Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2012, 13:12   #4936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels
Just wondering why cannot we have this contract system in India. It is a very convenient way to keep changing your handsets without worrying much about the huge intial outflow.
Operators issue locked handsets on contract. So this means you wont be able to use any other operator until you unlock the phone. Mts had started this with their first android phone but don't know what has happened to that now. I really wish iPhone 5 was available on contract. Airtel earlier used to give locked iPhone 3gs even after you pay the full cost of the phone.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:36   #4937
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Operators issue locked handsets on contract. So this means you wont be able to use any other operator until you unlock the phone. Mts had started this with their first android phone but don't know what has happened to that now. I really wish iPhone 5 was available on contract. Airtel earlier used to give locked iPhone 3gs even after you pay the full cost of the phone.
Not everywhere. Here in Singapore, all 3 service providers sell unlocked iPhone on contract. I actually use iPhone 4 bought from operator A on a 2 year contract, but the SIM is from operator B.
Old 14th September 2012, 13:59   #4938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec
Guys,

I have a strange problem. Everyone here is praising the Navfree navigation app from the istore, but I never got it working for me. Everytime I start, it prompt a message for 'Poor GPS'. I have deleted and re-installed it multiple times but never worked. There was not even a single instance that I got it working for me. Anyone faced similar issue with it ?

Please note that rest of the navigation apps like waze, google maps etc work perfectly fine in the same place/conditions. I tried using Navfree outdoors too, but did not help. Any pointers ?
This usually happens if you are using an iphone with a case that is blocking the gps signals or if your car has metal infused films or a combination of both.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:26   #4939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan

This usually happens if you are using an iphone with a case that is blocking the gps signals or if your car has metal infused films or a combination of both.
But how does it work for other navigation apps then? At first i thought the same but this doubt remained.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:31   #4940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

But how does it work for other navigation apps then? At first i thought the same but this doubt remained.
Thats because navfree requires a stronger gps reception than others. Why dont you buy sygic, its a one time investment and it works flawlessly and gives the most no of POIs and also does not use your net connection.
Old 14th September 2012, 16:51   #4941
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Apple's new map application in iOS 6 neither provides turn by turn navigation nor directions for India. Thats like going one step backward
Installed iOS 6 and it indeed is a big step backward. Hardly gives decent searches and no directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You can still install Google Maps on iPhone right? Then it is a non-issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
But Google Maps Navigation is not working in iOS Devices :(
Hope Apple will come up with Navigation to Indian region shortly.
Open maps in safari and it will give you app shortcut which will resolve the issue to a great extend. Even routing also and surprisingly its showing traffic in some routes too
Old 14th September 2012, 17:28   #4942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can still install Google Maps on iPhone right? Then it is a non-issue.
You cant, because Google maps is not available for iOS6. Google has not announced any plans to make it available.

Even if Google wants to, Apple does not allow "competing" products in App Store.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:40   #4943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Any idea how much would the iPhone 4 and 4s cost in India now?
Last I checked, the 4 was selling for about 30-32k for the 16GB model and 4s was going for 42-45k 16 GB.

In US I think the i4 now costs $99 with a 2 year contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
StrangeWizard

The price revision for India will take atleast a month or so. And in US, the iPhone-4 is now FREE with 2 years carrier contract, 4S is 99$ with contract and iPhone-5 is 199$ with contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
only the iPhone 4 8GB is available, which is going for 37,500/- (but i got one for 35,400/- for wifey). iPhone 4S 16GB is selling for 44,500/- the last i checked.

now that the iPhone 5 has been launched, they'll stop iPhone 4 and limit iPhone 4S to 8GB (like they did with iP4 when iP4S was launched).
IPhone 4S 16GB apple unlocked is for 31000 INR in the US. A great buy at this price. If someone can carry it from US, it is a value buy considering it is still retailing for 44000 in India.

4S does not have a 8 GB version, so I dont think they will sell 4S with 8 GB.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:53   #4944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Open maps in safari and it will give you app shortcut which will resolve the issue to a great extend. Even routing also and surprisingly its showing traffic in some routes too
even Google Maps Apps itself shows the Direction & Traffic. But not the Navigation.
Will try with Safari.
Old 14th September 2012, 17:56   #4945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Thats because navfree requires a stronger gps reception than others. Why dont you buy sygic, its a one time investment and it works flawlessly and gives the most no of POIs and also does not use your net connection.
Hey Thanks!

I have tried it everywhere - in the car, outside under open sky, with/without the case, every damn thing - None Worked !!

I wanted to buy sygic, but felt buying a proper gps unit altogether would be beneficial instead of it, hence opted against. Will try and work it out.
Old 14th September 2012, 18:10   #4946
Team-BHP Support

Booked mine couple of hours back , unlocked version on Canadian stores !
Old 14th September 2012, 18:47   #4947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
4S does not have a 8 GB version, so I dont think they will sell 4S with 8 GB.
IIRC, iPhone 4 also didn't have a 8GB version until iP4S was launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Installed iOS 6 and it indeed is a big step backward.
where did you get iOS 6 from?
Old 14th September 2012, 19:05   #4948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Booked mine couple of hours back , unlocked version on Canadian stores !
Congratulations! How much??
Currently the pre-order section seems to be down for update on the Apple site.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:21   #4949
Senior - BHPian

Slightly OT
Quote:
After Steve Job's demise, most of the Apple innovations seem to be coming from Apple lawyers, trying to find new reasons to sue competitors.

Post Jobs, there is nobody in the entire industry with his Chutzpah.
Watched the Keynote in one sitting from home, Tim Cook was trying so hard to copy Steve Jobs' mannerisms. Except for one or two most other seemed nervous & lacked the confidence which they showed with Steve around, may it was his fear or whatever, nobody stuttered as much in previous key notes as this one.

But seriously Tim, be original. Overall the keynote was nice & highlighted the new features nicely in a typical Apple way.

Btw liked the new range of iPods

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th September 2012 at 19:22.
Old 14th September 2012, 19:51   #4950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
where did you get iOS 6 from?
Instructions given here :-)

http://www.cultofmac.com/173666/how-...loper-account/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks