Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 07:52   #5146
BANNED

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Even though the directions are not working, the GPS seemed to be; see the blue dot? I'm exactly at the position in the building!
Hitler Finds Out About Apple's new iOS6 Maps

Last edited by Samurai : 25th September 2012 at 07:56. Reason: trying to the fix the link
Old 25th September 2012, 07:54   #5147
Team-BHP Support

More about the map: http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=399
Old 25th September 2012, 11:17   #5148
BHPian

Friends are any details about the India launch date and pricing out? I hope to get good resale on the 4s. Does apple India give any exchange offer ?

Thanks.
Old 25th September 2012, 11:53   #5149
BHPian

Another funny take on Apple Maps.

The iPhone Thread-image1679409873.jpg
Old 25th September 2012, 12:05   #5150
Senior - BHPian

In the midst of all Apple Maps mockery, here's one useful app called 'NavFree GPS Live India'. I have downloaded the app and it has decent information and there is also voice assistance. There is also a 2D-3D option. Best is this app works without turning on 3G, as its completely GPS based. But you have to be in GPS coverage area to use this app, otherwise you might get 'Move to an open area to receive GPS signal' kind of message.

All said and done, nothing beats the Google Maps app.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:21   #5151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Friends are any details about the India launch date and pricing out? I hope to get good resale on the 4s. Does apple India give any exchange offer ?

Thanks.
Apple has exchange offer in the US which is popularly known as recycling program.

http://www.apple.com/recycling/

Concept is simple. Provide few details about your phone, your phone will evaluated and current pricing will be provided to you based on the condition of your device. Arrange for shipment and apple will issue you gift coupons worth that money which you can use to buy a new iPhone (iPhone 5)

Apple also has a recycling program in place for Asia (including India) too.

http://www.reverselogistic.com/apple.consumer/

Not sure whether this works fool-proof or may be someone here can share their experience if they have used recycling program in India in the past.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:28   #5152
Senior - BHPian

I downloaded the 'iHotel' app few hours back. WOW! It works like a charm. You have to be on 3G to use it, but I am pleasantly surprised to see it work so smoothly here.

When you use the Hotel Radar option, and hold the phone horizontal, you get a radar at the left bottom corner, with red dots. Each red dot corresponds to a hotel nearby. If you move the phone horizontally, the hotel numbers(IDs) start scrolling on your screen, based on their geographical location with respect to your current location. When you tap on any of the Hotel IDs, you are redirected to a site where you get all the information about the hotel. This information includes, rates, photos, ratings and you can also book a room then and there only.

Has Apple beat Nokia in launching this before the Nokia's much talked about 'City Lens' feature to some extent?
Old 25th September 2012, 14:32   #5153
Senior - BHPian

Reports are coming in fast and furious that Google Maps developers are being poached by Apple

People are comparing a fat loss jogger to Usain Bolt. But Bolt got there in 7+ years baby fat jogger has just started on Wii jogging

I think Apple is learning fast and as of now I will stick to iOS 6 camp.

There are quite a few disruptive standards coming up in near future and I am sure there will be enough treats from Android that Apple will loosen a bit.

Till then, rejoice for there are apps like Waze, NavFree to guide you.
Old 25th September 2012, 14:35   #5154
BHPian

will location sharing services like fb checkins, four square etc be affected because of the maps problems? How is the battery life?
Old 25th September 2012, 14:37   #5155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I downloaded the 'iHotel' app few hours back. WOW! It works like a charm. You have to be on 3G to use it, but I am pleasantly surprised to see it work so smoothly here.
There are couple of apps i found on the app store: 1) iHotel - Hotel search and 2) iHotel Which one are you referring to?? Even i am curious to install it
Old 25th September 2012, 14:46   #5156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
There are couple of apps i found on the app store: 1) iHotel - Hotel search and 2) iHotel Which one are you referring to?? Even i am curious to install it
I am referring to this app. This is the only App developed by Apple. Rest of the apps are third party.

The iPhone Thread-ihotel.jpg

This application is also part of the Passbook app.

The iPhone Thread-apps_passbook.jpg
Old 25th September 2012, 19:11   #5157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Reports are coming in fast and furious that Google Maps developers are being poached by Apple

I don't think Apple can do that. If I remember correctly Apple and Google had some kind of agreement that they wouldn't hire ex-employees of each other companies, this was done to, apparently, prevent Google from taking away Apple employees.
Old 25th September 2012, 20:10   #5158
BHPian

things aren't that bad with the maps. Nokia maps (m.maps.nokia.com) and google maps (maps.google.com) are available via the broswers. of course the full fledged version was the best. And Google seems to have no plan to save iOS users (read Apple) from this misery and have thrown the ball back in Apple's court.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...912759258.html

Ohh and yes, the new iphones does come with factory-fitted "scratches" & scuff marks"
Old 25th September 2012, 20:21   #5159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I don't think Apple can do that. If I remember correctly Apple and Google had some kind of agreement that they wouldn't hire ex-employees of each other companies, this was done to, apparently, prevent Google from taking away Apple employees.
That agreement was declared illegal by a US court in 2010. This had happened when an ex-employee challenged the agreement saying that this kept the salaries artificially low for switchers!

Last edited by Technocrat : 25th September 2012 at 23:17. Reason: Removed quoted post which has been deleted now, thanks
Old 25th September 2012, 20:55   #5160
Senior - BHPian

Something to use while Apple gets it's act together! (self explanatory)

The iPhone Thread-image2798995355.jpg

The iPhone Thread-image2427588143.jpg

The iPhone Thread-image3144452149.jpg

ta da!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks