Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2021, 16:09   #13876
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

There are very few people (hopefully) who can afford to upgrade the phone every year. Most of the junta updates on 2-3 years cycle, while people like me update after 5-6 year cycle. Apple’s strength is not revolutionary changes every year, but rather strong integration of the small incremental features they add every year. Just look at the journey of the same body style from iPhone 6 to iPhone 11.

So let’s not bash small increments. It is also all mobile company’s fault that they have made everybody expect something great every year. If they could launch at intervals of 2 years, expectations would be justified.

That being said, I am glad they got bigger batteries for Mini as that will be my buy from using iPhone 7 for so long. I hope there are good credit card offers on the way.

Last edited by click : 15th September 2021 at 16:10. Reason: Grammar, spelling
click is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 16:41   #13877
BHPian

I made a mistake by buying iPhone 12 128gb, a month back at 72k.
I should have waited a little longer and get iPhone 13 128gb (as 64gb is dumped now for good) with good HDFC discount of 6k (normally it is there during the new launch) at final cost of 74k.
Rumor of 64gb storage discontinuation came just a week before launch.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 16:50   #13878
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking, apart from 5G support, I don't know what is the big difference between A13/14/15 Bionic chips. From a regular performance perspective, it doesn't seem to matter much. After having got the hang of my S21U, I don't miss my 11Pro that much( still there as my secondary). It's not such a big change to move from the Apple verse to the Droid verse.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 16:52   #13879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
There are very few people (hopefully) who can afford to upgrade the phone every year. Most of the junta updates on 2-3 years cycle, while people like me update after 5-6 year cycle. Apple’s strength is not revolutionary changes every year, but rather strong integration of the small incremental features they add every year. Just look at the journey of the same body style from iPhone 6 to iPhone 11.

So let’s not bash small increments. It is also all mobile company’s fault that they have made everybody expect something great every year. If they could launch at intervals of 2 years, expectations would be justified.

That being said, I am glad they got bigger batteries for Mini as that will be my buy from using iPhone 7 for so long. I hope there are good credit card offers on the way.
Agree with your post 100%. It is from a company as big & iconic as Apple and hence people have set big expectations from the behemoth. One thing though, I think that Apple churning out new phones every year is a bit too much. In fact, just a few months ago, IP12 was launched and I vividly remember most details of that live event. I cannot believe that the same phone is already one generation older. A more rational approach, in my opinion would be to launch another series/lineup once in two years. In between, an 'S' model could be squeezed in.

Just one year to design an entirely new phone and beating expectations of all year on year is a huge task.
saket77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 17:07   #13880
BHPian

Another year, another version of iPhone and as usual there are people complaining about a "lack of innovation". As if Androids are all about innovation and all the years of innovations have made Android phones far ahead of the iPhone.

Android OEMs comes with innovations every year only to dump it after 2-3 iterations. See what happened to curved displays, popup cameras, modular designs and see what is going to happen to foldable phones.

The android world had blasted Apple when it came without the SD card, ditched the headphone jack, introduced the notch, ditched the charger etc and then went on to copy everything.

What innovation are we talking about?
dragonfire is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 20:56   #13881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Lannister View Post
iPhone quality is seemingly going down the drain, as is the support in India given that it's third party operated.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max, purchased in Jan '21 with just 127 battery cycle count in these 9 months, has already reached 90% battery health. And, it's degrading fast! Tried to talk to Apple Support via the App, and got the usual response that "it's normal" as long as it's above 80% they can't (won't) do anything about it even if under warranty. EDIT - After today's iOS 14.8 Update it's now at 89%.
I got the iPhone 12 Promax in November 2020. So, its roughly 10 months old and completed 129 battery cycles. After the 14.8 update my battery capacity is at 94%.

I am also a bit disappointed but, as many said on this thread I stopped worrying about it and just enjoy the phone. My battery used to last anywhere between 30-37 hours on a single charge and now that has come down to 24 hours- 22 hours.

While I know the 13 Pro Max has not too many updates but, I am so tempted to get it after seeing my trade in value

$13 bucks a month is totally worth it. I might just pull the trigger and get the update to enjoy the "Pro Motion" and "Cinematic" features. What say?

The iPhone Thread-img_7379.jpg
Old 16th September 2021, 01:41   #13882
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
If I were you, I would take a chill pill and relax. My XR's battery hit 86% within a year. Now approaching the 3rd year (thats 2 years since it hit 86%) and it still is 86%. The performance has not degraded either.
My battery is at 85% and the backup was fine until I installed Ios 14.7.1. Phone is getting heated up and I have to charge it twice a day now. Today I upgraded it to Ios 14.8. I have no clue, whether it will solve the issue or not. Am using a XR too. Did you face anything similar?
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 04:56   #13883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I got the iPhone 12 Promax in November 2020. So, its roughly 10 months old and completed 129 battery cycles. After the 14.8 update my battery capacity is at 94%.

I am also a bit disappointed but, as many said on this thread I stopped worrying about it and just enjoy the phone. My battery used to last anywhere between 30-37 hours on a single charge and now that has come down to 24 hours- 22 hours.

While I know the 13 Pro Max has not too many updates but, I am so tempted to get it after seeing my trade in value

$13 bucks a month is totally worth it. I might just pull the trigger and get the update to enjoy the "Pro Motion" and "Cinematic" features. What say?

Attachment 2207618
I was in the same boat as you. I sold mine outside and got more value than trade in and getting the 13! Can't wait!
Old 16th September 2021, 09:17   #13884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
My battery is at 85% and the backup was fine until I installed Ios 14.7.1. Phone is getting heated up and I have to charge it twice a day now. Today I upgraded it to Ios 14.8. I have no clue, whether it will solve the issue or not. Am using a XR too. Did you face anything similar?
Nope I did not. I usually charge once in the morning and it stays till early morning next day. I don’t consider myself a light user either.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:32   #13885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Another year, another version of iPhone and as usual there are people complaining about a "lack of innovation". As if Androids are all about innovation and all the years of innovations have made Android phones far ahead of the iPhone.

Android OEMs comes with innovations every year only to dump it after 2-3 iterations. See what happened to curved displays, popup cameras, modular designs and see what is going to happen to foldable phones.

The android world had blasted Apple when it came without the SD card, ditched the headphone jack, introduced the notch, ditched the charger etc and then went on to copy everything.

What innovation are we talking about?
Innovation for the sake of it won't last. That's not the point.
If it wasn't for that innovation by android phones, iPhone's probably won't be having many of the features such as ProMotion for their pro models. Similarly, Androids are also learning to improve from iPhones in areas of video, longevity etc...

As a consumer and tech enthusiasts, Androids get plenty of criticism, more than Apple for sure.
And, when Apple deserves some criticism, there should be. There is no need to defend them. After all, we are consumers, and we pay for their stuff, and we should be demanding to get more value.
smartindboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:06   #13886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Innovation for the sake of it won't last. That's not the point.
If it wasn't for that innovation by android phones, iPhone's probably won't be having many of the features such as ProMotion for their pro models. Similarly, Androids are also learning to improve from iPhones in areas of video, longevity etc...

As a consumer and tech enthusiasts, Androids get plenty of criticism, more than Apple for sure.
And, when Apple deserves some criticism, there should be. There is no need to defend them. After all, we are consumers, and we pay for their stuff, and we should be demanding to get more value.
Innovation is not something that comes every year. Experimentation, yes. What Android OEMs can afford to do is experiment cos they have different product ranges. If it does not work out, ditch it. In the case of iPhones, of all the innovations that it came with, they only had to ditch is 3D touch.

That is because unless they are convinced that a feature is worth adding, they don't simply add it just for the sake of it.

Yes, Apple copied a lot of stuff from Android, but not for the sake of ticking boxes, but after the market proved them to be useful features.

So the crux is this: you are not going to see a new innovation from Apple every year. And I don't think Apple expects you to buy their phones every year. Even the fanboys upgrade every 2 years. And most users, every 3-4 years. Apple gives 5-6 years of OS updates so that you can keep it for a longer time. iPhone 13 is for people who skipped 12. So for people coming from X or 11 there are enough differentiators.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:17   #13887
Senior - BHPian

Apple has never been about innovation - it's always been about delivering a user experience like no other. They don't jump the bandwagon like others just for the sake of innovation - Samsung is already doing that to their own detriment! Case in point? Foldables - too many compromises on what is claimed to be a tablet replacement. The mechanics are so complex, Samsung had to stick warning notes everywhere.

When every Android OEM went notch-less, Apple sat on the sidelines and let others iron out the gremlins. Guess what? iPhone 14 for 2022 will be the first notch-less iPhone according to credible sources. It comes with a punch hole camera. Time and again you'll find Apple doing things that truly make a difference to the user experience and that's what you find on the iPhone 13 as well - subtle increments that may not stop press but immensely add to the experience.

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 16th September 2021 at 12:19.
swiftdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 12:28   #13888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I made a mistake by buying iPhone 12 128gb, a month back at 72k.
I should have waited a little longer and get iPhone 13 128gb (as 64gb is dumped now for good) with good HDFC discount of 6k (normally it is there during the new launch) at final cost of 74k.
Rumor of 64gb storage discontinuation came just a week before launch.
There is no much features comparatively with iPhone 12 & Pro, New iPhone 13 & Pro has smaller notches, additional Lenses, GPU core, A15 Bionic Chip and Cinematic Video shoot. im happy with 12 Mini 128 GB and will wait for i15 model
Old 16th September 2021, 12:34   #13889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Innovation is not something that comes every year. Experimentation, yes. What Android OEMs can afford to do is experiment cos they have different product ranges. If it does not work out, ditch it. In the case of iPhones, of all the innovations that it came with, they only had to ditch is 3D touch.

That is because unless they are convinced that a feature is worth adding, they don't simply add it just for the sake of it.

Yes, Apple copied a lot of stuff from Android, but not for the sake of ticking boxes, but after the market proved them to be useful features.

So the crux is this: you are not going to see a new innovation from Apple every year. And I don't think Apple expects you to buy their phones every year. Even the fanboys upgrade every 2 years. And most users, every 3-4 years. Apple gives 5-6 years of OS updates so that you can keep it for a longer time. iPhone 13 is for people who skipped 12. So for people coming from X or 11 there are enough differentiators.
Your statement sounds as if: when Apple adds a feature, they did so because it is worth adding, and when didn't add, then they are waiting for market approval. Sounds convenient and defensive.

You can't downplay someone when they say Apple could have done better and expected more from them. For example, ProMotion could have been added to non-pro models as well.

Summary is Apple fan boys are more defensive than their counterparts.
When Apple decided to stop including chargers, there are a fair share of apple fans boys who defended the move blindly. But, when Samsung and others followed the same, the Android fan boys didn't defend them but roasted them.
smartindboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 13:12   #13890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartindboy View Post
Your statement sounds as if: when Apple adds a feature, they did so because it is worth adding, and when didn't add, then they are waiting for market approval. Sounds convenient and defensive.
No sir, you just make it sound like that. If Apple had a lineup called iPhone_Experiment, they could have experimented all the useless "innovations" in that series and implemented in the iPhone series if it turns out to be innovation enough. Apple refraining from useless experimentation is what makes the iPhones usable and not gimmicky.
Quote:
You can't downplay someone when they say Apple could have done better and expected more from them. For example, ProMotion could have been added to non-pro models as well.
Well, they could have provided all the features in the regular variant and not have the pro variant at all.
Quote:
Summary is Apple fan boys are more defensive than their counterparts.
That was unnecessary. I use an Android, and don't hate iPhones.
Quote:
When Apple decided to stop including chargers, there are a fair share of apple fans boys who defended the move blindly. But, when Samsung and others followed the same, the Android fan boys didn't defend them but roasted them.
They are getting the flak because when Apple did it they made fun of Apple and now copying them. Google recently released an ad of Pixel 5A where they made fun of Apple for not having a headphone jack, and then they went ahead and introduced the Pixel 6 without one.

https://bgr.com/tech/googles-new-ad-...oming-pixel-6/
dragonfire is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed