Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2023, 12:08   #16141
Senior - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
When the problem started it was on iOS 16.x, and I updated it to check if the older version is a cause. The phone does not heat up when being charged. It is losing 1% battery charge for every 12-14 minutes, even with mobile data being switched off (wi-fi is on) and just left on the table. Yesterday, it dropped from about 96% to 7% in about 16-17 hours.

I dont know if I should consider a 1 year old phone as a classic, yet. Btw, I am not using 5G
Did you update OTA or via iTunes? For major updates (like from 16 to 17), will recommend updating via iTunes.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:00   #16142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
This is actually quite surprising! The 5G label should show only when 5G services are in use. As far as I know, the 8 plus doesn't have support for 5G, hence this is a new development.
Exactly I had to double check if my phone was playing tricks with me and confirm if it is indeed 5G compatible. (For a second was wondering if a software update made it compatible as far i was aware a hardware upgrade is required)

I think this is a marketing trick by airtel to show you are using 5G wherein in reality you might be in 4G or lower.

Last edited by SideView : 23rd December 2023 at 13:01.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2023, 13:41   #16143
Distinguished - BHPian

So had been to iPlanet. The guy ran diagnostics, and there were no errors in any parameter. He was also surprised that I have charged the phone only 94 times till date. (okay, 5.5 months of usage and not a full year). At the moment he asked me to disable "run in background" for apps that I dont use regularly. Not much of a solution, but the phone is under observation for now.

While I can give him some space for that, what left me amused is him telling me to switch on mobile data only when I want to use some app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Did you update OTA or via iTunes? For major updates (like from 16 to 17), will recommend updating via iTunes.
OTA, as have been doing. Will keep that in mind.

Last edited by condor : 23rd December 2023 at 13:51.
Old 24th December 2023, 09:12   #16144
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: no luck with the battery issue. And to make it worse, warranty expired exactly 3 days ago. I guess I will need to get a paid battery replacement :(

Only reason for this issue I can think of is that I have been using a Moto 25W charger for the phone for past 3 months. But then why did the problem come up suddenly ? The degradation was not gradual.
Old 24th December 2023, 16:43   #16145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Seeing some improvements after i disabled icloud sync and 24hrs later. Hoping it settles down. itunes showing 28.48 GB free, whereas iphone showing around 13 GB free. Apple never keeps it simple!!

Attachment 2546925
This is not working . Guess I need to do a backup and reset. Is it better to do iCloud backup and reset or iTunes backup and reset? I spent a day to setup the phone and can’t start fresh again.
Old 24th December 2023, 18:44   #16146
BHPian

Quote:
Only reason for this issue I can think of is that I have been using a Moto 25W charger for the phone for past 3 months. But then why did the problem come up suddenly ? The degradation was not gradual.
This could possibly be the root cause. I too faced pre-mature battery degradation of my IP7 when I was continuously using a 18w powerbank for close to a year. I had completely stopped using the 5w charger in the interest of fast charging by the powerbank.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 21:21   #16147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Battery drain problem, especially on the older models is a classic feature after iOS updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
I have mentioned this somewhere on the forum - the latest iOS updates don't quite support or do any good if I may say, to the older generation of iPhones.
I am aware of it as I graduated from a 7+ to my current 13 pro max. It doesn't bother me much as I hardly use it but battery never used to heat so much in the earlier updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Any which way, the latest update don't bring any significant changes to the older iPhones which warrant an update.
Except for the battery drain issue, a new Journal app is added and has some cool features. Went cycling few days back and it gave me a reminder at night to journal it. It even tracked the number of songs I listened to during that time!

Quote:
I guess I will need to get a paid battery replacement :(
Sir, the paid battery replacements are not on par with the original one. No firsthand experience but have read it online. You mentioned earlier that you don't use it much so I would suggest to wait out for the next update and hope things get sorted out.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2023, 23:37   #16148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-innova-guy View Post
Sir, the paid battery replacements are not on par with the original one. No firsthand experience but have read it online. You mentioned earlier that you don't use it much so I would suggest to wait out for the next update and hope things get sorted out.
I can confirm this, having had battery replaced in my IP 7. The performance is simply no match to the original battery. Ofcourse, mine had degraded beyond 75% so there was definitely an improvement; but nothing like the original.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 00:41   #16149
BHPian

Guys try using 5w charger after your replacement.
Mines still at 95% after two years of usage for my iphone 8 plus.

Try it and see if it helps.

I get 5 hours of screen time with mobile data.
7-8 with wifi.

Cons:
Takes ages to charge (do it overnight) weekdays not much of heavy user. So can live with this.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2023, 09:40   #16150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Guys try using 5w charger after your replacement.
Mines still at 95% after two years of usage for my iphone 8 plus..
Had the charger from my 2017 SE, and switched to that.

Btw, my usage is such that the battery on my 2017 SE was at about 84% after 5.5 years of use.

Looking at the feedback on the replacement batteries - I am in a bit of a fix. The OE battery is not doing good, replacements said to be not good. And I have 5 days of limited warranty left.
Old 25th December 2023, 11:09   #16151
BHPian

Quote:
Had the charger from my 2017 SE, and switched to that.

Btw, my usage is such that the battery on my 2017 SE was at about 84% after 5.5 years of use.

Looking at the feedback on the replacement batteries - I am in a bit of a fix. The OE battery is not doing good, replacements said to be not good. And I have 5 days of limited warranty left.
The above what I mentioned is for replacement battery itself. Original one of mine lasted 4 years.(was at 75%)

I replaced it at icarefon at trivandrum,kerala. From day 1 I was using 5w charger after the replacement.
Inorder to maximise the charge i keep brightness to medium level.

The 5% drop i had was because I had forgotten to take my phone out of the car and it heated up a bit. Else I think it would still have been at 98-100% levels.

Last edited by SideView : 25th December 2023 at 11:20.
Old 25th December 2023, 22:38   #16152
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all who responded to me. But kahani mein twist.

Much against my desire to stick to a small phone, I ended up moving to the 14 today. A spend that I had not planned to do.

A Starlight white 128GB from Croma retail.

Though Warranty was valid till 1st Jan, couple of points came up:

1. The feedback regarding the replacement battery (see above)
2. Got my nephew to check with a store manager he knew, who said best to exchange it. A battery replacement will show up in the phone and will also cause a drop in exchange value.

Having got used to the alternate day charging (yes, that is how much I use the phone) I was not happy having to charge at twice the frequency. A replacement battery would likely not bring things back to where it was.

I still have the Spigen case for the 13 mini with me. In case any one wants, please DM me. Have posted in the give-away thread too. Will mail it across.

Last edited by condor : 25th December 2023 at 22:54.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:51   #16153
BHPian

Quote:
Much against my desire to stick to a small phone, I ended up moving to the 14 today.

A Starlight white 128GB from Croma retail.

...Got my nephew to check with a store manager he knew, who said best to exchange it. A battery replacement will show up in the phone and will also cause a drop in exchange value.
Good decision. Battery replacement does not really serve the intended purpose. Wish you a happy ownership with your latest acquisition: the iPhone 14.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 13:16   #16154
BHPian

So, which charging brick to purchase for iPhone 15 devices?
Do we have to prefer the iPhone orginal charger which retails for around INR 699/- OR is there any other alternatives?

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B...7PCNJ37WZ&th=1
Old 26th December 2023, 13:24   #16155
Senior - BHPian

My iPhone 7 (2018) is on a replacement battery. The original battery was replaced in 2021.

I have been using it as a backup phone since last one year. Strangely, the battery health shows 100% till now

It is being used only for sleep tracking / fitness. Battery % drops to ~20% usually by day end, which I feel is normal for an old phone with a replacement battery.

The iPhone Thread-1.jpg

The iPhone Thread-2.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks