Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 19:58   #4786
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
Well i was wanting to know about DELHI .. I would never ask this question if it was Singapore.
What I mean is, it could be the same case, and hence the reason for them not to replace the handset with a new one immediately (you mentioned there were new pieces available in the showroom).
Old 31st July 2012, 21:31   #4787
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

I am in a hurry and hence posting (was not able to go through the entire thread). My cousin is coming down from the US permanently and i was wondering whether i can ask him to get an Iphone 4S from there. It seems they are available for 200 US$ approx but locked with a AT&T Contract.

1 - My question is, if i get that down to Mumbai, can i get it unlocked in some way where all the features are accessible on a Vodafone Network.
2 - Do we require a Micro SIM for it and can that be provided by Vodafone in Mumbai.
3 - Even if its unlocked, will i able to use it as a Normal phone where i can change the SIM Cards.

Please let me know if this can be done. My cousin will come down in 2 weeks from now.

Many Thanks.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:35   #4788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici

1 - My question is, if i get that down to Mumbai, can i get it unlocked in some way where all the features are accessible on a Vodafone Network.
More info required. Baseband/Modem firmware version, IOS. Also, if the contract with AT&T has expired, you can get it locked through AT&T itself.

One of my friends got an iPhone 4S, bought from Craig's list, factory unlocked for 3.5K.

P.S: if it is through Craig's list, I suggest you get the name, address and phone number of the person from whom the phone is purchased. This way, if the contract has expired, you can provide the necessary info to AT&T and get it unlocked for free.

Quote:
2 - Do we require a Micro SIM for it and can that be provided by Vodafone in Mumbai.
Yes & Yes

Quote:
3 - Even if its unlocked, will i able to use it as a Normal phone where i can change the SIM Cards.
Didn't get the question.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:45   #4789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
More info required. Baseband/Modem firmware version, IOS. Also, if the contract with AT&T has expired, you can get it locked through AT&T itself.

One of my friends got an iPhone 4S, bought from Craig's list, factory unlocked for 3.5K.

P.S: if it is through Craig's list, I suggest you get the name, address and phone number of the person from whom the phone is purchased. This way, if the contract has expired, you can provide the necessary info to AT&T and get it unlocked for free.

Yes & Yes

Didn't get the question.
Thanks for your response.

No idea about the firmware etc. IOS should be the latest one i guess.

My cousin is coming down in 2 weeks, so i asked him to purchase a new Iphone 4S and a new Iphone4S comes with a contract from AT&T, Sprint or Verizon for 199$. If he buys that phone now on contract and gets it here, will i be able to unlock it and use it in Mumbai with a Vodafone SIM. So ideally, the contract wont get expired until maybe a year or 2 as per the purchase agreement in US, but i still want to use it here since the price is very low. I read a few articles about unlocking but not really sure whether they actually work and hence wanted users opinions on the same.

Regarding the last question. If such a phone is brought here and eventually unlocked, can i use various SIMs as and when required or will it again be locked to the Vodafone SIM i will be using in Mumbai (meaning i cant use another SIM of another operator)

Help

Last edited by Desmosedici : 31st July 2012 at 22:47.
Old 31st July 2012, 23:00   #4790
BHPian

Quote:

My cousin is coming down in 2 weeks, so i asked him to purchase a new Iphone 4S and a new Iphone4S comes with a contract from AT&T, Sprint or Verizon for 199$.
Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers. I suggest you get it from AT&T.

As I said, here in Hyderabad, one of my friends got his brand new iPhone 4S unlocked. Also, he helped few of my other friends to get their 3GS and iPhone 4 unlocked. I'll ask him if it's possible to unlock the newer base bands (I'm sure it can be but I just want to re confirm).

It cost them around 3.5 K per phone. That's a factory unlock which means you can upgrade the OS, when released by Apple, without any further unlocking required. Permanent unlock, in simple terms.

Quote:

Regarding the last question. If such a phone is brought here and eventually unlocked, can i use various SIMs as and when required or will it again be locked to the Vodafone SIM i will be using in Mumbai (meaning i cant use another SIM of another operator)
:
Once unlocked, it'll be like any other phone. You will be able to use SIM provided by any GSM operator.
Old 31st July 2012, 23:11   #4791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers. I suggest you get it from AT&T.

As I said, here in Hyderabad, one of my friends got his brand new iPhone 4S unlocked. Also, he helped few of my other friends to get their 3GS and iPhone 4 unlocked. I'll ask him if it's possible to unlock the newer base bands (I'm sure it can be but I just want to re confirm).

