Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:30   #13576
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
BTW, I understand that the box does not come with a charging brick. Do I have to buy a new Apple charging brick or would the 6S charging brick work with the 12 mini? Would it be slow? What is the charging voltage of the 12 series? 5v or 9v or both?
Yeah it is possible to use the charging brick from the iPhone 6s but keep in mind that the iPhone 12 mini is capable of fast charging at 20W so you will be losing out on that.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:10   #13577
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, have you guys noticed the infamous 'green tint' issue in your 12 series iPhones? This is supposedly a concerning issue for the 12 series iPhones.

I am too seeing this in my 12 Pro.

Apple has silently released a patch for this with the iOS 14.5 Beta 2; however, around 40% people say that the issue is persistent.
Not facing it on my 12 Pro. I too am running 14.5 Beta 2. Didnt see anything in the changelog to fix it. Since I didnt have the issue in the first place, no difference.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:18   #13578
BHPian

Guys,
I'm currently using a OnePlus 7T but I am looking to get into the iOS ecosystem. Is the iPhone 12 pro/pro max a worthy change or should I wait and see what this year's iPhones bring to the table?
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:07   #13579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Guys,
I'm currently using a OnePlus 7T but I am looking to get into the iOS ecosystem. Is the iPhone 12 pro/pro max a worthy change or should I wait and see what this year's iPhones bring to the table?
Form factor for sure will continue in iPhone 13 or 12s. Expect 120hz refresh rate and stronger MagSafe magnet. In photography expect auto astro photo mode for sky shots specially in night.
Go for iPhone 12 Pro or max if you are getting good discount or getting it from US or UAE, otherwise wait for new model or greater discount, say during Amazon prime sale or similar.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:38   #13580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
The 6s charging brick will work just fine albeit at a slower speed. But since the battery capacity of the 12 Mini is less, it should take nearly the same time to charge as the 6s. However, the Mini does support a 20W fast charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Yeah it is possible to use the charging brick from the iPhone 6s but keep in mind that the iPhone 12 mini is capable of fast charging at 20W so you will be losing out on that.
I feel it is prudent to invest on the Apple charging brick - its not very expensive.

But when I search the internet I see conflicting specs. Most of the places it just says 20W charger, but does not mention the voltage/ampere.

Some support pages mentions 5V/4A while some mention 9V/2.2A. And I read somewhere that the magsafe wireless charger requires a 9V charger. Something which should have been a simple affair had they bundled a charger with the phone has turned out to be so confusing!

Can somebody tell me which one is compatible with the iPhone 12 mini? If possible provide a link to an Amazon/Flipkart page.
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:53   #13581
BHPian

Quote:
Can somebody tell me which one is compatible with the iPhone 12 mini? If possible provide a link to an Amazon/Flipkart page.
My recommendation would be to simply get the 20W adapter from the official Apple store. I am personally using one for my 12 Pro since a month & have absolutely no issues. It is compatible with all the iPhones that support fast charging, including the 12 Mini. You can use the same for Magsafe charger too.

No idea about the third party fast charge adapter that are available on Flipkart / Amazon & wouldn’t reccommend getting one for such an expensive phone.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd February 2021 at 21:04. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 23rd February 2021, 23:51   #13582
BHPian

Quote:
I feel it is prudent to invest on the Apple charging brick - its not very expensive.

I picked the official apple charger from amazon for my Mini. the model is A2246

https://www.amazon.in/Apple-20W-USB-...=1&ext_vrnc=hi

It supports 9V/2.2A output (PD) for 200-240 V range. In Case you still want to see the specifications I can share pictures tomorrow.
Old 24th February 2021, 10:22   #13583
BHPian

Quote:

But when I search the internet I see conflicting specs. Most of the places it just says 20W charger, but does not mention the voltage/ampere.

Some support pages mentions 5V/4A while some mention 9V/2.2A. And I read somewhere that the magsafe wireless charger requires a 9V charger. Something which should have been a simple affair had they bundled a charger with the phone has turned out to be so confusing!

Get the Apple one. The price difference between a high quality 3rd party one and Apple one is just 400-500. For such an expensive phone, stick to Apple charger. I too bought one directly from Apple Store and they delivered in a day.
Old 24th February 2021, 10:28   #13584
BHPian

Quote:
Do I have to buy a new Apple charging brick or would the 6S charging brick work with the 12 mini? Would it be slow? What is the charging voltage of the 12 series? 5v or 9v or both?
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

It supports 9V/2.2A output (PD) for 200-240 V range. In Case you still want to see the specifications I can share pictures tomorrow.
I would recommend this charger too. It is also compatible with the Magsafe wireless charger in case you decide to get one later. Gifted all 3 to my dad, so have working experience of it.
Old 24th February 2021, 15:11   #13585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Form factor for sure will continue in iPhone 13 or 12s. Expect 120hz refresh rate and stronger MagSafe magnet. In photography expect auto astro photo mode for sky shots specially in night.
The higher refresh rate, astrophotography and possible under-display touch ID are seriously tempting me to wait. The OnePlus is just 32 months old so I do not have any problem in waiting, I think that is the logical thing to do.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:47   #13586
BHPian

My wife's mini arrived today. I chickened out at the last moment and decided not to give the ailing 6S in exchange. Its too good a phone to give away for 5K. I will get the wifi fixed and use myself.

Setting up the mini, I couldn't help thinking that it closely resembles my erstwhile iPhone 5S. There was no learning curve except getting used to swipe instead of the home button - which took like 1 minute. Face ID is quick - no drama or animation like in Android.

Overall, a nice phone. I think I should get one myself - maybe the regular size or the 13 when it comes with a smaller notch. Till then, I'll play with the 6S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
No idea about the third party fast charge adapter that are available on Flipkart / Amazon & wouldn’t reccommend getting one for such an expensive phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Get the Apple one. The price difference between a high quality 3rd party one and Apple one is just 400-500. For such an expensive phone, stick to Apple charger. I too bought one directly from Apple Store and they delivered in a day.
Not looking for third party chargers, just buying from Amazon/Flipkart as Apple does not ship to my pincode. My place used to be a containment zone long ago, but Apple still seem to think that it is still a containment zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I would recommend this charger too. It is also compatible with the Magsafe wireless charger in case you decide to get one later. Gifted all 3 to my dad, so have working experience of it.
OK, am getting this one. Thanks everybody

Can somebody suggest a good case? Need one that is not be slippery, that's all.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 13:05   #13587
BHPian

Quote:
OK, am getting this one. Thanks everybody

Can somebody suggest a good case? Need one that is not be slippery, that's all.
THIS. I strongly suggest you buy the charger from Apple site.
vinu_h is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:17   #13588
BHPian

Is there any way to record calls in iPhone ? Need to record certain calls and I don’t want to get an android phone just for this .
Old 25th February 2021, 21:31   #13589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Is there any way to record calls in iPhone ? Need to record certain calls and I don't want to get an android phone just for this .
If you're ok with using Truecaller, then you can. A quick Google search shows that this app has a call-recording feature. Or go through this: https://beebom.com/best-call-recorder-apps-iphone/
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 21:52   #13590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
If you're ok with using Truecaller, then you can. A quick Google search shows that this app has a call-recording feature. Or go through this: https://beebom.com/best-call-recorder-apps-iphone/
Thank you! One of the apps call recorder for iPhone by Arun Nair works very well. Only thing is it’s a paid and it uses 3 way calls to record. So a bit of work to be done for recording calls.

Most Viewed