Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:39   #4156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

Which vlc to mp3 converter should I use to convert all my audio files in order to upload them using iTunes onto the iP4S? Ditto for my video files which are also in the superlative vlc format.

Regards
Don't worry, it's automatic process. VLC is a player and mp3 is a format, I guess you got it mixed. The only thing you need to convert is the avi and your other video library to mp4 format. Don't get confused, as iTunes is simple interface ( restrictive thus a bad reputation).
Old 3rd March 2012, 16:36   #4157
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Don't worry, it's automatic process. VLC is a player and mp3 is a format, I guess you got it mixed. The only thing you need to convert is the avi and your other video library to mp4 format. Don't get confused, as iTunes is simple interface ( restrictive thus a bad reputation).
>>>

Ok. I have kept two folders, one for my audio files and one for YouTube downloads (both played by vlc) for the Apple guys so that they can show me how to convert it. By the way some of the video files are .flv and the rest are .mp4) and some of the audio files are .wma, the rest being .mp3. I hope the Imagine guys will be able to convert them to mp4 & mp3 respectively.

Regards
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:43   #4158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

>>>

Ok. I have kept two folders, one for my audio files and one for YouTube downloads (both played by vlc) for the Apple guys so that they can show me how to convert it. By the way some of the video files are .flv and the rest are .mp4) and some of the audio files are .wma, the rest being .mp3. I hope the Imagine guys will be able to convert them to mp4 & mp3 respectively.

Regards
Yes, so convert all your video files to mp4 format using specific tools (lots of specific free/paid software).
iTunes does the conversion on its own for most audio, it will prompt you if there are files that can't be done. AAC and apple lossless is the format that apple likes
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 15:44   #4159
BHPian

Is the Navigation and its related content display also chargeable form the service provider? Would that also count under data download if I have a Internet flat option? Normally, with an Internet flat for an iPhone 4S, we get a certain amount of download limit for free and once the limit is exceeded for that month, the speed reduces. My question is, if I install a Navigation app and use it heavily, would that also count under the data download? I'm sorry for being stupid here. Please share your thoughts?

Last edited by joe1980 : 4th March 2012 at 15:46.
Old 4th March 2012, 16:54   #4160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I would be really lad to know how you got the turbocharger thingy!
Just search Turbo on Cydia, from modmyi themes. here is a screenshot.
Also note the STI badge instead of the carrier name

The iPhone Thread-img_0076.png
cruiser@0523 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 17:41   #4161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Is the Navigation and its related content display also chargeable form the service provider? Would that also count under data download if I have a Internet flat option? Normally, with an Internet flat for an iPhone 4S, we get a certain amount of download limit for free and once the limit is exceeded for that month, the speed reduces. My question is, if I install a Navigation app and use it heavily, would that also count under the data download? I'm sorry for being stupid here. Please share your thoughts?
I've already mentioned this before in the reply below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2700883

To recap - The Google Maps app comes preloaded and loads map data over a data connection.

Sygic/MMI stores all maps locally on the phone BUT uses a minimal amount of data via your provider possibly to get a lock on your coordinates via AGPS i.e. using the operator's cellular tower location data.

ALL data use whether used for GPS, email, app updates or downloads, multimedia viewing or downloads is chargeable according to your data plan. If you plan to use GPS heavily I would go in for Sygic/MMI. It also has the advantage of being more responsive and is not affected by signal quality.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 17:43   #4162
BHPian

Does the iPhone 4S works only with a micro sim card? If yes, why is this so? I was under the impression that if I buy an IP4S by making a down payment without any contract for a service provider, I can use my existing SIM card and continue using my existing contract. Does the iPhone work with a SIM card or does it work with only the micro SIM card or both?

@R2D2: Thanks for the reply. How does the normal navigation devices work? They have a local copy of the Map data and with the GPS, they do the job. With a Navi device, there is no additional running costs. I would expect the same with my IP4S and Tom Tom. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by joe1980 : 4th March 2012 at 17:46.
Old 4th March 2012, 18:01   #4163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does the iPhone 4S works only with a micro sim card? If yes, why is this so? I was under the impression that if I buy an IP4S by making a down payment without any contract for a service provider, I can use my existing SIM card and continue using my existing contract. Does the iPhone work with a SIM card or does it work with only the micro SIM card or both?
IP4 and IP4s only work with micro sims. As for why - that's a decision Apple made starting with the IP4. It is their design and suprisingly catching on with other mobile mfrs as well.

You will need to buy a sim cutter and carefully cut the normal sim to micro dimensions. doesn't affect you much provided you have a sim cutter and they normally come with adapters that help you use the already cut sim in 'normal' phones.

Quote:
@R2D2: Thanks for the reply. How does the normal navigation devices work? They have a local copy of the Map data and with the GPS, they do the job. With a Navi device, there is no additional running costs. I would expect the same with my IP4S and Tom Tom. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think you need to set your expectations straight. We are talking about 2 different things here - a mobile phone and a personal navigator device (Garmin/Tom Tom). Not comparable directly please, except for the use of navigation capabilities.

PNDs use a local copy everytime so there is no running cost per se except when you need to update the map or buy additional maps for other continents/countries. But map updates and additional maps are paid purchases even on mobile versions of those maps. Some PNDs and apps come with life time free map updates.

BTW, if you are in the EU and plan to use an IP4/IP4s with TomTom app and maps, the same answers apply as mentioned for the Sygic/MMI combination. Map data is stored locally with minimal use of data.

I hope this clarifies - now go get the IP4s!
Old 4th March 2012, 18:27   #4164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

BTW, if you are in the EU and plan to use an IP4/IP4s with TomTom app and maps, the same answers apply as mentioned for the Sygic/MMI combination. Map data is stored locally with minimal use of data.

Thanks for the reply. I have an internet flat rate with my current contract. So I guess the data download will not be a problem. But there is a limit on the internet flat. If the download is more than a certain limit for a month, the speed reduces. Would this affect the navigation's speed and correctness during driving? By the way what has GPS got to do with a network service provider? I understand that the GPS co-ordinates are fetched using the network towers. But how do the navigation device's GPS works? Are they considerably different from the GPS devices on the mobile phones?
Old 4th March 2012, 18:54   #4165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
You will need to buy a sim cutter and carefully cut the normal sim to micro dimensions.
I don't think one needs to buy the sim cutter. I got my iPhone 4 at Univercel and they themselves cut the sim using the cutter and put it in. I guess most outlets selling iPhone 4/4S would have this. Saved me a trip to the Airtel outlet to get a microsim.
Old 4th March 2012, 19:23   #4166
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
I don't think one needs to buy the sim cutter. I got my iPhone 4 at Univercel and they themselves cut the sim using the cutter and put it in. I guess most outlets selling iPhone 4/4S would have this. Saved me a trip to the Airtel outlet to get a microsim.
This is based on my experience. When I got my IP4 in Aug 2010 I had to approach a mobile dealer to get the sim card cut/trimmed. I ported out to Vodafone and they, along with Airtel and Aircel, provide micro sims.

Even today, not all outlets have these cutters but the larger mobile stores would. It may be different in your city. The cutter costs around Rs 200-300 on ebay and is a small investment compared with cost of the phone.

Quote:
the speed reduces. Would this affect the navigation's speed and correctness during driving? By the way what has GPS got to do with a network service provider? But how do the navigation device's GPS works? Are they considerably different from the GPS devices on the mobile phones?
Yes if the speed reduces, the rate at which the maps are updated is affected badly. If you travel to rural or low coverage areas especially without 3G, use a GPS app and loaded maps i.e. Sygic.

As for the mechanics of how GPS and AGPS work that's quite a bit to type out. Two links you may find useful, and you can use additional embedded links on those pages to learn more. Please Google for further info.

Assisted GPS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GPS navigation device - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers,

Last edited by R2D2 : 4th March 2012 at 19:24. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2012, 22:12   #4167
BHPian

Heart says to go for the iPhone 4S but the mind says to wait for the iPhone 5. I would go by what the mind says. Decided to wait for the iPhone 5 which is rumored to be released by October this year. Hopefully by that time my current service provider contract will also be over and I will be free to choose the best option available. So the wait starts!
Old 5th March 2012, 12:53   #4168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
There is a perfectly legal Bluetooth transfer app on App store. No need to jailbreak.
App Store - Bluetooth Photo Share
This app has its limitations though. Works only if the other device has the app installed on it. And is restricted to sharing photos alone. I have tried this between my iPad and the iPhone. A dedicated bluetooth-file sharing option would have been really nice.
Old 5th March 2012, 14:02   #4169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

You will need to buy a sim cutter and carefully cut the normal sim to micro dimensions. doesn't affect you much provided you have a sim cutter and they normally come with adapters that help you use the already cut sim in 'normal' phones.

>>>

1. My existing SIM is too old for a SIM cutter to be effective and if it is cut, I won't be able to use it on my trusty E71; so I have to but a new connexion and so will get a micro SIM by default. Contemplating looking at the 3G plans for it.

2. Done so

3. The iPhone 5 may be launched in October or later and will definitely be priced higher re. the 4S. Moreover LTE will take a few years to gain traction in India- so no point for me to wait for the 5. Also I see a major counterattack coming from the Empire ( Nokia + Windows) with the launch of a rest of the world/India spec variant of the Lumia 900 with Windows 8.

I would rather wait for that dust to settle to bid a fond goodbye to the best phone that I ever had - the E71.

Meanwhile I have the 4S!

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 5th March 2012 at 14:03. Reason: Added a point
Old 5th March 2012, 14:17   #4170
Distinguished - BHPian

on microsims, just a heads up.

If you have something that is actually designed to be an adapter for micro- to regular sim, use it.
however, never ever use the cut-out bit, and put your micro'ed sim in it and use it on a regular slot.
Applicable if you have the bent and sprung Pins type connectors(as in an xperia x1).
not if you have small blimps of raised metal, which dont have any protruding ends.

the sim slides in easy enough, but when you try to take it out, the cut-off bit snags the pins, and basically destroys the phone.
happened to me.

Most Viewed