Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 12:17   #5401
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute

Of course it can be. But you would have already paid for the contract or would be paying it for next 2 years and on top of that you would pay to some SP in India. Too much of waste of money I feel.

iPhone 5 launch:
iPhone 5 Launch Event from 7 PM onwards on 2nd Nov'2012 @ Gurgaon – Galleria – DLF Phase 4, Delhi – DLF Place, Saket, Mumbai – Inorbit mall, Malad, Bangalore – UB city
What if you buy from cricket wireless?
$499 off contract 16GB but locked.
But i suppose you can get it unlocked.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:18   #5402
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Of course it can be. But you would have already paid for the contract or would be paying it for next 2 years and on top of that you would pay to some SP in India. Too much of waste of money I feel.

iPhone 5 launch:
iPhone 5 Launch Event from 7 PM onwards on 2nd Nov'2012 @ Gurgaon – Galleria – DLF Phase 4, Delhi – DLF Place, Saket, Mumbai – Inorbit mall, Malad, Bangalore – UB city
Could you please tell me how will I be paying for the contract if I am using it in India and that too after jailbreaking it. Hope to hear soon.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:54   #5403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Could you please tell me how will I be paying for the contract if I am using it in India and that too after jailbreaking it. Hope to hear soon.
A "locked" phone means a phone with a contract of 2 years with a service provider in the US, such as AT&T, Verizon, etc. Locked iPhone5 is sold at $199 with a 2 year contract, so that means that a locked phone has some SP provider's SIM inside the phone already.

A locked phone can be used in India straightaway, by removing the original SIM and putting Airtel or Vodafone SIM. But when you say locked, you've bought it with a contract, as mentioned above.

If you buy an unlocked phone in the USA, it means it doesn't have any SIM and you can use any SIM in the world in it. But, unlocked phones cost as much as they cost in India.

I hope this clears the confusion a bit.

Regarding jail-braking, can you elaborate that a bit? Are you talking about jailbreaking apps, or the phone itself? If you jailbreak the phone and if it can be traced, your warranty might get void and then you are at the mercy of the device.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:07   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
A "locked" phone means a phone with a contract of 2 years with a service provider in the US, such as AT&T, Verizon, etc. Locked iPhone5 is sold at $199 with a 2 year contract, so that means that a locked phone has some SP provider's SIM inside the phone already.

A locked phone can be used in India straightaway, by removing the original SIM and putting Airtel or Vodafone SIM. But when you say locked, you've bought it with a contract, as mentioned above.

If you buy an unlocked phone in the USA, it means it doesn't have any SIM and you can use any SIM in the world in it. But, unlocked phones cost as much as they cost in India.

I hope this clears the confusion a bit.

Regarding jail-braking, can you elaborate that a bit? Are you talking about jailbreaking apps, or the phone itself? If you jailbreak the phone and if it can be traced, your warranty might get void and then you are at the mercy of the device.
I was talking about jailbreaking the Iphone itself so that I can use my Sim instead of the one provided by the carrier. Hope I am clear.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:16   #5405
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this was mentioned before.

Found this neat feature on 4S. To take a picture of your phone screen, press and hold the power/sleep button, and then press the Home button. The screen flashes for a moment, and the picture gets saved into your camera roll folder.
Old 1st November 2012, 14:31   #5406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Not sure if this was mentioned before.

Found this neat feature on 4S. To take a picture of your phone screen, press and hold the power/sleep button, and then press the Home button. The screen flashes for a moment, and the picture gets saved into your camera roll folder.
Hehe.. You're late! I'm guessing you didn't go through the manual when you got the phone
Old 1st November 2012, 14:43   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict

Try to backup the phone and restore from backup. It helps sometimes. I have been using iOS 6 since day one of release and found no issues. Of course, the Maps app totally sucks.

