Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 16:35   #5251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
I've a question about the iPhone 4. I want to gift one to my daughter and have found a new sealed box-pack unit on ebay. Have ordered it too.

Coming to the point, what I observed while comparing the features of the 4 with 4s (I use one), I found that Facetime, while it works on both on Wi-Fi, it doesn't work on cellular network on 4 (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/). Why is it so and upgrading it to 1OS6 would rectify this?

A precise answer would be appreciated.
No facetime does not work on 3G on iphone 4 even on iOS 6. Just as Siri isn't available for 4.
Old 8th October 2012, 18:13   #5252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
My brother wants to upgrade from his BlackBerry Bold 9000 and his budget is between 30-40K.?

Requirements are Email, Internet, basic photography, music and other basic things like good call quality etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD
Its probably the most dis-proportionate phone, lenght has been stretched but waist remains same. My 4S looked much better when compared.
@bluevolt: frankly the requirements you have mentioned does not warrant a new phone. It's only if you wish to make use if the iOS ecosystem (apps etc) that you need to choose an iPhone, likewise for Android based phones.

@ AWD: you are right. Side by side with 4S it does look a bit odd. But the 5's battery is far better and it's thinner in a nice way. Personally I won't recommend an upgrade from 4S. But for 3/ 4 owners, yes. Else they lose quite bit on the features in iOS6 + limited apps.
Old 8th October 2012, 19:34   #5253
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Short and sweet boys!

Shall I go and buy a 32 GB 4S now that the price drop is imminent? Is it worth buying in say DXB or Singapore or HK?

I m not into the latest gadgetry per se and certainly not into paying such high premia for what is essentially a fad.

However, I do want the benefits of the eco system as all my other machinery that I use daily now is from Apple.

In a nutshell, is 15 as desirable as all that, as to warrant such a price point or would I 4S be a smarter, more sensible buy?
Old 8th October 2012, 19:34   #5254
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
No facetime does not work on 3G on iphone 4 even on iOS 6. Just as Siri isn't available for 4.
but why? is it very difficult to enable FaceTime over 3G for iP4 or are they just being stubborn?

at least they could have provided the Panorama and FaceTime over 3G for iP4!

i feel cheated!
Old 8th October 2012, 20:18   #5255
BHPian

At least they could have given the panorama on Iphone 4. The one on iOS 6 is really good, much better than what few of the photo based apps used to provide.
Old 8th October 2012, 20:34   #5256
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Short and sweet boys!

Shall I go and buy a 32 GB 4S now that the price drop is imminent? Is it worth buying in say DXB or Singapore or HK?

I m not into the latest gadgetry per se and certainly not into paying such high premia for what is essentially a fad.

However, I do want the benefits of the eco system as all my other machinery that I use daily now is from Apple.

In a nutshell, is 15 as desirable as all that, as to warrant such a price point or would I 4S be a smarter, more sensible buy?
Go for the 4S. All the features of iOS 6 works well with the 4S. But yes, the 5 looks super cool.

I am not sure about DXB, but you can buy unlocked iPhone 4S directly from Apple store here in Singapore, and also from HK. In INR, 16GB 4S will cost approx. 33k in SG, and 31k in HK.

By the way, here in SG (and also in HK), the 4S is available only with 16GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK

but why? is it very difficult to enable FaceTime over 3G for iP4 or are they just being stubborn?

at least they could have provided the Panorama and FaceTime over 3G for iP4!

i feel cheated!
It's a way to make us users move along with the versions
Old 8th October 2012, 20:36   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Short and sweet boys!

If your next upgrade is going to be after 2 yrs then - 5 else 4S

Last edited by vinjosep : 8th October 2012 at 20:42.
Old 8th October 2012, 21:27   #5258
BANNED

Thanks boys.

So it is a question of getting a 4S with 32GB then!
I tend to use phones for a couple of years or so in general.
While I like my N8 very much, it is about 22 months old and the urge to switch is upon me...
I5 is really expensive though and seems a bit taller than I ideally would like.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:14   #5259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thanks boys.

So it is a question of getting a 4S with 32GB then!
I tend to use phones for a couple of years or so in general.
While I like my N8 very much, it is about 22 months old and the urge to switch is upon me...
I5 is really expensive though and seems a bit taller than I ideally would like.
Shankar Sir,
I recently moved from a N8 to 4s-16gb and im really happy with the same .
And after updating to ios 6 you will be able to use all the new features, which would be present in I5.
Also if possible i will suggest pickup a iphone on which you get India warranty, as i feel its a expensive device and just in case if any thing goes wrong you will get the required support.Also if you get a phone from outside india i think the difference would be around 5-6k not more than that,so @ that price point i feel a warranty on a device will give you peace of mind .

Also i checked with Apple store @ forum, and as per their information, the prices of 4s is gonna come down after Iphone5 is released here in india but may be not more 4-5 k. Also , only looks like only 16gb might be available @ that point of time and I5 would be around 46-50k for 16gb .

4s 32 is right now being sold @ 50k here in india , so if i would have been in your place , i would have waited till this month end and checked the iphone5 and see how it is and if not then can pick up the 4s anytime .

Also , just a thought , buying a new iphone 5 w/o warranty might not be a good idea as there could be some bugs in it which might need support for those to be fixed .

Moving from N8 to iphone ,only thing that you will miss is the superb
12 MP, 4000x3000 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, Xenon flash.

4s takes good photos , but nothing like the N8
Cheers.
Old 9th October 2012, 07:31   #5260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury

Shankar Sir,
I recently moved from a N8 to 4s-16gb and im really happy with the same .
And after updating to ios 6 you will be able to use all the new features, which would be present in I5.
Also if possible i will suggest pickup a iphone on which you get India warranty, as i feel its a expensive device and just in case if any thing goes wrong you will get the required support.Also if you get a phone from outside india i think the difference would be around 5-6k not more than that,so @ that price point i feel a warranty on a device will give you peace of mind .

Also i checked with Apple store @ forum, and as per their information, the prices of 4s is gonna come down after Iphone5 is released here in india but may be not more 4-5 k. Also , only looks like only 16gb might be available @ that point of time and I5 would be around 46-50k for 16gb .

4s 32 is right now being sold @ 50k here in india , so if i would have been in your place , i would have waited till this month end and checked the iphone5 and see how it is and if not then can pick up the 4s anytime .

Also , just a thought , buying a new iphone 5 w/o warranty might not be a good idea as there could be some bugs in it which might need support for those to be fixed .

Moving from N8 to iphone ,only thing that you will miss is the superb
12 MP, 4000x3000 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, Xenon flash.

4s takes good photos , but nothing like the N8
Cheers.
Thank you so much for an informative and detailed post. I do appreciate my N8 camera and I have 32 GB worth of space in the phone, mostly occupied by pictures beause the N8 camera is truly excellent.
Your points about iphone4S are duly noted. I shall do a price comparo in my forthcoming trip and decide accordingly. I wont buy a 16GB because I know I will run out of space. I already have run out on my ipod touch 32GB!
I agree that a warranty gives a lot of peace and saving 5 or 6 K by buying abroad is not really that important.
I have also heard from the apple fellows that iPhone 4S will no longer be available in 32GB size once I5 launches here. They will push people to upgrade their phones and those seeking larger memory capacity will simply have to upgrade instead of trying to go for the older model.
The same thing happened in the case of the Mac Air and I was caught napping. I just missed a super deal on the outgoing Mac Air in June this year and had to buy the newer one at a higher price.
Now that I have the Mac Air, ipod touch and ipad, all of whom are working off iOS6 or equivalent in the case of Mac Air, I believe it is the right time to draw n and leverage the apple eco system which is why the iPhone thoughts.
I love the apple touch screen, N8 is really poor in that respect.
I may just hang on to my N8 as a spare phone and for gps purposes alone. Or I will simply do an exchange and take a price off of 6000odd on the new iphone 4S from the retailer, which will effectively save me the same money as buying abroad. Will switch to the iphone once I buy it, for all daily usage.
Lastly, to buy it, I may just go and buy it at SOGO in Koramangala. They are authorized apple resellers and have the backing of Redington, who are an old and established company. Their prices are fair, they offer cash discounts and they have the ability to get the machinery that one wants by ordering it in specially.
Old 9th October 2012, 11:39   #5261
Senior - BHPian

^
I recommend iPhone 5 over the 4S for a new convert. You will get better bang for buck in upcoming upgrades over the years and the hardware increment is a good bargain. Your ecosystem will be complete.
Old 9th October 2012, 12:07   #5262
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Personally I won't recommend an upgrade from 4S. But for 3/ 4 owners, yes
Yes Im not planning an upgrade. Initially on witnessing the mass hysteria after 5 launch, I was keen to lay my hands on it but after seeing it in flesh, Im happy with my 4S.

Quote:
Shall I go and buy a 32 GB 4S now that the price drop is imminent?
Why not 4S 16GB? If your device is not overflowing with data, music, movies, etc. 16gb should suffice. You should be able ot get this for ~38k with Indian Warranty.
Old 9th October 2012, 18:49   #5263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD

Why not 4S 16GB? If your device is not overflowing with data, music, movies, etc. 16gb should suffice. You should be able ot get this for ~38k with Indian Warranty.
For reasons mentioned in my earlier post 16GB wont cut it in terms of space for my general usage pattern.
Old 9th October 2012, 19:16   #5264
BHPian

Guys, wife's phone is kaput. Need a phone now. Since my 3GS is almost 2 1/2 years old, wife wants me to get the latest phone and she takes the 3GS.

Till date no issues whatsoever with my 3GS. Just the home and power button fails to respond, but I am living with it.

I have seen 4 and 4S, but for me 3GS is handful, meaning 3GS is bigger in width. Resolution would be double, but it looks skinny when compared to 3GS.

Seen Samsung SIII, hell of a phone, but worried in the next couple or 6 months they would release the SIV with more cool features and by this they would bring down the cost of SIII drastically. Do not want people to look at my phone and think it is cheap down the line.

Why am I seeing/saying this? Even now people seeing my 3GS, they wonder I have a iPhone . But this was way back in 2010, when iPhone was a rich man's rice. Now in every hand I see a iPhone, the drooling as come down per se.

Even wife says go for iP5, and if I go for Samsung, my reputation would go down. Haha..how true it may feel.

So which would be the ideal upgrade for me. iP5 or SIII. If iP5 is more than 50K, I am out of the bargain.

But atleast let me know if SIII is a good gamble.

Last edited by dre@ms : 9th October 2012 at 19:18.
Old 10th October 2012, 00:17   #5265
BHPian

Quote:
For reasons mentioned in my earlier post 16GB wont cut it in terms of space for my general usage pattern.

If you are targeting 4S with 32GB, then the time to buy is NOW. Post IP5 launch Apple will be withdrawing other IP4S versions except 16GB. This is how they have gone ahead in North America & Europe (though there are a few carrier-locked options still out there). So not much of a chance in getting a discount post launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys, wife's phone is kaput. Need a phone now. Since my 3GS is almost 2 1/2 years old, wife wants me to get the latest phone and she takes the 3GS.
I have seen 4 and 4S, but for me 3GS is handful, meaning 3GS is bigger in width. Resolution would be double, but it looks skinny when compared to 3GS.

So which would be the ideal upgrade for me. iP5 or SIII. If iP5 is more than 50K, I am out of the bargain.

But atleast let me know if SIII is a good gamble.
Not sure if I understood you properly. Are you looking for a meatier phone (physical dimensions of course)? Then SIII is the better bet.

IP5 is incredibly light & thin and super easy to handle with one-hand. Also you haven't mentioned another important factor , your experience with the iOS ecosystem. Are you smitten? yes? don't look beyond Apple then.

The SIII is good as well. Why don't you do a "dekho" of both the fones in person and then opt for the one which pull your heartstrings. As per the rumours floating around the IP5 launch in India is scheduled for 26th this month.

I made a jump from 3G to IP5. For me the experience just got better & faster with a lighter pocket ( in both sense). SIII was too big for my liking.

Last edited by vinjosep : 10th October 2012 at 00:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks