Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 08:05   #5266
BHPian

Likely launch of iPhone 5 on 26th October in India

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/09/...-and-malaysia/
Old 10th October 2012, 10:25   #5267
Senior - BHPian

I am very happy with the iOS and Apple ecosystem. Though technically I am a geek.
The latest geek workbench scores will help people make decision if they want iPhone 5 or 4(S).

http://www.jailbreakingios6.com/

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-image2799847558.jpg  

Old 10th October 2012, 12:26   #5268
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Not sure if I understood you properly. Are you looking for a meatier phone (physical dimensions of course)? Then SIII is the better bet.

IP5 is incredibly light & thin and super easy to handle with one-hand. Also you haven't mentioned another important factor , your experience with the iOS ecosystem. Are you smitten? yes? don't look beyond Apple then.

The SIII is good as well. Why don't you do a "dekho" of both the fones in person and then opt for the one which pull your heartstrings. As per the rumours floating around the IP5 launch in India is scheduled for 26th this month.

I made a jump from 3G to IP5. For me the experience just got better & faster with a lighter pocket ( in both sense). SIII was too big for my liking.
Yes, for me the phone should be bigger enough to hold in hands. This is the reason both me and wife doesnt like the 4S, its skinnier when compared to the 3GS.
And 4S now is around 45K, but SIII is 35K. Should I go for a smaller screen spending more money or stick with a larger screen spending less.

I do agree, apple product is no headache after purchase, but after owning many of their products, thinking the cost is on a heftier side. May be my financial status now makes me think on that note.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:34   #5269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms
I do agree, apple product is no headache after purchase, but after owning many of their products, thinking the cost is on a heftier side. May be my financial status now makes me think on that note.
You can buy bulky covers to have a comfy fit on the iPhone iPhone 5 is even lighter.

If you with S3 you will have a disrupted ecosystem, now how much you value it is your choice.

We develop apps and have both the devices. iOS is still ahead of Android, but it all depends on your usage. Happy shopping.
Old 10th October 2012, 14:59   #5270
BHPian

Folks,

Need some info over here from anyone. I have got iPhone 5 from Swiss officially unlocked where I purchased during my short business trip. The problem now is I need Nano-Sim to use here.

Does anyone know where I can get my Micro-Sim get cut to Nano-Sim? I verified with Vodafone and Airtel, they have no clue yet on Nano-Sims.

By the current scenario, I doubt iPhone 5 will be launched any time sooner (within a month or couple of months) here in India.

So need some contacts, who can get my sim converted to Nano-Sims.

I am located in Bangalore, so Bangalore folks PLEASE provide some info if you all know.
Old 10th October 2012, 15:39   #5271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Folks,

I am located in Bangalore, so Bangalore folks PLEASE provide some info if you all know.
No idea about any real contacts, but I found this DIY stuff on Nano SIM. http://www.techtree.com/content/feat...-iphone-5.html

Seems to be a delicate job and chances of screwing up the SIM seem high to me.
Old 10th October 2012, 17:06   #5272
BHPian

Go to National market area. Dime a a dozen guys who can do the needful for you for a small fee. I would suggest going to the next door Sukh Sagar Mall to get it done.
Old 10th October 2012, 19:57   #5273
Senior - BHPian

isn't the Nano SIM different from the Micro SIM? i mean, one can't just cut up the Micro SIM and use it as a Nano SIM?
Old 10th October 2012, 20:50   #5274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
All it requires is this $5 cutter / punch. Most cell shops would do that for 50 - 100 Rs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...etal%20Adapter
Old 10th October 2012, 20:54   #5275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
isn't the Nano SIM different from the Micro SIM? i mean, one can't just cut up the Micro SIM and use it as a Nano SIM?
That's what I thought too. It did not look like a simple cut and use job.
Old 10th October 2012, 21:19   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
That's what I thought too. It did not look like a simple cut and use job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter
Folks,

Does anyone know where I can get my Micro-Sim get cut to Nano-Sim?
Am not sure it's a simple cut & use.

Here's my nano sim along with the earlier design. The chip design has changed and there is no similarity ( as in the case of micro sim). So not sure if it makes sense.

The iPhone Thread-image2036455490.jpg

Also you stand chances of ruining your IP5's tray in case the "cut" sim is too thick.

My suggestion would be to be patient for a few more days. If indeed the rumour mills are true then, by 26th apple will be launching IP5 in India. So it won't be long before carriers start supplying nano sims. (TOI did carry news of a few carriers ordering the same)
Old 10th October 2012, 21:35   #5277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's my nano sim along with the earlier design. The chip design has changed and there is no similarity ( as in the case of micro sim). So not sure if it makes sense.
Chip design and contact layout is same for Nano/Micro/Mini SIMs. If you look at his picture, it would be clear that only "visual" design has changed conatct-layout is still the same.

Thats why, above mentioned SIM cutters work.
Old 10th October 2012, 21:43   #5278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Chip design and contact layout is same for Nano/Micro/Mini SIMs. If you look at his picture, it would be clear that only "visual" design has changed conatct-layout is still the same.

Thats why, above mentioned SIM cutters work.
Am not sure, you will have to cut the chip as well and not just the plastic.
Old 10th October 2012, 23:03   #5279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure, you will have to cut the chip as well and not just the plastic.
Chip is very small (just 3mm by 4 mm) all these visible copper strips are just contacts. Part of contact get cut, but that does not impact functioning of SIM.
Old 10th October 2012, 23:25   #5280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay

Chip is very small (just 3mm by 4 mm) all these visible copper strips are just contacts. Part of contact get cut, but that does not impact functioning of SIM.
Thanks. Sounds do-able. Worth it? Not sure

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks