Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2013, 19:26   #6121
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Reliance buys apple products from the distributors itself for it iStore. But i cannot speak good of iStore employees who supposedly are trained by apple india. They did not know that the Mac air does not have retina display when i checked last time, and they said it indeed has one.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:47   #6122
Senior - BHPian

I need to replace the battery of my Wife’s iPhone 3GS. iRepair India is quoting 2.5K for the battery, including 6 months warranty. At eBay, the batteries start from as low as 500 INR.

What will be the best bet in terms of reliability - eBay or iRepair India?

If any of you have brought the battery from eBay and is satisfied with the performance, can you please give the link or eBay store name from where you brought it?

--Anoop
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:59   #6123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I'm not sure about the iPod battery, but I bought an iPhone battery manufactured and sold by a third party for about Rs.1,060/- (with today's Rupee exchange rate). I never had to use it, but I bought it at the time with the thought that the next model would be out in 6 months and there would be no availability of spares for the old model.
Thanks for the info

Is it possible to replace the battery by self?

Saw some batteries with "tools" on ebay
Old 2nd September 2013, 14:49   #6124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
Just got my 3GS battery changed for about 1500. I was also given a quote of 4K when I logged a ticket. But when I walked into the store, the guy there said it was 1750 and 750 for opening the device. If possible walk in or call and ask for Vikram.
Cheers...Juggy
Hey, can you please shed some light on how did you manage to get the battery changed for 1500, if they are quoting 1750 for battery and 750 for opening the device?

I am considering getting the battery changed from them and they said the battery si out of stock now and can be expected next week.

--Anoop
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:30   #6125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post

Hey, can you please shed some light on how did you manage to get the battery changed for 1500, if they are quoting 1750 for battery and 750 for opening the device? please

--Anoop
That was their quote. I had the 3GS power button replaced for 1750, and requested for a fresh battery. They charged 750 for opening it up, but since they did not have stock, they offered to waive the 750 when I changed battery. Am not sure why they keep giving out this 4K quote.

Batteries are available for $5+ on Amazon & EBay with toolkit. If you have the nerve to open it out, there are plenty of instructions as well.

I'll say this for iRepair. They got the power button fixed the same day, but called later to tell me the battery was stocked out. I also noticed a paper completely obscuring the camera lens on the inside (left over after opening up), which I thought was sloppy.

I got a quote for 1500 from elsewhere, and got my spare 3GS battery replaced. This guy does not plan on re-stocking. So am still waiting for iRepair to call on battery stock, as the paper issue means I need to open it anyways. Hope this clarifies.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:24   #6126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
Is it possible to replace the battery by self?
Yes, it is. Depending on which model you have, there is usually a pair of tiny screws toward the bottom with screw heads that have a star shape (no, not a plus shape; it's an actual 5-point star shape - it's called a pentalobe-shape) so you will need to get another screw driver for it too. Then, slide the back like you would slide a Nokia phone cover. There's one more screw holding the battery in place on the flat plate-like structure and after you've removed that screw, you can use the plastic tool to lift the plate and then get the battery out, then fit in the new battery and follow the instructions in reverse. :-)

Last edited by k_nitin_r : 4th September 2013 at 11:28.
Old 4th September 2013, 11:45   #6127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Yes, it is. Depending on which model you have, there is usually a pair of tiny screws toward the bottom with screw heads that have a star shape (no, not a plus shape; it's an actual 5-point star shape - it's called a pentalobe-shape) so you will need to get another screw driver for it too. Then, slide the back like you would slide a Nokia phone cover. There's one more screw holding the battery in place on the flat plate-like structure and after you've removed that screw, you can use the plastic tool to lift the plate and then get the battery out, then fit in the new battery and follow the instructions in reverse. :-)
Thanks mate for the info

I've Classic 160 GB model, can you suggest location of screws since unable to locate
Old 5th September 2013, 14:40   #6128
BHPian

Quote:
I've Classic 160 GB model, can you suggest location of screws since unable to locate
I checked and found that the iPod Classics don't have screws near the bottom like the iPhones. You have to wedge it open from the seam that holds the front and rear together, like you would when opening a TV remote. As is common with this kind of design, disassembly can test your patience and your faith in the strength of the materials used in the construction of the device body. The disassembly also involves bending the body slightly to get the device opened (the clips holding it together are very stubborn) so you will see slight deforming even if you let a repair workshop do it for you. You have to use the provided tool as well as something to prevent it from snapping back together, so you could use a pair of extra helping hands.

It's ironic how companies fare. Nokia made devices for consumers - users could change the covers (snap-on covers), screens (with the 'shell' design covers), and batteries themselves, and they can install any software they choose without having to circumvent any security mechanisms. The company ran into financial troubles and got acquired by Microsoft.
Apple made devices that users can't insert additional memory into, can't change batteries, can't install software unless it's been 'approved' by Apple, and when something breaks, they'd have to buy a new one - the company still has huge profits from selling its products and is one of the market leaders.
Old 5th September 2013, 16:40   #6129
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks mate for the info

Please visit http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Replacin...+Battery/561/1 for pictorial representation of iPod classic battery replacement.

In fact this site gives repair solutions to various problems we face in iProducts.
Old 5th September 2013, 21:35   #6130
BHPian

The home button of my iPhone 4 is acting erratically from last 2 days, I have to press it hard and it works once on every 5-6 presses. I read somewhere that the home button is iPhone 4 has this problem. Can someone suggest a reliable place in Chennai i can get this changed or repaired. Mine is a officially unlocked iPhone 4 purchased from a Apple store in London.
Old 5th September 2013, 21:38   #6131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
The home button of my iPhone 4 is acting erratically from last 2 days, I have to press it hard and it works once on every 5-6 presses. I read somewhere that the home button is iPhone 4 has this problem. Can someone suggest a reliable place in Chennai i can get this changed or repaired. Mine is a officially unlocked iPhone 4 purchased from a Apple store in London.
If its still under warranty, any retailer in India will probably replace your phone for free..
Old 5th September 2013, 21:42   #6132
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
A first class place for any i Device repairs- called i Repair. Available in Bangalore and Hyderabad as of now. Excellent people.

The iPhone Thread-image1620434993.jpg
Old 5th September 2013, 22:17   #6133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
If its still under warranty, any retailer in India will probably replace your phone for free..
Its out of warranty. Purchased in Jan 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A first class place for any i Device repairs- called i Repair. Available in Bangalore and Hyderabad as of now. Excellent people.
No Plans of visiting Bangalore anytime soon. I am looking at options in Chennai
Old 5th September 2013, 22:22   #6134
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Its out of warranty. Purchased in Jan 2011.

No Plans of visiting Bangalore anytime soon. I am looking at options in Chennai
Try a 'phone consult' and ask their advice. That's why I posted their pic and numbers.
Old 6th September 2013, 05:58   #6135
BHPian

Quote:
Which part of chennai do you belong to? Mr. Service at Vadapalani and Anna nagar and few shops at parson complex do this button replacement. Sangeetha mobiles on TTK road can also do a better job. To replace the button, entire casing including digitizer is to be dismantled though!

Most Viewed