Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 16:23   #4501
BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

^^This is an old story from the days of the initial Iphone and has been discussed to death. The Apple store in India does not accept International warranty. Basically any phone bought outside of India will not be repaired/replaced, even if you are willing to pay for it.

My wifes phone had a screw which was slightly out of place and I didnt have the correct screwdriver for it. I generally walked into an Apple store in Bangalore and they refused to do anything about it. I told them to give me the screwdriver and I will do it myself, but they didnt agree to that as well. SO just went to national market and got it done for free in under a minute.
Old 14th May 2012, 22:03   #4502
BHPian

iPhone IMEI Unlock - Permanent Factory Unlocking 4 iPhone

some positive reviews about factory unlock via above link at
Permanent iPhone IMEI unlock review

seems try-able, usa at&t does seem stretched though !
Old 14th May 2012, 23:54   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Interesting. This is probably the cleanest way on unlocking the phone. Would be curious to know how they do it though!!
Old 15th May 2012, 01:39   #4504
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have a rather weird problem with my iPhone 4 (US-bought AT&T, officially factory unlocked) and I need help / suggestions.

A friend of mine removed the sim tray from the phone to have a look at the "small sim" and dropped both the sim & the sim tray off the 12th floor balcony at 8 in the evening.

We managed to find the sim after an hour and a half of searching but never found the sim tray.

Now what? Can I get a new sim tray somewhere in Mumbai?

Any ideas at all?
Old 15th May 2012, 10:01   #4505
BHPian

You can get it on eBay.in

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th May 2012 at 00:15. Reason: Avoid quotinga long post specially when its on same page, thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 14:55   #4506
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
For all those using iPhone 4-4S with iOS 5.1, with particular baseband of , without unlocking, ...............................

Lately I had bought iPhone 4S as well, and have been using GEVEY ULTRA with my iOS 5.1 and works fine.
Hi
I have been trying to follow the instructions and unlock the phone but with no success. Can you please let me know the steps you followed to unlock the phone with iOS 5.1.
Old 15th May 2012, 16:44   #4507
BHPian

I use an Iphone 4s and a Windows Phone. Both for different reasons. The iphone for the Number of Apps and the Windows phone for it beautiful UI.

Like Steve Woznik said, " Windows is currently the best Phone in terms of usage"

Check this out, i got the windows phone by Taking part in this contest. They are giving out Nokia Lumias every week : https://www.facebook.com/WindowsPhon...app_data=12114
Old 15th May 2012, 16:48   #4508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocklock
Hi guys,
A friend of mine ... never found the sim tray.

Now what? Can I get a new sim tray somewhere in Mumbai?

Any ideas at all?
That's sad. Call AAPL and ask. If you ever want warranty coverage then they'll check the serial number on sim card tray. Might be worthwhile to check if getting a tray from eBay would void the warranty.
It all depends on if you want warranty coverage and are still under warranty.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:00   #4509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Hi
I have been trying to follow the instructions and unlock the phone but with no success. Can you please let me know the steps you followed to unlock the phone with iOS 5.1.
Hi,

I have not unlocked my phone at all. DO NOT UNLOCK it. I am using GEVEY ULTRA PRO sim along with local service provider sim upon it. If more details required you can call me on 9742955155.
Old 17th May 2012, 19:00   #4510
BHPian

For those who have iPhone 4 & 4S phone bought outside India and if their iPhone are LOCKED and if you want these iOS 5.0.1/5.1 upgraded iPhones to be used in India with any carriers (like I have), please do buy GEVEY ULTRA Pro/ULTRA S.

LATEST GENUINE GEVEY Ultra S UNLOCK Turbo Sim Card iPhone 4S iOS 5.1 5.0.1 5.0
*5.1.1 latest version supported*OVER 3K SOLD US SELLER*

This is a turbo sim, which doesn't unlock your iPhone, but it simply bypasses your carrier calls.

Since, I was getting lots of requests for details on HOW TO GET iPHONE's unlocked for iOS 5.0.1 and above. Hear is the answer.

there is no official unlock or jailbreak releases from DEV team on these upgraded iOS versions.
Old 17th May 2012, 20:30   #4511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I had the home button issue and realized that it works very well if I press the button around the edges of the circle/button. No issues since.
My warranty was running out month end, so replaced with a new one. Had intermittent issues with home button. They gave me new piece within 20mins. Since its new one, I think it will last another year. But no warranty after May.
Old 17th May 2012, 21:37   #4512
BHPian

Hi folks,
I bought an iPhone 4
3 months back
Now i am facing a problem with it
Not exactly a problem, but i have noticed something recently.

The home button on my iPhone has become a bit lose.
I have an iPhone 3GS as well and the button on it is still firm and in its place.
I also checked with a friends year old iPhone 4 and the button had that firmness.

I contacted apple and went to the service centre.
They say they will replace my handset.
Now the thing is, that the replacement set which apple will provide me will not be a brand new piece but a refurbished one.
So it means i have no guarantee of getting a better piece or ending up with something worse.

Everything else on my phone works like a charm.
And there is no issue at all apart from the loose button.
The button in fact works fine but it doesnt have that firmness.

I am confused, shall i get my phone replaced or shall i continue using the same set. ?
Old 17th May 2012, 22:24   #4513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik

I contacted apple and went to the service centre.
They say they will replace my handset.
Now the thing is, that the replacement set which apple will provide me will not be a brand new piece but a refurbished one.
So it means i have no guarantee of getting a better piece or ending up with something worse.
I am confused, shall i get my phone replaced or shall i continue using the same set. ?
Well, the issue doesn't warrant a replacement. However, if you want, get a replacement and don't worry about getting bad refurbished piece. Since it's refurbished piece, it would have gone thru more stringent manual QA process than your brand new factory one. U would not worry about refurbished piece from Apple itself.

Besides, the refurbished piece also carry the same warranty.
Old 18th May 2012, 00:13   #4514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power

Well, the issue doesn't warrant a replacement. However, if you want, get a replacement and don't worry about getting bad refurbished piece. Since it's refurbished piece, it would have gone thru more stringent manual QA process than your brand new factory one. U would not worry about refurbished piece from Apple itself.

Besides, the refurbished piece also carry the same warranty.
So according to you i must get a replacement for the phone ?

I'll wait until an untethered jailbreak comes for the 5.1
Until then i'll live with this.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:23   #4515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik

So according to you i must get a replacement for the phone ?

I'll wait until an untethered jailbreak comes for the 5.1
Until then i'll live with this.
What I am saying is, if you decide to get it replaced under warranty, do not worry about the new handset being refurbished as it would have passed stringent manual QA process. It's your call to get it replaced it or not depending on the home button firmness. Alternatively, what you can do is, wait until 11th month of your warranty and then get it replaced. So that you get new handset after almost an year of usage.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 18th May 2012 at 01:24.

Most Viewed