accustomed, and is more of a mixed bag in terms of in-car connectivity.

The new connector still works with USB ports, so any automaker that employs such an outlet in its vehicles will have no issue. Several automakers, however, have connection ports specifically built for the 30-pin connector. Apple will offer an adaptor for that setup, but that may not be enough.

The new 8-pin connector is fully digital, and is not able to transmit analog signals. Kia. Hyundai and older BMW models feature a connector that sends both USB and eighth-inch analog signals through the 30-pin connector. It appears Apple's adaptor will not work with the connectors provided by these vehicles.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/13/i...onnectivity-q/
Old 14th September 2012, 08:52   #4926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There's nothing which can beat Google maps in terms of data it has, and it is growing at exponential rates!
Apple's new map application in iOS 6 neither provides turn by turn navigation nor directions for India. Thats like going one step backward
Old 14th September 2012, 09:54   #4927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Car conectivity remains a question.
Not a problem for true iPhone fans, just change the car to match the new connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Apple's new map application in iOS 6 neither provides turn by turn navigation nor directions for India. Thats like going one step backward
You can still install Google Maps on iPhone right? Then it is a non-issue.
Old 14th September 2012, 09:58   #4928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But Google Maps Navigation is not working in iOS Devices :(
Hope Apple will come up with Navigation to Indian region shortly.
Old 14th September 2012, 09:59   #4929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Google has not released a stand alone Maps application for iPhone yet. You might have to use other alternatives like http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mymap+/id467908886?mt=8
Old 14th September 2012, 10:35   #4930
BHPian

Any idea how much would the iPhone 4 and 4s cost in India now?
Last I checked, the 4 was selling for about 30-32k for the 16GB model and 4s was going for 42-45k 16 GB.

In US I think the i4 now costs $99 with a 2 year contract.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:39   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Last I checked, the 4 was selling for about 30-32k for the 16GB model and 4s was going for 42-45k 16 GB.

StrangeWizard

The price revision for India will take atleast a month or so. And in US, the iPhone-4 is now FREE with 2 years carrier contract, 4S is 99$ with contract and iPhone-5 is 199$ with contract.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 14th September 2012 at 10:42.
Old 14th September 2012, 10:49   #4932
Team-BHP Support

This pretty much sums it up!

Old 14th September 2012, 10:54   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post

only the iPhone 4 8GB is available, which is going for 37,500/- (but i got one for 35,400/- for wifey). iPhone 4S 16GB is selling for 44,500/- the last i checked.

now that the iPhone 5 has been launched, they'll stop iPhone 4 and limit iPhone 4S to 8GB (like they did with iP4 when iP4S was launched).
Old 14th September 2012, 12:59   #4934
BHPian

Guys,

I have a strange problem. Everyone here is praising the Navfree navigation app from the istore, but I never got it working for me. Everytime I start, it prompt a message for 'Poor GPS'. I have deleted and re-installed it multiple times but never worked. There was not even a single instance that I got it working for me. Anyone faced similar issue with it ?

Please note that rest of the navigation apps like waze, google maps etc work perfectly fine in the same place/conditions. I tried using Navfree outdoors too, but did not help. Any pointers ?
Old 14th September 2012, 13:02   #4935
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering why cannot we have this contract system in India. It is a very convenient way to keep changing your handsets without worrying much about the huge intial outflow.

Most Viewed