Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2012, 23:29   #4276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
I just have my iPhone 4S 32 GB since 3 days. Would you guys recommend an upgrade to iOS 5.1? Reading from your experiences, looks like update is the way to go.
Answer for your query as well as others. In earlier OS, you need to connect to itunes to upgrade your OS software. But in ios 5.0.1 & above, it's available in the Phone itself.
Just go to Settings>General>Software Update. The rest is done by the Phone itself. You can check, now & then, for any updates.
Old 11th March 2012, 23:33   #4277
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

So I have to go to the Apple Store for a download- ok.

Regards
Depending on when you purchased it, the 4s comes with 5.x.x. Mine came with 5.0.0. Your phone is probably 5.0.1.

To update go to Settings --> General --> Software Update. You would need to be latched onto a WiFi connection for this large download of about 179 MB. Be patient, it takes 30-60 minutes for the update to complete.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 01:27   #4278
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

How is the battery life on your iPhone 4S running 5.0.1? My phone is loosing 5% every hour with all the other radio's, 3G, GPS, Wifi and bluetooth off! Shall I update it to 5.1 in which case how is the battery life on 5.1 then?
Old 12th March 2012, 08:05   #4279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Depending on when you purchased it, the 4s comes with 5.x.x. Mine came with 5.0.0. Your phone is probably 5.0.1.

To update go to Settings --> General --> Software Update. You would need to be latched onto a WiFi connection for this large download of about 179 MB. Be patient, it takes 30-60 minutes for the update to complete.

Cheers!
>>>
R2D2,

I checked the version - it is 5.0.1. However I do not have a Wi-Fi connexion, so will likely use the net to download. And for some reason, the phone is unable to connect to the software upgrade although cellular data is on.

Regards
Old 12th March 2012, 08:08   #4280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys,

How is the battery life on your iPhone 4S running 5.0.1? My phone is loosing 5% every hour with all the other radio's, 3G, GPS, Wifi and bluetooth off! Shall I update it to 5.1 in which case how is the battery life on 5.1 then?
>>>

If I do not use the phone at all, the battery lasts a little beyond 24 hours. If I visit t-bhp, fb and do messaging (SMS), the battery lasts for a little over 10 hours; this when I connect to the net for barely one hour. Coming from the Nokia battery experience, the 4S battery is not comparable at all.

Regards
Old 12th March 2012, 08:46   #4281
BHPian

Just upgraded my 4S to 5.1 !

- No noticeable difference in battery life. It still gives me 8-9 Hrs with my normal usage pattern
- I used to have the 'No Service' issue which was resolved with this as the baseband is upgraded to 2.0.10
- The default camera icon is now permanent on the lock screen. (Swipe up to open the camera app and down to get back to lock screen)
- Volume when played via headphones has reduced.
Old 12th March 2012, 10:03   #4282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

If I do not use the phone at all, the battery lasts a little beyond 24 hours. If I visit t-bhp, fb and do messaging (SMS), the battery lasts for a little over 10 hours; this when I connect to the net for barely one hour. Coming from the Nokia battery experience, the 4S battery is not comparable at all.

Regards
There is something wrong with your phone's battery. I have a 3GS running iOS 5.0.1, I easily get a standby time of 48 hours if used sparingly. With heavy usage the phone runs for about 12 hours.
Old 12th March 2012, 10:54   #4283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
There is something wrong with your phone's battery. I have a 3GS running iOS 5.0.1, I easily get a standby time of 48 hours if used sparingly. With heavy usage the phone runs for about 12 hours.
You can't compare battery life in the 3GS and 4S - two very different phones from the hardware point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Regards
Issigonis, your phone is brand new. The battery will take a while and a few charge/discharge cycles to come up to its max capacity. Nothing to worry about just yet. When the phone is a few weeks old, use the phone without charging till the battery drains and the phone shuts off. And then let the battery charge preferably overnight.

As for battery life, I need to be specific - I do not let the battery drain completely (bad for batt life) and charge when the battery is between 40-50% or higher.

That said, I get approx 24 hours with moderate use (phone, internet, text, messenger) and 36-40 hours with light use (low talk time on phone, low internet and texting and no messenger).

I see a slight improvement, not much, in battery life after the upgrade to 5.1.

Regards,
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 11:45   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2

You can't compare battery life in the 3GS and 4S - two very different phones from the hardware point of view.
Since the new model has better battery I thought it should perform much better than 3GS. When I migrated to iOS 5.0.1 I was expecting not so good battery life on my phone, but after using it for couple of months I don't see any difference
Old 12th March 2012, 11:53   #4285
Senior - BHPian

Where can I buy iPad 3 16GB + 4G cheaper compare to US. Someone told, it's from Hong kong, some suggested Australia.
Anyone can tell me the exact country to buy it. I am planning to purchase it in a month.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:07   #4286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik
Where can I buy iPad 3 16GB + 4G cheaper compare to US. Someone told, it's from Hong kong, some suggested Australia.
Anyone can tell me the exact country to buy it. I am planning to purchase it in a month.
It's cheapest in US. Depends on the exchange rate at a given time.
I would recommend more space than 4G connection if you are in India. 3G traction isn't good forget 4G. I have 64GB iPad 2 and I am always short on space it's addictive and a whole lot fun if you have more space to play around.

A Canadian friend who has 4G LTE available to him vouch for the speeds but thinks its not too much a deal breaker unless working with huge files. Again there are so many versions of 4G that you need to be careful of choosing your device (read AT&T vs Sprint). Enjoy!
Old 12th March 2012, 12:28   #4287
BHPian

Guys, another way to extend battery life is by ending all applications that might be running in the background.

To do this:
1. Double click on the "Home" button (multitasking).

2. On doing so, all the contents of the screen move up.

3. You now get to see all the app that are running in the background.
4. By holding down any of these apps for more than a second, a "minimize"
symbol in a "Red" circle appears at the corner of each app.
5. Hit this symbol to end all "Running" apps. Until you reach this:

In my opinion, the battery last upto 40% longer ie. 3-4 hours longer.
Attached Images

Last edited by speed kills : 12th March 2012 at 12:32.
speed kills is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 12:32   #4288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Since the new model has better battery I thought it should perform much better than 3GS. When I migrated to iOS 5.0.1 I was expecting not so good battery life on my phone, but after using it for couple of months I don't see any difference
The 3GS and 4S are two very different 'horses' albeit from the same stable.

The IP4S is of a magnitude more powerful than the 3GS in all areas of hardware but especially in the CPU and video - video accelerator and display areas.

Although they have added a bigger and better battery, more efficient hardware, the claimed increase in standby and talk time is quite frankly only in Apple's test labs.

Given the enormous improvements in the hardware I can forgive the 4S for a only a satisfactory (to me) battery life. The days when I could charge my simple Nokia phone only once in 4 days are long gone.

Cheers!
Old 12th March 2012, 12:35   #4289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
It's cheapest in US. Depends on the exchange rate at a given time.
I would recommend more space than 4G connection if you are in India. 3G traction isn't good forget 4G. I have 64GB iPad 2 and I am always short on space it's addictive and a whole lot fun if you have more space to play around.

A Canadian friend who has 4G LTE available to him vouch for the speeds but thinks its not too much a deal breaker unless working with huge files. Again there are so many versions of 4G that you need to be careful of choosing your device (read AT&T vs Sprint). Enjoy!
Already I am using 32GB iPhone4. Only 25% of the space is utilized.
Hence i planned to go for 16GB+ 4G thinking of Future usage.
In my native, I've been getting 11mbps 3G speed and in Chennai, It's lesser than 5Mbps. Both are relatively OK for my usage.
SO US is cheaper.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:53   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik

Already I am using 32GB iPhone4. Only 25% of the space is utilized.
Hence i planned to go for 16GB+ 4G thinking of Future usage.
In my native, I've been getting 11mbps 3G speed and in Chennai, It's lesser than 5Mbps. Both are relatively OK for my usage.
SO US is cheaper.
Wow! 11 Mbps on 3G what carrier is that? I am on Reliance and barely get 3mbps.
Remember times are changing. If you read a book on iPhone it used to be about couple of Mb. Now an interactive book is itself 250mb and beyond. I am in business of conversion of these ePub books to iBooks and thus I recommend looking at future.

The video will look stunning better than your LED panel so you will want to have more of your fav movies on the iPad and so on,

IPad 2 is already capable of doing 21 Mbps but our operators do not let it, 4G will come sooner or later but what version make it to our shores is also debatable.

Happy shopping. Cheers!

Most Viewed