You can now download the YouTube app from the App Store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san

I agree with fuel_addict. I did the upgrade on both 4 and 4S and never had any issues. Probably it's an issue with your phone/software. Infact with iOS 6, I find the 4S as good as the 5 (on the available features).
Thanks, will download YouTube from the App Store.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but mine is an iPad 2. And my sister's iPad 2 also has the same issue with the unlock slider not behaving itself for a couple of seconds after boot up. However my father's iPhone doesn't have any of these issues (excepting the maps one).
Old 1st November 2012, 15:05   #5408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Hehe.. You're late! I'm guessing you didn't go through the manual when you got the phone
That’s true. Did not read through the manual. This was an accidental discovery by my 4 year old

Is there any way to know if any apps are running in the background? At times, I notice that the phone is getting slightly heated up even while in locked mode.
Old 1st November 2012, 15:59   #5409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wycelfjean View Post
My 4S is not detecting any wifi networks for the last 2-3 days , what could be the reason ??
1) Is your wifi router profile set to be visible? What is the wireless security type?
2) Any changes to the profile - on the router or on the phone?
3) Facing the problems after an upgrade or some other recent action?

This might help you, especially the restart--> http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
I found iOS6 to be a poor upgrade. Apart from losing YouTube and gaining the useless Apple Maps, device performance has deteriorated. Boot up takes the same time, but then the screen unlock slider doesn't respond for a few seconds longer. Wifi is another pain now, with having to reboot at times for it to connect.

Would not recommend an update just yet, at least until these bugs are fixed.
You haven't mentioned which version of the iPhone you have. Nevertheless do try to disable a few of the generic energy zappers like "location services" etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Can locked Iphone 5 purchased in US be used in India?
Unlocked - yes, can be used in India.
Locked - No, you will need to jaibreak or something along those lines. iPhone 4/ 4S has another option called Gevey SIM which is not available for iPhone 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
That’s true. Did not read through the manual. This was an accidental discovery by my 4 year old

Is there any way to know if any apps are running in the background? At times, I notice that the phone is getting slightly heated up even while in locked mode.
http://www.apple.com/ca/support/ipho...one/#section_3
Old 1st November 2012, 16:12   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Techies don't read manuals, so the saying goes RTFM..... I discovered this feature through blogs :-) Are you a techie, by any chance?

Press the Home button twice in quick succession. It shows the apps that are running, hold one of them for a long time, apps will start wobbling, you can kill them.
Old 2nd November 2012, 01:33   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've a little question for you folks. i just got my Apple Tv (from the US) and i haven't plugged it in yet coz i don't know what is the operating voltage is. US uses 110v and we here user 230v. i checked Apple site and it says the power supply is a universal 6watt.

does this mean i can plug it in?
I have no problems with mine.
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:22   #5412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
i've a little question for you folks. i just got my Apple Tv (from the US) and i haven't plugged it in yet coz i don't know what is the operating voltage is. US uses 110v and we here user 230v. i checked Apple site and it says the power supply is a universal 6watt.

does this mean i can plug it in?
All new age electronic equipments generally come with power adapters that support both 110 & 220V. Take a look at your adapter for iTV. It should show 110/240 V or something similar.
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:32   #5413
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
Press the Home button twice in quick succession. It shows the apps that are running, hold one of them for a long time, apps will start wobbling, you can kill them.
Thank you! I thought the double click on home button is to view recently opened apps. Never knew the option to close those. Very helpful indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran
Techies don't read manuals, so the saying goes RTFM..... I discovered this feature through blogs :-) Are you a techie, by any chance?
Not a techie. I normally read the manuals, but for phones normally rely on self-discovery or websites like Cnet Asia
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:08   #5414
BHPian

Just found this offer from SCB. People buying today from UB City, Bangalore or from Mumbai, Delhi. Please keep in mind about this 5% cash back offer if you are buying through SCB Credit Card.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-apple_store.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2012, 12:31   #5415
Senior - BHPian

iOS 6.0.1 released!
But doesnt include any Map update.

Update in progress, lets see how it is .
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-img_0527.png  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks