Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2021, 17:37   #13801
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Despite very soft usage of the screen, my 4 year old iPhone SE doesnot sometimes respond to touch. I see this both at the centre (to pick calls / slider), or even when trying to switch from alpha to numeric keys.

It does return to normal when I restart it.

Currently running on 12.x.

Any idea what can be the reason ? Phone is always in my belt pouch, and never in my pocket.
I feel it may be beginning of more serious screen issues cropping up where entire screen may become unresponsive. My wife's iPhone 6S Plus had touch disease (was a common issue with this model) problem which started at on place on screen but then impacted entire right side of screen. I got it replaced under warranty then.

I am not qualified to answer this so just guesstimating here.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:14   #13802
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited apple service today to get my iPhone 6s battery changed. The phone is working flawlessly so decided to plonk 3600 bucks for the new battery. Though the part wasn’t available off the shelf so they have placed an order and It will be done in a week’s time.

But the twist is that my requirement is now a dual sim phone, so was looking at XR or the 11 but then no charger, no headphones, no 3.5mm Jack and no lightning to 3.5mm cable looks like too much absurd to handle for a 6S user. Also, August is probably the worst time to shop for an iPhone since new ones will be coming out in a less than month and that means some price cuts for the older phones.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:36   #13803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Visited apple service today to get my iPhone 6s battery changed. The phone is working flawlessly so decided to plonk 3600 bucks for the new battery. Though the part wasn’t available off the shelf so they have placed an order and It will be done in a week’s time.

But the twist is that my requirement is now a dual sim phone, so was looking at XR or the 11 but then no charger, no headphones, no 3.5mm Jack and no lightning to 3.5mm cable looks like too much absurd to handle for a 6S user. Also, August is probably the worst time to shop for an iPhone since new ones will be coming out in a less than month and that means some price cuts for the older phones.
Surprised you were quoted 3600 as I know the apple authorized reseller near me in Mumbai quoted 2900 few months back.
Old 18th August 2021, 20:50   #13804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Surprised you were quoted 3600 as I know the apple authorized reseller near me in Mumbai quoted 2900 few months back.
The prices have gone up now.

I had gotten a replacement in Nov 2020 for 3,000/- for my IP7; the same is now retailing at 3,500/-.

However, there are 3rd party guys who do the same for 2,000/- (genuine battery).

Last edited by ashvek3141 : 18th August 2021 at 20:52.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2021, 20:51   #13805
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I too read somewhere that the replacement cost is Rs. 2999/- but they quoted 3600/-.

The iPhone Thread-0e2dce4f69844479929a81316d2e027f.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post

However, there are 3rd party guys who do the same for 2,000/- (genuine battery).
I checked with some local repairers and they showed me a few batteries. One even with Apple logo on it but told me that they are all copies and not original. Also, I don’t think genuine Apple batteries are available outside of the authorised centers. They quoted 1500/- to 1700/- for them. But I skipped them due to risks associated with lithium ion batteries.

Last edited by saket77 : 18th August 2021 at 21:18.
Old 18th August 2021, 22:10   #13806
BHPian

None of the batteries from local shops is genuine. They are all counterfeit and also somehow they don't show cycles or proper battery health. I have one such battery which shows 100% health and it is almost an year old and my battery drops a lot and very fast when phone is being used and even on standby. But it shows cycles as 3-4 Only.
raksrules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2021, 12:09   #13807
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Battery health of my iPhone 11 prior to the software update was 97%, now its back to 100% after the update!
Old 19th August 2021, 21:07   #13808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Battery health of my iPhone 11 prior to the software update was 97%, now its back to 100% after the update!
Lucky you. I'm on the latest OS and post update my battery capacity went down to 95%

I have now decided to not get too worked up about the capacity and just use it like a phone. I will anyways change it when iPhone 14 comes. So another year to go with this model
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 10:58   #13809
BHPian

Am not able to register for Amazon UPI in my iPhone 6S. Anybody else facing this?

The iPhone Thread-85f85a0608954a589a9bbcf21fb936b3.png

I searched the internet and saw some articles about Google Pay and Amazon Pay not supported in iPhone 6 and 6S due to security issues. However I could install and activate Google Pay without any issue, but not Amazon Pay. Why is that? Is there any security vulnerability in the iPhone 6/6S?

I decided to move all financial transactions to the iPhone from the Oneplus 7 thinking that it will be safer to do transactions in iPhone than Android. Should I ditch the 6S and upgrade to something newer? I was planning to keep it for another year cos it will get iOS15 when it is released in September.
Old 24th August 2021, 11:18   #13810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Am not able to register for Amazon UPI in my iPhone 6S. Anybody else facing this?
This is a known issue. I am also using iPhone 6S. I have UPI working but let me tell you how..

I inserted my SIM in wife's iPhone X, opened amazon app and activated UPI and then put back to SIM in my 6S and it works for sometime. Then on fine day it will again stop saying 6S not allowed and such and I will do same.

I cannot even use ICICI iMobile on my phone. But still HDFC Bank, various mutual fund AMCs work fine. Google Pay also works fine and so does paytm, Phonepe and all that.

I have no idea what security flaw is there but even with some may iOS upgrades, it is still not resolved or our government just things 6S is flawed and made a blanket rejection for this phone.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 11:28   #13811
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iPhone 6S.... what security flaw is there
All iPhone prior to 11 have hardware level flaws that cannot be patched with updates. Situation is pretty bad for 6s and 7.

On these devices, I would strongly recommend to only use bank accounts that you can afford to lose.

One flaw that has been disclosed publicly :

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/27/2...nt-bootrom-ios
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2021, 13:05   #13812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
All iPhone prior to 11 have hardware level flaws that cannot be patched with updates. Situation is pretty bad for 6s and 7.

On these devices, I would strongly recommend to only use bank accounts that you can afford to lose.

One flaw that has been disclosed publicly :

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/27/2...nt-bootrom-ios

The link you gave mentions several devices so why single out 6S?
Old 24th August 2021, 13:59   #13813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The link you gave mentions several devices so why single out 6S?
This issue is publicly disclosed. Issues with 6s and 7 are not public, available for purchase in marketplace.
Old 24th August 2021, 20:06   #13814
BHPian

Quote:
This is a known issue. I am also using iPhone 6S. I have UPI working but let me tell you how..

I inserted my SIM in wife's iPhone X, opened amazon app and activated UPI and then put back to SIM in my 6S and it works for sometime.
Thanks for the tip. I will try that and update.
Quote:
I cannot even use ICICI iMobile on my phone. But still HDFC Bank, various mutual fund AMCs work fine. Google Pay also works fine and so does paytm, Phonepe and all that.

I have no idea what security flaw is there but even with some may iOS upgrades, it is still not resolved or our government just things 6S is flawed and made a blanket rejection for this phone.
I do use ICICI iMobile on the iPhone 6S and UPI works fine too. Even PayTM works. Only Amazon UPI seems to have a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Going through some of the articles online, I understand Google Pay used to not work on the 6S in iOS 12.x, but since iOS 13 it has started working again. I think whatever issue was there in 12.x has been fixed in 13, but Amazon hasn't got the memo yet.
Old 24th August 2021, 20:16   #13815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot even use ICICI iMobile on my phone.
I use a 6s and its on iOS version 14.7.1. ICICI iMobile app works fine for me and so do all other AMC/bank apps. Never tried Amazon UPI, so cant tell but GPay, paytm, PhonePe etc work fine.

About using UPI, I have linked gpay,phonepe etc to a secondary bank account which I can afford to loose. Somehow never had the stomach to link primary salary/savings account to UPI.

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th August 2021 at 20:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks