Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 02:29   #4516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power

What I am saying is, if you decide to get it replaced under warranty, do not worry about the new handset being refurbished as it would have passed stringent manual QA process. It's your call to get it replaced it or not depending on the home button firmness. Alternatively, what you can do is, wait until 11th month of your warranty and then get it replaced. So that you get new handset after almost an year of usage.
Thats a good option.

There is a significant change in the firmness of the button, i guess this might have been caused by excessive usage of the home button.
I use it a lot for multi-tasking.

But is it just because of the usage ? Because a strange for a phone worth 40k to have a loose button just because of usage.
Old 18th May 2012, 09:14   #4517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik
There is a significant change in the firmness of the button, i guess this might have been caused by excessive usage of the home button.
try accessibility option you will have a white circle on screen appearing that will help you minimize the use of home button. No comments on the make as mine hasn't shown any degradation since 2 years. Try gentle pressing force it still responds.

General-> Accessibility-> Assistive Touch.

Cheers!
Old 18th May 2012, 10:01   #4518
Team-BHP Support

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I bought an iPhone 4 3 months back. Now i am facing a problem with it
Not exactly a problem, but i have noticed something recently.

The home button on my iPhone has become a bit loose.

I contacted apple and went to the service centre. They say they will replace my handset.
Now the thing is, that the replacement set which apple will provide me will not be a brand new piece but a refurbished one.
So it means i have no guarantee of getting a better piece or ending up with something worse.

I am confused, shall i get my phone replaced or shall i continue using the same set. ?
Just sharing my experience with Home button problem (this is Singapore, and I am not sure if Apple have same service policies worldwide)

The iPhone which I was using had intermittent issues with the Home button (no response). My wife was using this one for past 10 months and when I took over it recently, noticed that there is occasional issue with call reception as well (I can hear the caller on other side, but s/he cannot hear me).

This morning I went to the mobile carrier outlet, mentioned the home button issue. Even before I mentioned the second issue (about reception), they raised a ticket, and replaced with a brand new iPhone. I asked if it’s a refurbished piece, and he answered that it’s a brand new piece, and even though they don’t sell iPhone 4 16GB now, they have it in stock to provide as replacement for faulty pieces with Home button issue. Not bad, especially since the replaced phone was into its 11th month of use.
Anyway, even if you are getting a refurbished piece, I guess there is no harm in going for this. They would have covered all the QC checks before packaging and passing it on to you.

And when they do 1-to-1 replacement for phone, the warranty does not extend automatically i.e.; irrespective of new/refurbished device, you will have 9 months warranty left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post

But is it just because of the usage ? Because a strange for a phone worth 40k to have a loose button just because of usage.
Should not be the case. The Home button is the most used button on the phone, and it should not give away due to excessive usage.
Old 18th May 2012, 17:51   #4519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
try accessibility option you will have a white circle on screen appearing that will help you minimize the use of home button. No comments on the make as mine hasn't shown any degradation since 2 years. Try gentle pressing force it still responds.

General-> Accessibility-> Assistive Touch.

Cheers!
I have tried this,
I was suggested this by the apple customer care representative when i had made a call to them regarding my problem.
But somehow, i still don't find it as i perfect replacement for the home button, or its just that i am not used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
Just sharing my experience with Home button problem (this is Singapore, and I am not sure if Apple have same service policies worldwide)

The iPhone which I was using had intermittent issues with the Home button (no response). My wife was using this one for past 10 months and when I took over it recently, noticed that there is occasional issue with call reception as well (I can hear the caller on other side, but s/he cannot hear me).

This morning I went to the mobile carrier outlet, mentioned the home button issue. Even before I mentioned the second issue (about reception), they raised a ticket, and replaced with a brand new iPhone. I asked if it’s a refurbished piece, and he answered that it’s a brand new piece, and even though they don’t sell iPhone 4 16GB now, they have it in stock to provide as replacement for faulty pieces with Home button issue. Not bad, especially since the replaced phone was into its 11th month of use.
Anyway, even if you are getting a refurbished piece, I guess there is no harm in going for this. They would have covered all the QC checks before packaging and passing it on to you.

And when they do 1-to-1 replacement for phone, the warranty does not extend automatically i.e.; irrespective of new/refurbished device, you will have 9 months warranty left.

Should not be the case. The Home button is the most used button on the phone, and it should not give away due to excessive usage.
Actually mine is a factory unlocked version, so i have to deal it directly with apple.
I went to the apple store, i asked them for the replacement
They said all they have is a refurbished piece and that too will take about a weeks time to reach them from apple.

I asked them to get my home button repaired instead, for this they said that they dont repair iPhones in india.
All they do is to collect the faulty handset from the customer and send it back to apple and replace it with what apple sends them back.

Can someone tell me what exactly is a refurbished iPhone ?

All i could get to know from the apple guys was that they rectify the fault on the phone and send it back with the same body panel, in short everything remains the same but the fault is rectified.

Mine is a scratch less piece, and suppose i give give my phone for replacement and i get a one with a few scratches on the screen or somewhere else ?
Thats not justified.

I am totally confused as to what i should do.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:04   #4520
BHPian

Quote:
Mine is a scratch less piece, and suppose i give give my phone for replacement and i get a one with a few scratches on the screen or somewhere else ?
Thats not justified.

I am totally confused as to what i should do.
satyam, don't worry about the replacement piece. Even if it is refurbished, it would have been QC'ed. In case there are scratches then you can refuse it at the time of delivery and get a different one.
The home button is the 'weakest' link in the chain. It's 2 tiny pieces of metal being stressed day in and day out.
In my previous iPhone 4 I went through 2 replacements due to home button.
As a precaution check if you can buy Apple care. IIRC, it wasn't available in India till sometime back but things might have changed now.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:44   #4521
BHPian

Hey guys, my iphone is without bill and without a box, how can i check if its in warranty period ? and will i get a replacement if something goes wrong ?
Old 18th May 2012, 19:51   #4522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523
Hey guys, my iphone is without bill and without a box, how can i check if its in warranty period ? and will i get a replacement if something goes wrong ?
Nope. If your name does not exist in Apple's database for that particular handset, most probably they will not replace it for you.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:59   #4523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
Old 18th May 2012, 20:09   #4524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon

satyam, don't worry about the replacement piece. Even if it is refurbished, it would have been QC'ed. In case there are scratches then you can refuse it at the time of delivery and get a different one.
The home button is the 'weakest' link in the chain. It's 2 tiny pieces of metal being stressed day in and day out.
In my previous iPhone 4 I went through 2 replacements due to home button.
As a precaution check if you can buy Apple care. IIRC, it wasn't available in India till sometime back but things might have changed now.
Fine
I'll get my phone replaced after i et done with my exams.
I didn't know anything about apple care at the time of purchase
But the shop owner offered me a third party insurance for the phone.

I paid him rs.4000 for 2 years
It covers all sorts of physical and water damage.

Was the 4000 worth it ??
Old 18th May 2012, 20:20   #4525
AWD
BHPian

Upgrade my 4s to 5.1 & what a change, the phone is faster & battery performance has increased by almost 55% & that's saying a lot. I had Jb'ed on previous version 5.0 but the JB(untethered) was unstable & I was facing issues of jaming/hanging, etc. JB(unth) for 5.1 is around the corner but not too keen on it now.

Also using an Otterbox Defender case with holster. Its a fabulous case & has already saved my phone from 2-3 nasty falls. Highly recommended product.

Last edited by AWD : 18th May 2012 at 20:23.
Old 18th May 2012, 21:31   #4526
BHPian

Quote:
I paid him rs.4000 for 2 years
It covers all sorts of physical and water damage.

Was the 4000 worth it ??
If water damage is covered then an unqualified yes.
I check the water damage sensors twice a day. The obsession. I tell you.
Old 18th May 2012, 23:23   #4527
BHPian

Quote:

What are the water damage sensors? Where are they located on an iphone 4s?
Old 18th May 2012, 23:39   #4528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan

What are the water damage sensors? Where are they located on an iphone 4s?
Sensors is the wrong word. Indicator is more like it.
Charging & headphone port. There'd be white markers which would turn red in contact with water.
Same location in both 4 & 4S.
Old 19th May 2012, 00:40   #4529
BHPian

Quote:

It's a third party insurance option by the name of V-care.
They provide such insurance schemes for all brands and all models.

I still think paying 4000 was not exactly worth the service.
Old 25th May 2012, 23:04   #4530
BHPian

Absinthe 2.0 has arrived!

Absinthe 2.0 has arrived! | greenpois0n.com
There you go, untethered Jailbreak for iOS 5.1.1 is here. Have fun guys

Last edited by nkg77 : 25th May 2012 at 23:29.

Most Viewed