Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 13:32   #13891
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Been on both sides of the fence (Android and iOS) with flagship phones on the Android side. Currently and I believe for the future will remain inside the beautiful walled garden of iOS. Especially with the AirPods Pro, MacBook Air M1 and Apple TV integration my garden yields all the goodies that I need.

I believe innovation, features, improvements is all well and good but once you get enough of tricking with the phone (launchers, apps etc on the Android side) and want to just use the phone, there is nothing like iOS, smooth, slick, simple, just gets the job done and look amazing while doing it.

My vanilla 11 bought in 2019 updated to 14.8 is running like it did on day one of the purchase. Flagship Android phones don’t do that, there will be lags, stutters and occasional issues. They just don’t have the overall finesse that Apple manages.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:46   #13892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Well, they could have provided all the features in the regular variant and not have the pro variant at all.
So, 120Hz refresh won't make it to regular variant next year(s), your foretell?
smartindboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:50   #13893
Senior - BHPian

I was an Android user for 5+ years. Last year I switched to ios - purchased an Iphone SE.

The biggest problem with Android was the lag which usually starts in about 2 years of purchase. My moto g4+ became practically unusable after 3 years. Opening outlook used to take about 10 seconds. Tried a Xiaomi K20 pro but wasn't happy with the software. Too many ads and it was buggy - MS teams didn't work properly on it.

I'm hoping to use the SE for a total of 5 years, with probably 1 battery change in between. I prefer entry level apple products - such as the iphone SE or the XR, or the ipad 9th gen. They are well priced wrt the value they provide. The higher end products are priced way too high in India and apple should look at reducing their prices. Most models of the iphone 12 are manufactured in India and I don't understand the disparity in pricing with the US.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 14:20   #13894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
So, 120Hz refresh won't make it to regular variant next year(s), your foretell?
It may. When they new things to the pro so that there is enough to differentiate between the pro and regular variants.

If you remember, when HRR first came to the OnePlus phones, only the pro variant got it.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:37   #13895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I was in the same boat as you. I sold mine outside and got more value than trade in and getting the 13! Can't wait!
Apple trade-ins are generally lower than market value but, for a 10-month $1100 phone, $800 for a trade in value is fantastic value.

Not sure how much extra you got over $800 and probably it's newer than mine but, the seamless experience of trade-in through Apple store is worth it over a few extra bucks selling to an external person who will ask 100 unnecessary questions about the condition.

I plan to initiate the trade-in for 13 pro max next month after waiting for some real-time reviews of first-time users.

I'm torn between the Sierra Blue and Dark Grey. What's the color of your choice?

Goodluck on your 13
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 22:52   #13896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Apple trade-ins are generally lower than market value but, for a 10-month $1100 phone, $800 for a trade in value is fantastic value.

Not sure how much extra you got over $800 and probably it's newer than mine but, the seamless experience of trade-in through Apple store is worth it over a few extra bucks selling to an external person who will ask 100 unnecessary questions about the condition.
Not to demotivate you but what you see on the trade-in page is just an indicative price. When you actually trade-in your phone they too have a long list of questions about the condition and various features as well. But if you still prefer a hassle-free experience of trading-in your old phone, nothing can beat Apple's experience.
Old 17th September 2021, 00:31   #13897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Not to demotivate you but what you see on the trade-in page is just an indicative price. When you actually trade-in your phone they too have a long list of questions about the condition and various features as well. But if you still prefer a hassle-free experience of trading-in your old phone, nothing can beat Apple's experience.
You are not demotivating me at all

I have traded in 2 iPhones in the past and both times the experience has been smooth. There is no questions asked whatsoever and you should have to say "Yes" to the questions asked in previous screenshot and that's all there is to it.

They will send you a box and you just put your iPhone in that and ship it back (Ofcourse, all of that is free of charge) and they normally give you 2 weeks time to send the old phone back to them once you receive the new iPhone.

Don't know the process in India but, trade-in process in US is actually a breeze.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 08:31   #13898

Mobile phone industry has reached a critical stage now as most of the development has already happened with very less scope of further advancements. Every generation of mobile phones had substantial changes 5 yrs back in regards to chip size, speed, camera, display, other features. With chips hitting a moore’s law point(they probably cannot go below 2-3nm) and phones already having really good displays and cameras these days new features that are offered are definitely not worth the money. I was a avid viewer of apple events back till 2015, but tbh they don’t have much to offer these days. This is not only just for apple but for all other mobile phones manufacturers out there.
An iPhone 12 is 99 percent same as iphone 13 and the iPhone 11 was 99 percent similar to iPhone 12. The difference is only going to reduce in further years unless they make some gigantic leap where they introduce a quantum chipset or something. The 50 percent chipset benefit that they claim is only for single core, every other manufacturers have caught up with them in multi core and anyways none of the apps these day run on a single core. They have dar superior GPU but you won’t notice the difference unless you are editing 4k videos or mining some bitcoins.
Kelvinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 08:38   #13899
BANNED

I don't really like Apple as a company and yet I use an iPhone 12 Pro because it is convenient and will hold its value better in the used market. The total cost of ownership of an Apple product is lower if you upgrade frequently. When I upgrade to an iPhone 14, I will probably get at least 65-70% of the MRP for my 12 Pro.

