Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:37   #4396
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Iphone 4 has gone. It is almost two months over. Even IMEI of both phones Iphone and Lava A10 could not help to recover with in this time. Every body talks about IMEI will help to trace the phone. Is it Possible one day or the other it will be found ? I lost the hope.How the police can trace the millions of lost phones with IMEI. Even if the Police initiate, do the service providers are co operate with the police? I don't have the hope of getting and ordered for a Iphone4S 32GB. I will get it on 5th of this month.Once again I will cut my BSNL Sim and start the old fiddling of IPHONE4S in place of IP4.
I dont think Police will be able to trace it but if you had also told your service provider (they will ask for FIR) then they will black list this IMEI. This means that this phone will not be able to latch onto any Network (meaning it becomes useless for the thief).

If that is any consolation, you can do that done. Now whether the service providers in India "actually" do that or not (or just promise you and do nothing) that I am not sure! Somebody insider here can better answer that.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:50   #4397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l
^^ this is not the default screen after Jailbreak. You would need winterboard app installed and activate a theme.

So which is this theme, looks quite neat
Indeed you are right, I just didn't want to get too technical on this in my first post on JAILBREAK.

I am using currently C'UPS theme along with atomic glow lock screen.
Old 3rd April 2012, 12:59   #4398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx

I dont think Police will be able to trace it but if you had also told your service provider (they will ask for FIR) then they will black list this IMEI. This means that this phone will not be able to latch onto any Network (meaning it becomes useless for the thief).

If that is any consolation, you can do that done. Now whether the service providers in India "actually" do that or not (or just promise you and do nothing) that I am not sure! Somebody insider here can better answer that.
My dads lost a couple of phones and the network provider loop and vodafone said all they can do is cancel the number. No IMEI blocking.
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:17   #4399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
My dads lost a couple of phones and the network provider loop and vodafone said all they can do is cancel the number. No IMEI blocking.
Thats what I feared.

Actually if you look at Network architecture, each Network (e.g. Airtel, Vodafone etc) has a very critical component called the EIR (Equipment Identity Register) which is kind of a database of all valid Mobiles that are registered with it, where each Mobile is identified by its IMEI (An IMEI is unique.) An IMEI is marked as invalid if it has been reported stolen, so in the EIR it would be blacklisted. It is theoretically possible to even track down the stolen device if it tries to register to any network once it has been blacklisted.

Looks like either the operators in India dont bother (or dont want to bother) or the customer service is just taking the customer for a ride.
Old 4th April 2012, 07:42   #4400
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes my iPhone 4 doesn't connect to 3G network: can't browse. I'm forced to either switch of & on and remove & reinsert SIM to make it work. Is this normal or do I have to get it checked . I have an Aircel connection.
Old 4th April 2012, 08:14   #4401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
Sometimes my iPhone 4 doesn't connect to 3G network: can't browse. I'm forced to either switch of & on and remove & reinsert SIM to make it work. Is this normal or do I have to get it checked . I have an Aircel connection.
I've had this problem with Voda in Pune. Never had something like this for over a year with the same phone in Singapore. I'm guessing it is a network thing. I find that while toggling air plane mode helps sometimes, restarting the phone sorts out the issue.
Old 4th April 2012, 09:07   #4402
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Sometimes my iPhone 4 doesn't connect to 3G network: can't browse
My iphone 4S works seamlessly on 3G. Im on Airtel.
If its not a glitch with the service provider, try turning ON & OFF the Cellular Data Network. After switching ON, it sometimes takes longer time to connect. To make it easier, you could do this through springboard.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:46   #4403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
>>>

Go to Settings, scroll down to Reset and reset the network settings.

Regards
Old 4th April 2012, 12:01   #4404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude
AWD solution of OFF/ON is suitable then other. Can you tell us if you get the signal at strength, also have you confirmed the right settings by your service provider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis

Go to Settings, scroll down to Reset and reset the network settings.

Regards
This is extreme case scenario. You will have to reconfigure all the network setting, for people using VPN and multiple Wifi SSID it is a painfully undertaking.

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 4th April 2012 at 12:02.
Old 4th April 2012, 13:49   #4405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
AWD solution of OFF/ON is suitable then other. Can you tell us if you get the signal at strength, also have you confirmed the right settings by your service provider?

This is extreme case scenario. You will have to reconfigure all the network setting, for people using VPN and multiple Wifi SSID it is a painfully undertaking.
>>>

If you are not on VPN and not on WiFi, it is simplicity itself ( as the resident of 221B Baker Street said in another context).

Regards
Old 4th April 2012, 14:47   #4406
Team-BHP Support

If you are on an official sim, connecting to iTunes and clicking on update also helps download the latest network settings file.
Old 4th April 2012, 18:47   #4407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis
If you are not on VPN and not on WiFi, it is simplicity itself ( as the resident of 221B Baker Street said in another context).
OT: but Watson won't be too happy with it
Old 7th April 2012, 14:43   #4408
BHPian

good news for those running on locked iphone with Jailbreak etc

In response to rising number of complaints, AT&T is unlocking iPhones starting Sunday (AT&T Statement) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence
Old 7th April 2012, 14:53   #4409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003
Unlocked phones is not equivalent to jail broken.
But this is a move in right direction by AT&T. They will have more clients coming, however the subsidized rates will still keep the power with At&t 's rule book on whom to unlock.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:44   #4410
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, AWD, Issigonis, Vinod, Sn1p3r, Josclix. Where has the thank button gone? To really add zing to your photo's taken with the iPhone 4, I recommend the Adobe Photoshop Express app and buy the camera pack app and the reduce noise feature really works very well and makes mundane pics look good. Here's an example my kids bed room with the caricatures added when they were really young.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_0745.jpg  

Most Viewed