Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2013, 21:54   #6286
BHPian

Can I have separate folder for whatsaap images, where it gets saved directly, like we have in Android?
Old 19th September 2013, 22:20   #6287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
one word - flawless! in fact, i kinda feel that the phone is a bit faster
Same here. The new UI is growing on me. And seems snappier.

Quote:
why does it show Mobile for you and Cellular for me? is this because of the language selected?
No idea. But I remember seeing the name Cellular before. It probably became 'Mobile' after the 6.1.3 update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Nope. iPhone starts searching for names as you type. Thus when you type letter M, it would list out all names containing M anywhere in the name. And when you had type MA, it will show all names containing consecutive letters MA. Thus it searches within names and not names with starting letters.
What Akshay said is also true. It also searches within any additional fields you have added for the particular contact, like email address, notes, etc.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:37   #6288
BHPian

Overall a fresh look, but looks like apple borrowed cues from android & windows 8 which makes me feel less "appleish". Some effects seem good but whereas I miss how deleted emails and photos go to the trash can. Now it does not have a smooth flow but slightly more abrupt closure and movement overall. Also dint like how the songs appear in landscape look and miss the decline option for calls while in screen lock mode. The white border for photos is also not to my taste. I think it may be more of getting used to, but somehow does not like apple UI to look like android or windows 8. Also now I need to train my thumb to go to the RHS of the screen to delete emails et al.

Last edited by shinuak : 19th September 2013 at 22:38.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:49   #6289
gemi_kk

Re: The iPhone Thread

Yo Tim !! This is bad man.
You could have asked me to pay for using your IOS. i am ready to shell out couple of $$ every year for IOS.

This new IOS 7 is ugly man. Please give me my old IOS.

Couple of bad things i have noticed till now.
- The compass shows east as west and vice versa. Is it with my phone only?
- The applications are too slow. (Acceptable for some with better hardware)
- You have copied things from windows too !! Copying from android is acceptable. but, Man, windows hardly have some market share. And now, you started stealing features from them too in the name of innovation ?
- Tell me one thing. Why you are showing the date in recent calls for current day. Who would be interested in date man!! Everyone, who uses phone knows that, the top couple of calls were made on the same day. i want the old time that you used to show in recent calls. For yesterday calls, showing date/yesterday is fine.
- Why does the recent call list lags when trying to scroll ?
- Iphone display is capable of showing some 400 + nits of brightness and the whole world agrees. But it doesn't mean that you need to make the OS show everything brighter.
- Reduce the size of these icons man !! they look a bit big for this kinda OS.
- The old "stocks" application was too beautiful. It was a brilliant age old design. Simply awesome. You were successful in making it look crooked. A big thumbs down for you for making it too ugly. Also would you mind telling us how you simplified the design, cutting all corners and making the application lag like anything?
- Where is the option to enable 3g from the so called Control centre. Who would put their phones in Airplane mode everyday man!! This button could be used to disable/enable 3G. Also, why would one need portrait mode lock in so called Control centre? Iphone doesn't support transferring files over bluetooth, so who would use it so often? And why it is in control centre. I haven't used BT on iphone till date and it makes its place in Control centre. Why isnt it customizable? Android did not allow?
- The Time and Battery % are not clearly visible in this new OS. White font + Mostly bright colored wallpapers. Not a good choice.
- You were successful in spoiling the look and feel of the old calculator. This new one is BAD.
- Why blue colored folders? why not a darker shade? or why not let the user choose what he wants?
- Safari Lags too. read some reviews that Safari is faster on new OS. And they are wrong. This was one of reasons, why i updated my phone.
- Seems like volume level has gone a notch down. Not sure on this.
- You were so good in spoiling too many good things in one shot. I am sure that you would have screwed the battery life too. i shall update soon on this.

Some good points.
- The graphics are good. When one unlocks his phone.
- New android's unlock screen.
- Thanks for giving me a useless Control centre.

Thats it. There isn't any other good about IOS 7.

Now, i understood the beauty of Scott's work.

Eve, i would be very happy, if you could have provided the old OS look with the new graphics rather than with this bright ugly looking, lagging, duckling, ..... OS.

Tim, you could have avoided giving IOS 7 to iphone 4's. At Least, you could have saved some people from becoming ***

Past is past. Lets Jailbreak or jump onto Android boat. Apple bangaya Pineapple....

Last edited by gemi_kk : 19th September 2013 at 23:01. Reason: adding value

Old 19th September 2013, 23:06   #6290
Senior - BHPian

iOS 7. The ONE thing that Apple did i.e. the Icon & Layout Design, I didn't like :(

It looks like some Chinese toy!

Atleast functionality is more sorted like Android.

lol Apple can't even copy properly! useless fellows...

Edit : Using iPad Mini. Btw, mine took a good 20+ mins to update. What about y'all?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 19th September 2013 at 23:10.
Old 20th September 2013, 06:03   #6291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raviacc2825 View Post
Can I have separate folder for whatsaap images, where it gets saved directly, like we have in Android?
If you meant having a separate folder under photos, it is possible. iOS 7 allows you to create albums. Create a separate album for what's app images and save the images there
Old 20th September 2013, 07:46   #6292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Edit : Using iPad Mini. Btw, mine took a good 20+ mins to update. What about y'all?
I'm downloading via iTunes. It is showing good 2 hours for download.
Old 20th September 2013, 08:31   #6293
Team-BHP Support

Got the update done on my iPad mini yesterday. It took around 15 mins to complete (over WiFi). Initial impression –did not like the new look. The colour scheme does not look very pleasing. Probably because I got so used to the old interface and it may take some time to bed in. That said, I like the Control Centre, updates to Safari, and also the multitasking bit.
Old 20th September 2013, 08:39   #6294
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I've updated both compatible I devices last night. It took me two hours approx for two devices while I was watching TV. I really like the user interface. Unfortunately my iPod touch can't support iOS7 and has stopped upgrading itself post 6.1.3. My Folks I devices too will receive their upgrades to iOS7 today. Bottom line- the aesthetics of iOS7 and the functionality too are excellent in my opinion. Nice Job by Jobs's boys....
Old 20th September 2013, 09:20   #6295
BHPian

Another flawless update. Done on iPhone4.
Asked for about 3gb free space before update began. Zero manual intervention till the point where it asks for user agreement. With BSNL 2mbps from start to finish it took 2hrs45min. Went through download, Prepare, Verify, Reboot, Install... steps with no drama.

Same done for iPad2 as well and took slightly lesser time.

Look and feel is ok-ayish, will take time to appreciate and get used to. Control center is welcome and much useful. Still to explore more. Doesn't feel any extra sluggish so far.
Some app updates which were pending for few days in the iPhone is kinda stuck now. Seems a non issue. Should be sorted out when I am back at home wifi.
Old 20th September 2013, 13:11   #6296
BHPian

iOS 7 bug enables user to bypass lockscreen, send emails and status updates. Apple concedes the bug, so look out for 7.0.2 soon.

From Engadget 'A keen-eyed user found a way to bypass the passcode-protected lockscreen and gain access to the device's photos app, giving him the ability to hijack the email or social network account associated with that device. Essentially, you access the alarm clock through Control Center, make your way into the multitasking menu and head into the camera app from there. '

The easiest way to avoid this concern is to disable the ability to access Control Center from the lockscreen (this can be found in the settings)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-bug/
Cheers
Old 20th September 2013, 13:51   #6297
BHPian

Upgraded my iPhone5 to iOS7. There is no considerable improvement in the speed. Yet to try out all features. I am interested to know the battery comsumption pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
iOS 7 bug enables user to bypass lockscreen, send emails and status updates. Apple concedes the bug, so look out for 7.0.2 soon.

The easiest way to avoid this concern is to disable the ability to access Control Center from the lockscreen (this can be found in the settings)

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/19/ios-7-bug/
Cheers
Thank you Juggy, I tried to follow the video, but couldn't complete. Are you able to bypass the lock screen.? Will do a detailed try later in the day, currently at office

Thanks
Rajesh

Last edited by RajeshK : 20th September 2013 at 13:52.
Old 20th September 2013, 14:50   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Where is the option to enable 3g from the so called Control centre. Who would put their phones in Airplane mode everyday man!! This button could be used to disable/enable 3G. Also, why would one need portrait mode lock in so called Control centre? Iphone doesn't support transferring files over bluetooth, so who would use it so often? And why it is in control centre. I haven't used BT on iphone till date and it makes its place in Control centre. Why isnt it customizable?....
I agree with 3G... Must in control center! BT is equally important for anyone using a BT headset. It was a pain before, it should be very very easy and useful now
Old 20th September 2013, 15:52   #6299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post

Thank you Juggy, I tried to follow the video, but couldn't complete. Are you able to bypass the lock screen.?

Rajesh
No, Rajesh. Haven't updated any of my devices yet. But tried it on a friend's 4s. Maybe the lag at step 4 helps, but try these steps instead of the 'Alarm' app.

1. Open camera app from lock-screen (it should appear in the recent apps list).
2. Open 'control centre'. (Has to be enabled on lock-screen).
3. Hold power button till the 'power off' screen appears.
4. Tap 'cancel' while double-clicking 'home' button.
5. Multitasking menu appears, and you can select the 'camera'. You now have access to photos on the device.
6. If you share a photo, you access the email apps or social media & contacts.

Mostly embarrassing as a similar exploit was fixed in 'beta'. With 5S out today and people able to bypass TouchID out of the box.

Could also exploit the much touted 'Activation Lock' feature, if someone could conceivably 'wipe' your phone through this.
Old 20th September 2013, 16:05   #6300
Senior - BHPian

literally, every iPhone user today!

The iPhone Thread-531908_10151686275501840_193303184_n.jpg

courtesy: 9GAG.COM

ps: there might be exceptions

Most Viewed