That said, Apple is an extremely greedy company and probably quite evil. That charger they removed, it wasn't to help the environment, it was to save a few bucks and optimize profit even more. Same goes for the headphone jack...basically whatever Apple does, it is for their bottom line. Credit where it's due, Apple has some of best engineers and designers in the business. The M1 chip is nothing less than revolutionary.

The right-to-repair movement is going to dent the bottom lines of companies like Apple who go to extreme lengths to make sure their products are not repairable. Legislation has been passed/is being passed in the US and EU to make products repairable. Let's see how Apple tries to subvert those laws, because they will try, for sure.
Electromotive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 08:57   #13900
BHPian

A few notes from a fellow Samsung s10plus owner, 120hz been using for more than 2 years
4k video recording at 30fps? Well mine does it better with 4k video recording at 60 fps. Just a few thoughts. Though my phones more than 2 years old.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:44   #13901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
A few notes from a fellow Samsung s10plus owner, 120hz been using for more than 2 years
4k video recording at 30fps? Well mine does it better with 4k video recording at 60 fps. Just a few thoughts. Though my phones more than 2 years old.
Its 4k 60 with dolby vision hdr which Samsung still does not do by the way. 4k30 is with rack focus feature for video because it requires an enormous amounts of compute to able to get the distance information for each frame of the video (30 fps), recognise faces and then apply blur accordingly.

As for 120hz, the initial implementations had terrible battery efficiency and pretty bad color science as well. Samsung had the first OLED screens in a phone but search up how many of those were susceptible to burn in issues. iPhone's with oled never had any burn in issues. Samsung's implementation is better now with LTPO but they dont sell even close to as many premium phones that Apple does and therefore dont have to contend with as many issues with yield or capacity as Apple does. By the way, can you have the full refresh rate at highest resolution on your Galaxy S10? No.

Samsung's 120hz implementation was pretty poor even with Galaxy S20 along with other gimicky features like 100x zoom
https://www.sammobile.com/news/galax...-battery-life/

To be honest I never had an issue with 60hz screen on an iPhone because it is smooth anyway but I know for a fact that their smoothness with 120hz will be next level primarily because the full vertical stack works as one i.e. software, display controller and then the screen itself.

Not all cars are the same just because they have an engine and 4 wheels.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 17th September 2021 at 09:51.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 09:54   #13902
Senior - BHPian

Trade-in value in India is really poor ! I entered my serial number on the apple India website and it offered me 10700 for the iphone SE purchased last year. That's only about 30% of the price of a new iphone SE.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 17th September 2021 at 09:56.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:58   #13903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
I don't really like Apple as a company and yet I use an iPhone 12 Pro because it is convenient and will hold its value better in the used market. The total cost of ownership of an Apple product is lower if you upgrade frequently. When I upgrade to an iPhone 14, I will probably get at least 65-70% of the MRP for my 12 Pro.

That said, Apple is an extremely greedy company and probably quite evil. That charger they removed, it wasn't to help the environment, it was to save a few bucks and optimize profit even more. Same goes for the headphone jack...basically whatever Apple does, it is for their bottom line. Credit where it's due, Apple has some of best engineers and designers in the business. The M1 chip is nothing less than revolutionary.
So Apple's greedy and evil and you are giving in to their greed by buying their products because they are actually good, last longer and hold their value better? Ever thought that a product's price is determined by how much people are willing to pay for it and not just bill of materials? Well removing the charger does help their bottom line but it also helps the environment. Do you know Apple's committed to being carbon neutral across its entire business, manufacturing supply chain, and product life cycle by 2030 and the fact that they will hold themselves to it? How do you think they are going to achieve it?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 17th September 2021 at 09:59.
Old 17th September 2021, 10:23   #13904
BHPian

I have been user of various models of iPhone in the past.

Absolutely pathetic quality of call volume which is barely audible in public. I really envy android for the loud call volume.

Is there any improvement of call volume in iPhone 11, 12 or 13?
Old 17th September 2021, 10:27   #13905
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
So Apple's greedy and evil and you are giving in to their greed by buying their products ... Do you know Apple's committed to being carbon neutral across its entire business, ...going to achieve it?
I don't defend corporations. And I am certainly not giving in to THEIR greed. I am doing what's best for me, serving MY greed/interests. I buy Apple phones because they hold their value and I, therefore, lose a lot less money when I upgrade.

Yes, Apple is greedy, very much so. They have the highest profit margins in the industry (greater than 40%). Source 1, Source 2
But consumers are willing to pay that price when they don't have to pay the full price upfront, like in developed markets.

Going green/carbon neutral is the right moral stand to take so every billion/trillion dollar MNC is pledging to become carbon neutral; that doesn't make Apple special. In fact, Apple has used being environment friendly as an excuse to further increase profits while creating short lived products like ear pods, which get thrown away once the batteries die in a couple of years. Other companies follow Apple and add to the pile of non recycle-able waste.

Where were Apple's ethics when Foxconn was violating worker's rights and treating them like slaves to fulfill Apple's production deadlines? Then there are also the tax avoidance issues. Apple does what benefits their bottom line and keeps shareholders happy. Don't defend corporations, any corporation, they will push boundaries and bend rules as long as they can get away with it.

Last edited by Electromotive : 17th September 2021 at 10:38.
Electromotive is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed