Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 12:32   #4741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san

(OT)Well said. This happens everywhere though. Gadgets (or cars) for me are for personal convenience and not something to show off the status. Just for that reason, I don't go by status value or brand premium for my purchases.
Such people like you(& I) are a rarity these days who buy gadgets or cars for convenience.

About the Note ive seen far too many people using it and frankly with the S pen functionality it serves all my purposes and fits my day to day need without any hiccups. The Note is a wonderful phone once you get used to the size. And sir it fits the pocket very easily without making a bulge.

Quote:
Edit: Is the timeline for iPhone 5 release (Sep 2012) a confirmed one?
Hopefully yes. but verizon now hints at a Q4 release which ive no mood for. Really wish iPhone 5 starts shipping by september end. Anyway prices in India will be prohibitively high and i might as well get myself the re'S'olutionary iPad
Apple India when will you learn to stop this prohibitive pricing strategy?
Old 22nd July 2012, 20:49   #4742
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread

Aircel is giving away 3GS for 10K. Don't know the fine print. Do check it out.

Apple iPhone 3GS now available for Rs 9,999 - Tech News - IBNLive
Old 22nd July 2012, 23:05   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
Aircel is giving away 3GS for 10K. Don't know the fine print. Do check it out.

Apple iPhone 3GS now available for Rs 9,999 - Tech News - IBNLive
Attractive offer. Especially for gifting your family to make the entire userbase on iOS. Beneficial for me.
Users of Aircel How good is the network in Bangalore?

Thanks.
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:24   #4744
BHPian

3GS is 3year old product and still if you are buying it from Aircel, please read this TOS from them.

Quote:
Once the online payment is placed successfully, a sales representative from Aircel will visit you within 4 business days to get the form signed & collect the required documents and Rs.3000 in cash for plan activation. Following are the requirements:
At the time when Aircel’s sales representative visits you, you need to hand over Rs.3000 in cash for the bundled data plan. The sales representative will issue you a receipt of Rs. 3000
Once the paper-work is completed & money has been collected, the handset will be shipped to you within 5 to 7 business days
If the paperwork & other parameters are not met, the sales representative will not collect Rs.3000 from you & the amount paid ONLINE today will be refunded within 3 to 5 business days without any deduction.
Old 24th July 2012, 17:21   #4745
Senior - BHPian

Is the offer good, because i am thinking of the same and even submitted the paper work, he said i can hand over the 3000 during handset delivery. they are doing the verification tomorrow.
Please let me know, if not good while doing the verification i can tell them that i am not interested in the iphone.

I am only worried about the iphone 3gs being an old product, a sub standard processor and a not so great screen resolution. but if it is an incredible value for money, i will pick it up. Is it a VFM product for 9,990 ?
Old 24th July 2012, 17:40   #4746
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Is the offer good, because i am thinking of the same and even submitted the paper work, he said i can hand over the 3000 during handset delivery. they are doing the verification tomorrow.
Please let me know, if not good while doing the verification i can tell them that i am not interested in the iphone.

I am only worried about the iphone 3gs being an old product, a sub standard processor and a not so great screen resolution. but if it is an incredible value for money, i will pick it up. Is it a VFM product for 9,990 ?
I am not sure how good the offer is. But as far as the phone is concerned, I would recommend to stay away. I mean, 3GS is already a couple of generations old. You may get comparable/newer products in the same price range. My opinion is, if you really want an iphone, atleast start with an iPhone 4.
Old 24th July 2012, 17:59   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov
What might be VFM for me not be for everyone around. If this is for your own use then think of apps you will use and the data you will use for the package provided. If this is the first iPhone for you, then stay away, do not mess the experience of an iPhone. I agree to vb-san that its old tech but if you are to come to party with iPhone 4S then right now you need to pay thrice as much or even more.
I recommend the this iteration for corporates that use iOS App customized to them and to people who wish to complete the complete family under iOS umbrella. Apps are now retina display specs that means not every app will run great on 3GS. But the only great part is that Apple disclosed that 3GS will also be included for iOS 6.

Hope this helps!
Old 24th July 2012, 19:39   #4748
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I am not sure how good the offer is. But as far as the phone is concerned, I would recommend to stay away. I mean,
3GS is already a couple of generations old. You may get comparable/newer products in the same price range. My opinion is, if you really want an iphone, atleast start with an iPhone 4.
I have no idea of the offer. I just saw it and hence posted. Meanwhile, 3GS is also available at 22K unlocked, while the 4S starts at 44K and IP4 starts at 34K.
Now if one wants a convergent Apple device at 22K, 3GS is definitely good (and latest IOS also applies to it I think).

I do agree that at 22K, you get much better handsets in the Android world with faster CPU and more RAM. (I myself got an better Android at that Price!)
But if one wants to stick to Apple, 3GS is still good.

Last edited by ampere : 24th July 2012 at 19:40.
Old 24th July 2012, 22:17   #4749
Senior - BHPian

I already have an android and was planning to upgrade to a high end android phone when this offer pop'd up. I feel it is incredible value for money at 10K. the problem is I don't trust that feeling. There has to be catch if they are selling it for so low, apart from aircel getting an increase in the customer base, i cant see how they could manage their profits. They are selling factory unlocked units, just doesn't make sense.

Plans are kind of ok. You pay 3k upfront for a 1 year advanced rental that has lot of minutes / calls / texts and data bundled. So for a year, you basically don't have to pay anything if you are within your quota.

Yes, this would be the first venture to the world of iphones, although not new to mac.
Old 24th July 2012, 23:21   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov
I already have an android and was planning to upgrade to a high end android phone when this offer pop'd up. I feel it is incredible value for money at 10K. the problem is I don't trust that feeling. There has to be catch if they are selling it for so low, apart from aircel getting an increase in the customer base, i cant see how they could manage their profits. They are selling factory unlocked units, just doesn't make sense.

Yes, this would be the first venture to the world of iphones, although not new to mac.
Like others have suggested above if this is your first iPhone then better to get the 4 or 4s model. This offer is actually good for people who want everyone in their family under a single ecosystem. Id say its best for gifting to kids, since they will be very happy with getting an iPhone.
Old 25th July 2012, 11:05   #4751
BHPian

I have been using an iPhone 3GS for over 2 years, and if you compare the phones that you get for the same price, this is an incredible value. the 3GS iPhone is by far much better than any phone in that price bracket.

I do not know if it is an unlocked phone, and if it is, then just don't hesitate on the phone. I am not sure of the consistency of the Aircel network though. Here in Bangalore, the network is pretty poor. Had the network been good, I would have bought it right away.

Prajwal
Old 25th July 2012, 13:28   #4752
BHPian

Just picked it up yesterday here in Bombay. Walked into an Aircel retail outlet, had my PAN card, photo and landline telephone bill. Carry originals they're a bit fussy on that.

Paid 13k cash and walked out an hour later with an unlocked 3GS 8GB on 5.1.1. I'm not using the SIM so I don't really care about the network. I year Apple warranty.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:11   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjew View Post
Just picked it up yesterday here in Bombay. Walked into an Aircel retail outlet, had my PAN card, photo and landline telephone bill. Carry originals they're a bit fussy on that.

Paid 13k cash and walked out an hour later with an unlocked 3GS 8GB on 5.1.1. I'm not using the SIM so I don't really care about the network. I year Apple warranty.
good to hear somebody's real time purchase of this offer.
if you are not using SIM then for what purpose you are using your iphone?
Old 25th July 2012, 14:16   #4754
BHPian

I meant I'm not using the Aircel SIM, using my current SIM from Airtel, popped it in and everything worked fine within a couple of minutes. 3G Data roaming, WiFi etc. I activated it over WiFi, haven't plugged it into iTunes yet.
Old 25th July 2012, 14:26   #4755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky

good to hear somebody's real time purchase of this offer.
if you are not using SIM then for what purpose you are using your iphone?
Yes why wouldn't he use the data plan and free Internet? Aircel has good connectivity in most cities as I heard? Else an iPod touch with retina display would be a better buy

Most Viewed