Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2013, 16:42   #6061
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Whatsapp is now free on the iPhone (iOS in general). On Android it was free to begin with, but iPhone users were complaining even for that $0.99 charge they had to pay for this nifty little app. Well, rejoice

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1862...s-new-features
Old 17th July 2013, 17:00   #6062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Shocked to read this comment of yours. I know to each its own, but I am using iservice services from March 2011 (the day i bought my first iPhone - iPhone 4) and i felt their service was very phenomenal. Since my iPhone 4 does not have indian warranty (bought from US) for any issues i always take their repair service. Just 8 months back my sleep/power button stopped working and they repaired it replacing it with OEM part. Likewise i have recommended their name to many people in my office, friend circle and even other forums and all of them were very satisfied with their repair/unlock service.

If it is OK with you, for benefit of others can you please share your bad experiences with iservice here?
LazyBrain, frankly speaking it was a very frustrating experience. Will try and give you an over view below.

Broke my iPhone 4 screen and was looking for repair centers. Finalized on iService and gave the phone for a screen change in about 3 hours (waited there itself). Got the screen changed and headed back home to find the proximity sensor not working. Informed iService and they asked me to bring the handset back. Next day gave them the handset but after spending the entire day on it, they were not able to fix the issue so I asked them to just put the phone back together. They gave me the phone and asked me to pay 350 bucks for service chanrges!! even though the proximity sensor wasn't fixed, they asked me to pay up. I put up a fight and they let the payment go. Got back in the car to head home only to find out the power button wasn't working which was perfectly fine all this while.

They asked me to come back the next day again (confirmed that I would not have to pay 'service charges') to get it fixed.

Overall i spent over 12-15 hours for a screen replacement and fix issues which were not there in the first place. Price was decent and no complaints on that end but I would not recommend anyone to take thier service since there is no peace of mind.

I even tried to leave a negative feedback on their fb page and they just deleted all the negative posts! No wonder they have only positive posts on FB.

I guess to each his own as you mentioned LazyBrain. But I had a very disappointing experience and i would strongly recommend against these guys. I guess since for you nothing went wrong, you did not have to face this issues with their service. Hope your good luck continues.
Old 17th July 2013, 19:14   #6063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
I even tried to leave a negative feedback on their fb page and they just deleted all the negative posts! No wonder they have only positive posts on FB.

I guess to each his own as you mentioned LazyBrain. But I had a very disappointing experience and i would strongly recommend against these guys. I guess since for you nothing went wrong, you did not have to face this issues with their service. Hope your good luck continues.
Thanks for letting us know and alerting us on this. Screen getting cracked is a major issue for apple devices and it really tests skills of third party service providers. May be i never faced any major issue, i never had any bad experience with them. But you posting the info. here is greatly appreciated since in future if i have any major issue with my device, i will think twice before going to iService.

BTW of-late reading a lot of good reviews about iRepair, koramangala. I would certainly consider these guys as an option in future. When you compare iService with iRepair, are the iRepair guys fairly priced for the repair service?
Old 17th July 2013, 21:48   #6064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Thanks for letting us know and alerting us on this. Screen getting cracked is a major issue for apple devices and it really tests skills of third party service providers. May be i never faced any major issue, i never had any bad experience with them. But you posting the info. here is greatly appreciated since in future if i have any major issue with my device, i will think twice before going to iService.

BTW of-late reading a lot of good reviews about iRepair, koramangala. I would certainly consider these guys as an option in future. When you compare iService with iRepair, are the iRepair guys fairly priced for the repair service?
LazyBrain, Another friend of mine had a cracked screen and he tried out iRepair. As i mentioned the work was good (assurance of genine product which I dont really have as the screen doesnt come as a standalone part) and he also has an entire worry free year ahead as they promised him any work or faulty part will be replaced free of cost for 1 year. It was about 1.5k costlier than iService, but IMHO i would take that anyday for peace of mind which i get.

On an average iService will undercut iRepair by about 15%.
Old 17th July 2013, 22:40   #6065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Whatsapp is now free on the iPhone (iOS in general). On Android it was free to begin with, but iPhone users were complaining even for that $0.99 charge they had to pay for this nifty little app. Well, rejoice

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/1862...s-new-features
I never paid for it,but it has always been free on my Non JB'd iphone
Old 18th July 2013, 10:52   #6066
BHPian

I've had a good experience with iService. My iPhone 4 screen was broken after a nasty fall on the road. They not only quoted a lower price than iRepair, they delivered the phone to me in an hour. The touch screen has been working great since the last 5 months or so. As responsive as the original touch screen.

Last edited by nileshch : 18th July 2013 at 10:57.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:58   #6067
Senior - BHPian

Okay so as it turns out Whatsapp for the iPhone is not really that "Free" afterall. It's free for the first year, and after that you pay $0.99/year. Pocket change.

http://www.iclarified.com/32030/what...-new-ios-users
Old 19th July 2013, 18:47   #6068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Okay so as it turns out Whatsapp for the iPhone is not really that "Free" afterall. It's free for the first year, and after that you pay $0.99/year. Pocket change.

http://www.iclarified.com/32030/what...-new-ios-users
I thought it was always paid app since day 1. Don't know if something changed it between but I have been using it since last few years and when I bought, it was $0.99.

However, I think it's free for first year on Android and then becomes paid.
Old 20th July 2013, 01:04   #6069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post

I thought it was always paid app since day 1. Don't know if something changed it between but I have been using it since last few years and when I bought, it was $0.99.

However, I think it's free for first year on Android and then becomes paid.
It is same for Blackberry as well.

First year from registration date is free after that it is Rs. 55/- per year.

AFAIK for iOS it was $0.99 from day one but now they have made it 1 year free than $0.99.
Old 20th July 2013, 11:58   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Hello iPhone users, I have to buy an iPhone 4S or 5 and this has to be done tomorrow itself as it is a birthday gift, the D date being 22nd i.e Monday.

Is there an apple store somewhere in Dilli which provides the complete apple experience in terms of the ambience, display etc. I am based in the southern part of Dilli but am not averse to travelling anywhere in town. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
Old 20th July 2013, 12:08   #6071
Senior - BHPian

So I just shifted my account on whatsapp from another phone and got this;I never paid for it???

The iPhone Thread-image1362793268.jpg
Old 20th July 2013, 13:32   #6072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
So I just shifted my account on whatsapp from another phone and got this;I never paid for it???
I heard its become free now on the iPhone too. Was charged earlier.
Old 20th July 2013, 14:55   #6073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post

I heard its become free now on the iPhone too. Was charged earlier.
Free for the first year for new buyers.
For people who have already bought it, whatsapp is free for lifetime
Old 20th July 2013, 20:28   #6074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hello iPhone users, I have to buy an iPhone 4S or 5 and this has to be done tomorrow itself as it is a birthday gift, the D date being 22nd i.e Monday.

Is there an apple store somewhere in Dilli which provides the complete apple experience in terms of the ambience, display etc. I am based in the southern part of Dilli but am not averse to travelling anywhere in town. Thanks in advance for your inputs.
dedicated shops: iMagine, iNvent,.
Reliance, Croma, Jumbo all have Apple counters.
Old 22nd July 2013, 08:13   #6075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post

Attachment 1113658
I was using an iphone 3gs earlier and now use an android device. I have also never paid for whatsapp and I also get a similar screen on my android device. All my friends and family get another screen that shows their "free time" validity.

Last edited by MurtazaGhiya : 22nd July 2013 at 08:15.

Most Viewed