Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2013, 21:19   #6076
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post

I was using an iphone 3gs earlier and now use an android device. I have also never paid for whatsapp and I also get a similar screen on my android device. All my friends and family get another screen that shows their "free time" validity.
I've seen this happen with a few other friends. If you make a move from iOS to Android and install Whatsapp on your Android, using the same number that you were earlier on the iPhone, Whatsapp magically gets free for lifetime!

Don't know the logic, but I'll try it the other way around and see.
Old 27th July 2013, 23:06   #6077
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Question to iPhone 4 Users who are using/have used a recent Android device also. There is this offer from Apple for the iPhone 4@20600 for exchange with any decent smartphone (Rs 6000 for the old one discounted from the iphone 4 price of Rs 26600).

Question is: Is it worth buying an iPhone 4 at this price, considering it was originally released 3 years back.

Background: I own an Xperia Sola and am not happy with it (Poor Battery life, no more upgrades, generally slow for my use). I am not willing to spend above 20K on a phone and none of the Androids under 20K interest me. my take is that manufacturers focus more on the high end and the low end of the market and the middle range is not given due importance. No retailer is willing to give more than Rs 3000 for my 10 month old Xperia Sola which is still in the market at around 14K. So this offer on iPhone 4 is tempting. Other option is the Nokia Lumia series which I am also exploring.

Just noticed that Flipkart is selling it at 24900 with a 10% Citibank Credit Card Cash Back which makes it around 22500 without any need to give in the new phone!! But my question still remains.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 27th July 2013 at 23:09. Reason: additional content
Old 28th July 2013, 09:58   #6078
BHPian

With majority iphone using countries moved to iPhone5 and hoping for the next upgrade (iPhone 5G? or iPhone 6?), I can only think - leftover iPhone4 from other countries are dumped to India.
The ads are splashed everywhere to "upgrade" to iPhone4. Really? upgrade?
For new iPhone buyers, I feel minimum should be iPhone4s if not iPhone5.
Old 28th July 2013, 12:16   #6079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Question to iPhone 4 Users who are using/have used a recent Android device also. There is this offer from Apple for the iPhone 4@20600 for exchange with any decent smartphone (Rs 6000 for the old one discounted from the iphone 4 price of Rs 26600).

Question is: Is it worth buying an iPhone 4 at this price, considering it was originally released 3 years back.

Background: I own an Xperia Sola and am not happy with it (Poor Battery life, no more upgrades, generally slow for my use). I am not willing to spend above 20K on a phone and none of the Androids under 20K interest me. my take is that manufacturers focus more on the high end and the low end of the market and the middle range is not given due importance. No retailer is willing to give more than Rs 3000 for my 10 month old Xperia Sola which is still in the market at around 14K. So this offer on iPhone 4 is tempting. Other option is the Nokia Lumia series which I am also exploring.

Just noticed that Flipkart is selling it at 24900 with a 10% Citibank Credit Card Cash Back which makes it around 22500 without any need to give in the new phone!! But my question still remains.
Wait for new iPhone launch which will be released in September and then you can either Buy iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 for lesser price.
Old 28th July 2013, 12:32   #6080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

Speculation is rife over the possible launch of a new 'budget' iPhone, there are several leaked photos of the same. I would suggest you wait for a couple of months before taking the plunge. Although the iPhone4 will support the upcoming iOS 7, it would be a little too old with a single core processor.

I remember how laggy the iPhone 3G was with iOS4, and boy was it terrible.
Old 29th July 2013, 19:24   #6081
Senior - BHPian

I still have the 4. I didnt upgrade to 5 as I could not see enough value then. I am very eager to replace with the new release the moment its out. I also have the Ipad Mini.

I am running the latest OS and it works well. For an absolutely new smartphone user, 4 at this cost makes sense. And for many owning an Apple product is a status symbol. So this strategy works in India. The sales numbers prove that.
Old 29th July 2013, 21:14   #6082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
For new iPhone buyers, I feel minimum should be iPhone4s if not iPhone5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Wait for new iPhone launch which will be released in September and then you can either Buy iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 for lesser price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
I remember how laggy the iPhone 3G was with iOS4, and boy was it terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I am running the latest OS and it works well. For an absolutely new smartphone user, 4 at this cost makes sense. And for many owning an Apple product is a status symbol. So this strategy works in India. The sales numbers prove that.
Thanks all for the feedback. After some more thought, felt buying the iPhone 4 was not worth it at this price considering the new models and the low cost models are all expected soon. Also this is not my first smartphone. Have owned several Android phones. My major concern was buying an Android and then getting stuck with an older version of the OS and within no time the particular model is no where in the radar of the manufacturer. And since my budget is around 20K, I cannot afford the flagship models. Hence the thought came up on going the iPhone Route.

I finally decided to go with the Nexus 4 which I can get for 20K with some coupons I had. Ensures I get the latest OS updates and plain Android Experience.
Old 29th July 2013, 22:30   #6083
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a friend who just got a 5. He needs to get his contacts off his Nokia which is in vcf format.

I completely forgot how I transferred my contacts from my E72. Please help.
Old 29th July 2013, 22:52   #6084
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have a friend who just got a 5. He needs to get his contacts off his Nokia which is in vcf format.

Various ways:

Sync with outlook
Or upload to gmail or hotmail and then sync in iPhone.
Old 29th July 2013, 23:40   #6085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
Various ways:

Sync with outlook
Or upload to gmail or hotmail and then sync in iPhone.
Thanks. Yes, I remember, it was the outlook method via nokia suite and then via itunes to 4.

Isn't there a method where the contacts are copied to memory card, copied and pasted on the contacts folder in Windows and then synced via itunes? Does it work?
Old 30th July 2013, 00:38   #6086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't there a method where the contacts are copied to memory card, copied and pasted on the contacts folder in Windows and then synced via itunes? Does it work?
Yes on MAC.
It can be copied to memory card than from memory card to Contacts on mac and then sync via itunes with iPhone.
Old 30th July 2013, 07:57   #6087
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Send the .vcf file as an attachment to the email account configured in the iPhone. After that when you open the attachment in iPhone, it will ask if you want to save the contacts to your phone.
Old 30th July 2013, 08:16   #6088
Senior - BHPian

Here is one good source about the possible launch of iphone 5s and lite in september alongwith the rationale as to why it will launch in September

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iPh...013,23701.html

One of the strong reasons (apart from clearing of unsold stock) why apple is giving discounts (rare in apple's recent history) on iphone 4.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/App...Pad,23457.html
Old 30th July 2013, 09:56   #6089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Yes, I remember, it was the outlook method via nokia suite and then via itunes to 4.

Mail yourself the vcf file and the open it from your mail in your iPhone. It will import the contacts.
Old 30th July 2013, 18:26   #6090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried this. itunes says contacts are synced, but they dont show on the phone. I selected show all contacts on the phone settings, but the synced contacts dont show up.

Most Viewed