It cost them around 3.5 K per phone. That's a factory unlock which means you can upgrade the OS, when released by Apple, without any further unlocking required. Permanent unlock, in simple terms.

Once unlocked, it'll be like any other phone. You will be able to use SIM provided by any GSM operator.
Wow, now thats some positive news i got. i dont mind spending 3k locally as anyways i am getting the phone for cheap so. i just wanted to confirm that this has been done before and users are not experiencing any issues.

Could you also ask your friend how he got it unlocked, from where etc just to get an idea. Did he purchase any software that unlocks the phone or just gave it to the local mobile shop guys who did the unlock for him.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Old 31st July 2012, 23:22   #4792
BHPian

Quote:

Could you also ask your friend how he got it unlocked, from where etc just to get an idea. Did he purchase any software that unlocks the phone or just gave it to the local mobile shop guys who did the unlock for him.
I'm not Sure. I'll update you tomorrow.
Old 1st August 2012, 10:44   #4793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Hi,

I am in a hurry and hence posting (was not able to go through the entire thread). My cousin is coming down from the US permanently and i was wondering whether i can ask him to get an Iphone 4S from there. It seems they are available for 200 US$ approx but locked with a AT&T Contract.

Please let me know if this can be done. My cousin will come down in 2 weeks from now.

Many Thanks.
The thing to ask is - Is your cousin willing to sign up a contract with AT&T, then break it without paying the ETF, and willing to ruin his/her credit ratings.
Old 1st August 2012, 14:14   #4794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
The thing to ask is - Is your cousin willing to sign up a contract with AT&T, then break it without paying the ETF, and willing to ruin his/her credit ratings.
Hi,

My cousin is coming back for good. He wont be going back and settling there so i guess it wont be any issue but thanks for letting know, that was something i was not aware of.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:34   #4795
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,

My cousin is coming back for good. He wont be going back and settling there so i guess it wont be any issue but thanks for letting know, that was something i was not aware of.
I don't think that's a very good idea.
Old 1st August 2012, 21:48   #4796
BHPian

Quote:

Wow, now thats some positive news i got. i dont mind spending 3k locally as anyways i am getting the phone for cheap so. i just wanted to confirm that this has been done before and users are not experiencing any issues.

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Its very easy to unlock an iphone..google it or check out redmondpie.com .
I unlocked my friend's iphone using it.
Or you can get it unlocked from the market.In delhi its done for around 1.5k

Last edited by k2max6 : 1st August 2012 at 21:49.
Old 1st August 2012, 22:14   #4797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think that's a very good idea.
Why, Would there be any serious issues. I am not aware so it would be great if you could explain please.
Old 2nd August 2012, 01:42   #4798
BHPian

Quote:

Why, Would there be any serious issues. I am not aware so it would be great if you could explain please.
Because, in USA, most of the phones are subsidized by carrier. In other words, carrier pays market price to handset maker but sell it at a lower cost to consumer. In return, consumer has to sign a 2 years contract that includes mandatory data plan (usually 30$ a month). That way, carrier can re-coup the loss that it took by selling phone at a cheaper price. So, market price for iPhone 4S is approx. 600$ and AT&T is giving you at 200. Now, you are contracted with AT&T for 2 years. If you have to break contract, you have to pay hefty penalty. Now if you don't break contract and just move back to India, then it's a Crime/Fraud.

I would not do that even if my intention is to never go back.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 2nd August 2012 at 01:43.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:43   #4799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Now if you don't break contract and just move back to India, then it's a Crime/Fraud.

I would not do that even if my intention is to never go back.
+1 Nitrous Power.

I would suggest you talk to your cousin and ask him what his plans are. I'm pretty sure he knows the consequences.

My sister took an iPhone under AT&T contract and I stole the phone from her . The contract expires in January 2013 and hence she is still with AT&T.

You could also ask your cousin to check out for unlocked phones (Used/New) on Craigslist.com. I got an iphone 4 (7 months old- factory unlocked), 3GS (1 year old- Jailbroken, SIM unlocked) for $300 and $110 respectively. Both were in perfect condition with no scratches or issues what so ever. That was a real steal.

P.S: If you are getting it from Craigslist, make sure you check the phone before you buy. Look out for Scratches, if it works with different carriers (try with T-Mobile SIM and AT&T SIM; that should do the trick), touch etcetera.
Old 2nd August 2012, 13:07   #4800
BHPian

I got an almost new 3 month old gevey sim unlocked iphone 4 a year back for 450$. I got it from craiglist. If you are in LA I can give you the contact of that person he is very trustworthy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks