Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 14:57   #15391
BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So I’m going to wait for iPhone 15 where the rumour is that we will get the USB C type charge port - this will help a lot. Since one will need to carry only one type of charger and cable across multiple devices.
That's what I was thinking too and was on the edge about the purchase. But then almost 20% off on the sticker price for the 512GB pushed me over the edge.

An universal charging port would be convenient. However, Apple probably will go without a charging port and offer just wireless charging in a couple of years time.
Old 11th December 2022, 18:14   #15392
BHPian

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/b68...727234ad458094

Finally found a shortcut to get real time battery capacity specs for iOS16. How much it shipped with (varies slightly for every device) and how much is left.

For those who want more info-
AJ56 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 10:27   #15393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
An universal charging port would be convenient. However, Apple probably will go without a charging port and offer just wireless charging in a couple of years time.
The easiest way for Apple to comply with the EU nuisance is to simply disable wired charging via software. The lightning port can technically remain there for data transfer and other peripherals. By the time, more countries join the EU nonsense, Apple would have moved to portless iPhones.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 12:19   #15394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
The easiest way for Apple to comply with the EU nuisance is to simply disable wired charging via software. The lightning port can technically remain there for data transfer and other peripherals. By the time, more countries join the EU nonsense, Apple would have moved to portless iPhones.
I dont think, i or many others agree with this view.

I have a USB-C charger for my buds, laptop, i pad and other devices. Making the charging port standard is good for all. I am not sure why someone would prefer Lightning ports? Its easy for all.

Wireless charging is good, but Port charging is always faster, safe and economical. Having a Common charging port for all devices really help cut the electronic wastage that we consume today. Just imagine having a single charger for all your devices... phone, iPad, laptop, buds, Trimmer and all..
Mustang_Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:07   #15395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Boss View Post

I have a USB-C charger for my buds, laptop, i pad and other devices. Making the charging port standard is good for all. I am not sure why someone would prefer Lightning ports? Its easy for all.

Wireless charging is good, but Port charging is always faster, safe and economical. Having a Common charging port for all devices really help cut the electronic wastage that we consume today. Just imagine having a single charger for all your devices... phone, iPad, laptop, buds, Trimmer and all..
I’ll agree with him actually, see I could care less about USB-C or lighting as I’ve always used MagSafe as it’s more convenient and more importantly, doesn’t scuff the beautiful stainless steel around the charge port like the physical cable connector does.

What is desperately needed are USB 3.0 speeds on the lighting port (apple already has it on other devices) as syncing lossless media with a mac at USB 2 speeds is a nightmare. Or even better faster airdrop speeds, eliminate cables altogether.

Also, whether one likes USB-C or not isn’t the question. The question is government getting involved in an area of the free market it has no business being involved in. The state shouldn’t be telling mfg’s how to design their products, if anything the EU could do with less red tape not more.

Last edited by AJ56 : 12th December 2022 at 14:11.
AJ56 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:26   #15396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ56 View Post
I’ll agree with him actually, see I could care less about USB-C or lighting as I’ve always used MagSafe as it’s more convenient and more importantly, doesn’t scuff the beautiful stainless steel around the charge port like the physical cable connector does.

What is desperately needed are USB 3.0 speeds on the lighting port (apple already has it on other devices) as syncing lossless media with a mac at USB 2 speeds is a nightmare. Or even better faster airdrop speeds, eliminate cables altogether.
I must agree on how sweet the MagSafe is.

But, If you are an apple fanboy, you also need a USB-C for your Ipad, and
A lightning cable for Iphone. And another charger for the IWatch.

If one even staying in Apple eco system, one still needs different chargers for each device, which is unwarranted.

I agree that governments shouldn't be red taping the rules, but the manufacturers should also work towards cutting unnecessary consumption & curtailing electronic waste.

All companies could come up with a better solution like, A Standard MagSafe for all laptops, and then share the patents and cut electronic waste.

There is no easy solution to this, but, we must standardize at some point.
Mustang_Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 14:49   #15397
BHPian

Quote:

Actually, you can use the same charger even today. Just the cable needs to be different. Well, except if you are using the BBK charging tech. Or do we need a legislation mandating PD charging tech too? Or QC?

And am all for Apple adopting USB-C, just don't want the govts shoving it down our throats.

And in the future somebody invents a new/better port do we expect them to beg the govt to change legislation? And do we expect a govt babu to decide what is best for the masses?
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 10:18   #15398
BHPian

Quote:
And am all for Apple adopting USB-C, just don't want the govts shoving it down our throats.

And in the future somebody invents a new/better port do we expect them to beg the govt to change legislation? And do we expect a govt babu to decide what is best for the masses?
I must admit there are good and bad on the both sides of the aisle and i agree with you partially.

The same Babus dictate all the laws and we all abide by them. The two airbags mandate, ABS mandate, BS6 mandate which reduced pollution in delhi, etc. And i am not fully going to encourage this in Tech world though.

We already have a USB and Display standards association, which collaborates with all companies, including Apple, Intel which were significant contributors to the Usb C standard.

Mandating, All products supporting USB C tech should use the same port. but it is not the case today. Lightning is partially USB 3.0 tech and apple was a significant contributor to it and Intel too, but doesn't abide by the port standard.

There is no right or wrong. As a species, if we want to go forward, we have to cut down some of our unnecessary consumption, i believe.

Anyways, Next year, either IPhones have USB-C port or no port. There is no point in discussing any further on this. Cheers.
Old 14th December 2022, 08:53   #15399
BHPian

Updated to ios16.2 update today and able to connect to 5G network of Airtel in chennai today !
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-eab423bbcf9c4fd486a3337648ddcad8.jpeg  

concorde24 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 10:33   #15400
BHPian

Quote:
...And am all for Apple adopting USB-C, just don't want the govts shoving it down our throats...
Quote:
...Anyways, Next year, either IPhones have USB-C port or no port. There is no point in discussing any further on this. Cheers.
Guys, the EU ruling will have no major bearing on Apple.

The EU rule states that all major phone introduced after Dec 2024 will need to have standard USB-C. That means:
- iPhone 15 (in Sep 2023) won't be affected
- iPhone 16 (in Sep 2024) won't be affected (before Dec 2024)
- iPhone 17 (in Sep 2025) will be the first one to implement this.

And going by Apple's standards I am sure they planned to phase out wired charging anyhow by then. Sell wireless chargers (priced more than standard wires) and comply with EU laws and go-green
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 13:18   #15401
Distinguished - BHPian

I updated my iPhone 13 to 16.2 this morning. Have a Jio esim. Went to settings and turned on 5g On but yet stuck on LTE.

Is there some network carrier update needed for Jio?

Have others in Mumbai been able to use 5g on their iphones today after the update?
Old 14th December 2022, 17:15   #15402
BHPian

I am in Navi Mumbai and updated to 16.2 iOS on my 13 pro max but still unable to see 5G signal for Jio carrier. Any information whether Navi Mumbai is 5G enabled or not?
Old 15th December 2022, 00:29   #15403
Distinguished - BHPian

Received the 14 Plus (Purple) as a birthday gift 5 days back. Marks my 12th year with Apple and iPhone generations.

Coming from the 12, one thing I love about it is the amount of real estate on offer. Display is crisp and touch response is super quick.

Advancement in age is making bigger display phones a blessing in disguise for me. Yes, I am growing old, but no more squinting!

Size comparison with my S21 Ultra:-
The iPhone Thread-img20221214235528.jpg
The iPhone Thread-img20221214235556.jpg

Size comparison with my OnePlus 9 5G:-
The iPhone Thread-20221214_235634.jpg
The iPhone Thread-20221214_235653.jpg

My 3 flagships together (present and past, pics taken by the Tab A7):-
The iPhone Thread-20221214_223806.jpg
The iPhone Thread-20221214_223847.jpg
The iPhone Thread-20221214_224115.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 10:36   #15404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
I am in Navi Mumbai and updated to 16.2 iOS on my 13 pro max but still unable to see 5G signal for Jio carrier. Any information whether Navi Mumbai is 5G enabled or not?
See screenshot. This maybe the issue
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-d2fa0acb50a14c4da382a687fdadcb50.png  

Last edited by Sahil : 15th December 2022 at 10:37.
Old 15th December 2022, 11:46   #15405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I updated my iPhone 13 to 16.2 this morning. Have a Jio esim. Went to settings and turned on 5g On but yet stuck on LTE.

Is there some network carrier update needed for Jio?

Have others in Mumbai been able to use 5g on their iphones today after the update?
Hope you received 5G invite on Jio app. And then 5G trial data pop up which should be activated by clicking on it. You must have 239 and above plan activated also.

Got the invite 20 days back when I was running 16.2 beta. Got the 5G trial data yesterday.
Finally started getting 5G on iPhone 12 in Bangalore North.
Speed is superb. It is connecting to NR radio means I am having VoNR (voice over new radio just like VoLTE). Calls are going over 5G because when I call someone, it stays on 5G (doesn’t switch to LTE or 4G.
Airtel 5g is still nowhere in my area.
Battery usage is up by 30% around because of 5G. I keep 5G auto option and 5G standalone option on. I have Jio esim.
I have recharged for 239 plan as required for 5G invite and use.
Attached Thumbnails
The iPhone Thread-e497db51d26340c0a14a580edaa97d28.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-0eea289cb72c48c5847330fa40093b86.png  

The iPhone Thread-707d6ded7f0643e6a43002715e8f26d5.jpeg  

The iPhone Thread-67f8fabc2b9d432fbcdc09bc57e5d8c4.png  

Last edited by Nicky : 15th December 2022 at 11:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks